What's new

Vacuum containers

For your ground coffee and coffee beans, what's the best vacuum canister , Coffeevac , Tightvac , Kilovac ??...The Osaka cannisters don't get great reviews...

For your ground coffee and coffee beans, what's the best vacuum canister , Coffeevac , Tightvac , Kilovac ??...The Osaka cannisters don't get great reviews...

I keep green beans in canvas bags and roasted beans in Tightvac canisters at home.

When I travel I take stainless Airscape canisters as they are more durable on the road

I keep green beans in canvas bags and roasted beans in Tightvac canisters at home.

When I travel I take stainless Airscape canisters as they are more durable on the road
Airscape canisters have very consistent reviews, they look well made.

They are the best I have found but they are expensive

They have an inside sliding lid and positive air lock out mech as well as a normal gasket lid (2 lids)

Mine isn't vacuum but I like my CoffeeGator container. It seems to keep the beans nice and fresh. Every time I open it up I can see the oils on the beans. And reasonably priced as well.

I've had an Airscape for a few years. Very satisfied with it. Mal, what did you decide on?
I did a ton of reading , especially articles by pro roasters....They all say the same thing, keep green beans in the Fridge in a sealed jar , and roast and grind as needed..A few did experiments with ground coffee in dark cans or jars, sealed with masking tape , and the above mentioned specialty canisters , they found no difference...I decided to go that route...Grind fresh , small amounts , and use regular empty Illy cans sealed with duct tape to store excess......Works great.

I roast between 12 and 16 oz at a time, which will last me about a week. After roasting, I use the Airscape. Maybe I'll try keeping the Airscape in the fridge.

I am not convinced that "vacuum" containers with degassing values are worth the extra expense. I am not trying to knock them, as I had always planned to buy a couple myself but never got around to it. I continue to put my freshly roasted coffee into glass jars. It is rare that freshly roasted coffee would sit inside a jar for more than 7-10 days without being opened but it has happened. A little extra pressure is built up but that was the only side effect.

I did not do this, but I considered getting a dozen or so smaller jars to store freshly roasted coffee. So that each jar held a day or two worth of coffee to minimize the effect of opening/closing the jar and introducing more oxygen. Since it seemed that unless one had an elaborate storage system where the air in the container gets removed or displaced by Nitrogen that the repeated open/closing of the container means the coffee is still aging at about the same rate in one air tight container as compared to the next one.

I don't de-gas. I place freshly roasted beans directly into >1lb Tightvac canisters

I figure the release of CO2 in a marginal vacuum is better than letting O2 get at the roasted coffee.

I have 4 Tightvac canisters filled from yesterdays roasting, stored in a kitchen cabinet away from heat and light. I'll open them one at a time and fill the hopper of my Forte BG, keeping the rest closed and full of CO2.

Top Bottom