What's new

vacation scores and help identify a razor (again! please.

Just got back from vacation on the west coast of Holland and I wanted to show you my hoard.
My wife and daughter treated me to some brushes, soap and alum blocks. And at a local museum/antique shop my wife spotted a tech among a pile of watches and believe it or not hand granades!!! when I asked how much the guy said €5? I think it was a starting price from which to haggle, but i thought it was a fair price, considering it was money to support the local museum. We got talking about all kinds of things, and a few minutes later he walked off and came back with some blades that I could have for free, which I thought was kind.
$IMG_1504.JPG
When we got back to germany one of my many ebay purchases had arrived. I really regret not documenting the clean-up. it really is remarkable what a bit of soap and baking soda can do.

I'm leaning towards 1918 oldtype, but nothing I can find on the internet or mr.razors site corresponds to the markings.
$IMG_1505.JPG

$IMG_1506.JPG
The top has a 'gillette known the world over' logo embossed in it.
the serial number is F371434 and it has pat. nov 15.04 n (?) plus the french 'g' on it.
The manual, however, looks like the 1907 old type manual on mr.razors site, but it has 6. 100m 7. 14. on page 2, which mr razors's doesnt have. I'm guessing the same 1907 instructions were sent out with much later razors. but its a bit confusing for an amateur like myself.

$IMG_1507.JPG

as always, any help with identification is greatly appreciated.

I also bought a flying eagle set (which I love), a tiny travel set, a black beauty adjustable, a boxed NOS ball end tech (thats my decription - I actually have no idea what i bought) and a black and red boxed set which was previously owned by the illustrious mr.razor?
all of these purchases were free wifi/beer induced! what a great holiday!

$IMG_1509.JPG

The Single Ring was made in England, and you can't use the US dating info, it's not from 1918, it was made much earlier but we don't know enough about them to date the razors accurately.

The F series were supposedly made for the French market, according to one of the theories, and the one that makes more sense, IMHO.

There's a thread about it but I'm on Tapa and can't search it now. Perhaps someone else could link it.
Congrats on the scores.

thanks for the information. you sir, know your stuff.

I got my info from the wiki. but it only just occurred to met that its US dating information, and not global.... the penny drops!

Under the US info, if you scroll all the way down you'll see a link to the English info. There's info about the razors owned by the membership, and the link to the discussion thread.

Thanks everyone.

If i understand edgar and john's links then i make it pre 1915, but any closer is guess work. Still a bonus considering i was happy with 1918. I get a big kick out of shaving with something that could already be over 100 years old.

if ordered a kilo tub of bicarbonate from amazon. Im going to give my other 1908 razor a half dozen of so baths in it. Wonderful stuff.

Top Bottom