What's new

Vacumatic section lose

Hi, I'm trying to restore a Vacumatic, a later model with the plunger made of plastic. I managed to take it all apart, wash it and dry it. Am waiting for the diaphragm and the inserting tool to be delivered so that I can re-assemble it.
I have a problem though, the section does not screw properly on the barrel, it keeps turning without locking as it should.
It has been lying in a drawer for years and when I went to get it out I discovered this problem.
Is there a way to get the section back in place so that it seals the pen ?
Could I use shellac on the thread and block it in this way ?
Could I use silicon, the one used in bathrooms, to seal it properly ?
Thank you for your suggestions
Marco

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If the threads aren't allowing you to tighten it you need to figure whether it's a stripped section or, heaven help you, the female barrel threads stripped or cracked. That needs to be really tight to prevent leaks, I use a special Sheaffer formula as a section sealant as extra insurance. Usually I don't even remove the section.

But I would not try to glue it with shellac or silicone. Figure out why it's loose and replace the part.

Probably why it was stuffed in a drawer.

You can also always ask Ron Zorn at Main Street Pens for repair advice and parts.

Hi Doug, I've been browsing for a Vacumatic barrel online but no luck. The barrel where the section 'screws' on is not cracked of this I'm sure I've looked at it very closely and carefully :-(
THank you for your suggestions though

If you've confirmed that the barrel isn't cracked, then as Doug said, the threads of the section or barrel are stripped. I'm going to assume that the section is the correct one for this barrel and not a mismatch.

I agree that Ron Zorn is a great options for having the work completed. Another good option is Joel Hamilton and his sister Sherrell at www.ink-pen.com.

For parts, try Rob at Five Star Pens. He has a mountain of parts. If you don't see what you need on the website, shoot him an email.

Top Bottom