What's new

V60 Osmotic Flow

I recently picked up a Brewista Artisan 1 liter all-black electric kettle and have been enjoying it so far.

For the Hario V60 01 brewing I had been using a v-neck electric kettle (since I had no goose neck kettle) and either using the Gabi DripMaster B or the melodrip.

So armed with the goose neck, I decided to try out the 'osmotic flow' recipe from The Coffee Chronicler:
This was the best cup of coffee for the V60 so far for me so I thought I would pass this along.

I noted that the brewler that he used to show grind size is back in stock: BREWLER - https://www.kruveinc.com/products/brewler
Here is another video from The Coffee Chronicler on grind size and uses the brewler as a reference:

Here is a link for more information about osmotic flow: BREWING GUIDE | CAFEC - SANYO SANGYO | Your tools really give life to your roasted coffee beans? CAFEC has the best answer. - https://cafec-jp.com/brewing-guide/

Happy brewing!

Interesting, this Osmotic pouring method has been my default, probably because I was learning about the v60 a decade or so ago. When reading about the "recommended" options for pouring back then there seemed to be two main techniques, either a continuous slow pour or pulsing (pouring in 3 or more stages). I more or less settled on a continuous pour, or a hybrid that was closer to a continuous pour. At least not letting all the water drain out before the end, since that can allow the coffee bed to compact and slow down the final pour too much if pouring in discrete stages. Over the past year I have stirred my large v60 brews on occasion, but I find it too easy to compact the coffee bed during the stir and I am lazy to do it.

The Osmotic method of pouring can test the capability of your goose neck kettle, separating the "drippers" from all the rest. For example my Kalita Wave kettle can literally drip a drop of water where I want it, no matter if it is full or nearly empty. Where in comparison my Bonavita kettle struggles with the same test, especially when it is more than halfway full. While the Bonavita works well enough for pour overs, when pouring slowly the dribble of water will sometimes cling to the tip and not fall where intended.

I find a pure Osmotic method to be easier to execute with a Melitta dripper rather than a v60. The comments he makes about holding the kettle steady and rocking the body to make it easier to pour are worth highlighting. There is much less hand/arm/shoulder movement when pouring in a ellipse shape (Melitta) as compared to a circle (v60). I could not imagine being a barista and making v60 Osmotic pours all day long, it would get tiring even though there is not that much weight involved.

I like "The Coffee Chronicler" presentation style. I was looking for a new scale last month, primarily for espresso preparation but I also wanted it to work with pour-overs. My current scale is unreliable. I ordered a Timemore Black Mirror a few weeks ago in large part after seeing his youtube review. His was the most in depth review of this particular scale.

I like "The Coffee Chronicler" presentation style. I was looking for a new scale last month, primarily for espresso preparation but I also wanted it to work with pour-overs. My current scale is unreliable. I ordered a Timemore Black Mirror a few weeks ago in large part after seeing his youtube review. His was the most in depth review of this particular scale.
I bought the same scale based on his video as well.

I also bought my 1Zpresso JX manual coffee grinder based mostly on a pair of his videos as well as his website article:

My Review of 1ZPresso Jx & Jx Pro | The Coffee Chronicler - https://coffeechronicler.com/1zpresso-jx-review/

I have found many of his videos and articles to be very informative.

I bought the same scale based on his video as well.

I also bought my 1Zpresso JX manual coffee grinder based mostly on a pair of his videos as well as his website article:

My Review of 1ZPresso Jx & Jx Pro | The Coffee Chronicler - https://coffeechronicler.com/1zpresso-jx-review/

I have found many of his videos and articles to be very informative.
Nice combination of scale and grinder. You must be enjoying your v60 and other coffee brews.
I ordered my scale from AliExpress and have began to anticipate its arrival this past week, but it is still not here.

Nice combination of scale and grinder. You must be enjoying your v60 and other coffee brews.
I ordered my scale from AliExpress and have began to anticipate its arrival this past week, but it is still not here.
Thanks!

I have not ordered from AliEspress before but had looked at that site for some of the KZ in ear monitor/earbuds. Have you had good success with ordering from them?

I have not been using the silicone mat that came with the TimeMore Black Mirror scale until today. I mostly am brewing into Carter mugs or other insulated mugs, so I am not worried about the temperature hitting the scale, but today I added the silicone mat for kicks and liked how it keeps the mug and coffee measure from moving around (even though it does collect coffee fines).

The manual for that scale does not accurately tell you how to turn on/off the auto timer (the details are lost in the translation). I found this in the reviews on Amazon:
"TO ENABLE AUTO TIMING MODE:
TAP the timer button [repeatedly] until you hear a beep and the display counts down 3-2-1 on the right side. You'll notice an "A" symbol above the timer. Now when you start your timer it won't start counting until it detects a change in weight."

The auto timer setting will stick through power cycles if I remember correctly. Once it is enabled, you tap the timer button, it then does a count down and then waits for the weight to change to start timing. To pause the timer, tap the timer button. To reset the timer, tap and hold the timer button. You disable the auto timer the same way you enable it.
I noticed that if I tried to swirl the slurry and auto timer was on, the timer would stop (as would the weight measurement!). So I don't use the auto timer if I plan to swirl.

As to enjoying the V60 and other brews I definitely am having fun! I feel I am still in discovery mode. For years, I was using a Kyocera CM50CF manual grinder and a Planetary Designs 'double shot' French press mug (since it held heat better than my regular French press, took up less space and traveled well), measuring beans by volume and boiling water in a microwave (and eventually by a v-neck electric kettle with no temperature control). Since last year, I have upgraded grinder, added a scale (after first trying out the kitchen scale I already had but was tired of the delay to notice additional weight and overshooting my water target) and a goose neck kettle with temperature control so now I can dial things in. I now need to figure out what the settings l like with all these new tools! I have been bouncing between the V60 and the Stagg XF dripper. I have also been playing with the melodrip and the Gabi Drip Master B. I am amazed at how many V60 recipes there are! I just found this one video comparing several methods:

I need to settle on one specific coffee for a while so I can really settle things in for each recipe.

I may try out the April method next. Here was a variation on the April method by the same YouTuber:

Last edited:
Thanks!

I have not ordered from AliEspress before but had looked at that site for some of the KZ in ear monitor/earbuds. Have you had good success with ordering from them?

I have not been using the silicone mat that came with the TimeMore Black Mirror scale until today. I mostly am brewing into Carter mugs or other insulated mugs, so I am not worried about the temperature hitting the scale, but today I added the silicone mat for kicks and liked how it keeps the mug and coffee measure from moving around (even though it does collect coffee fines).

The manual for that scale does not accurately tell you how to turn on/off the auto timer (the details are lost in the translation). I found this in the reviews on Amazon:
"TO ENABLE AUTO TIMING MODE:
TAP the timer button [repeatedly] until you hear a beep and the display counts down 3-2-1 on the right side. You'll notice an "A" symbol above the timer. Now when you start your timer it won't start counting until it detects a change in weight."

The auto timer setting will stick through power cycles if I remember correctly. Once it is enabled, you tap the timer button, it then does a count down and then waits for the weight to change to start timing. To pause the timer, tap the timer button. To reset the timer, tap and hold the timer button. You disable the auto timer the same way you enable it.
I noticed that if I tried to swirl the slurry and auto timer was on, the timer would stop (as would the weight measurement!). So I don't use the auto timer if I plan to swirl.

As to enjoying the V60 and other brews I definitely am having fun! I feel I am still in discovery mode. For years, I was using a Kyocera CM50CF manual grinder and a Planetary Designs 'double shot' French press mug (since it held heat better than my regular French press, took up less space and traveled well), measuring beans by volume and boiling water in a microwave (and eventually by a v-neck electric kettle with no temperature control). Since last year, I have upgraded grinder, added a scale (after first trying out the kitchen scale I already had but was tired of the delay to notice additional weight and overshooting my water target) and a goose neck kettle with temperature control so now I can dial things in. I now need to figure out what the settings l like with all these new tools! I have been bouncing between the V60 and the Stagg XF dripper. I have also been playing with the melodrip and the Gabi Drip Master B. I am amazed at how many V60 recipes there are! I just found this one video comparing several methods:

I need to settle on one specific coffee for a while so I can really settle things in for each recipe.

I may try out the April method next. Here was a variation on the April method by the same YouTuber:

I have had pretty good luck ordering from AliExpress over the past few years, but I have not had to make any claims for missing or damaged goods. I have ordered small items like shavettes, watch bands, USB adapters, smartphone cases, etc. Sometimes items that are not available on ebay or Amazon. Except for some shipping delays the experience has been pretty good. I find that their shipping has improved somewhat over time.

I enjoyed this "Battle of Pourovers" video from Carl but is he old enough to drink coffee. :laugh: Or maybe drinking coffee keeps one looking youthful. :001_smile I want to try the Tetsu Kasuya recipe, where he grinds fine and brews quickly. I have been waiting to experiment with that approach, to save a little time and see if the brighter notes would be highlighted. I still have an aversion to complicated recipes with stirring this way and that way, so I am naturally drawn to how Mr. Cafec was showing his Osmotic technique in the previous post.

It is difficult to know the cause and effect when changing variables. Nearly every day I am changing coffees or brewing method, so it difficult to be certain pin down what you like the best. But it keeps things interesting.

@GoodShave Thanks for you tips on using the Timemore Black Mirror scale. I did not realize there was a pause capability. If you pause the timer will that prevent it from resetting as you swirl the coffee? One would think Timemore would be aware of these techniques and could easily accommodate for the weight disappearing for some time....though maybe that will upset those people who want to see the clock stop at the "end" of brewing.

I have had pretty good luck ordering from AliExpress over the past few years, but I have not had to make any claims for missing or damaged goods. I have ordered small items like shavettes, watch bands, USB adapters, smartphone cases, etc. Sometimes items that are not available on ebay or Amazon. Except for some shipping delays the experience has been pretty good. I find that their shipping has improved somewhat over time.

I enjoyed this "Battle of Pourovers" video from Carl but is he old enough to drink coffee. :laugh: Or maybe drinking coffee keeps one looking youthful. :001_smile I want to try the Tetsu Kasuya recipe, where he grinds fine and brews quickly. I have been waiting to experiment with that approach, to save a little time and see if the brighter notes would be highlighted. I still have an aversion to complicated recipes with stirring this way and that way, so I am naturally drawn to how Mr. Cafec was showing his Osmotic technique in the previous post.

It is difficult to know the cause and effect when changing variables. Nearly every day I am changing coffees or brewing method, so it difficult to be certain pin down what you like the best. But it keeps things interesting.
Thanks for the tip on AliExpress. I will add them to my list.

I also debated if Carl was old enough to drink coffee. :laugh: I do have to say that his video on reducing static with the 1Zpresso JX grinder was spot on.

I am glad I am not the only one that keeps changing things with my brewing. I keep notes for each technique and bean combination in hopes to finding patterns that work.

I still don't get it how the same brewed cup can taste bitter one sip and sour the next. I get that as the coffee cools that the taste changes (at least for the coffee cooling down to drinking temperature) but other than that, it is hard to make decisions on what to change if the flavor keeps changing in the same cup. I have read that coffee stratification is a real issue and have been trying out stirring the resulting brew or at least swirling the resulting brew in my cup.

Last edited:
@GoodShave Thanks for you tips on using the Timemore Black Mirror scale. I did not realize there was a pause capability. If you pause the timer will that prevent it from resetting as you swirl the coffee? One would think Timemore would be aware of these techniques and could easily accommodate for the weight disappearing for some time....though maybe that will upset those people who want to see the clock stop at the "end" of brewing.
You are welcome.

I just tried to mock up the scenario with a cup of water and it was difficult for me to get the scale to hit that exact situation again. Under normal operation, you can pause the timer any time you like by tapping the timer button (but it does not affect weight measurement). You can tap again and it will resume.

The thing that happened once when I was swirling while brewing coffee was that the timer and weight measure stopped and both were flashing. I did manage to get that to happen somehow with my cup of water this morning but I found I could just tap the timer button again and both the timer and the weight measurement started back up again. I wished I thought of that when I was actually brewing the coffee. :laugh:

I think a comment I read about this scale is that the scale is much better than its instructions.

Thanks for the tip on AliExpress. I will add them to my list.

I also debated if Carl was old enough to drink coffee. :laugh: I do have to say that his video on reducing static with the 1Zpresso JX grinder was spot on.

I am glad I am not the only one that keeps changing things with my brewing. I keep notes for each technique and bean combination in hopes to finding patterns that work.

I still don't get it how the same brewed cup can taste bitter one sip and sour the next. I get that as the coffee cools that the taste changes (at least for the coffee cooling down to drinking temperature) but other than that, it is hard to make decisions on what to change if the flavor keeps changing in the same cup. I have read that coffee stratification is a real issue and have been trying out stirring the resulting brew or at least swirling the resulting brew in my cup.
You make a good point, that the way a cup can change in taste due to the way it is mixed is yet another variable in addition to the ongoing temperature and oxidation changes. That is why I never liked that autodrip machine pause-n-serve feature to interrupt things before it is finished. Nothing upsets the taste of a pot of coffee like someone taking a cup out before the brewing is complete.

Last night I watched several videos on key concepts of pour over coffee and found a lot of things that I need to chew on for a while. I also think think I need to expand my coffee tasting vocabulary so I can distinguish what I am tasting better. I think that the sourness that I hit in previous brews was probably the acidity so that was how I could have bitter and sour tones at the same time. I started to watch a James Hoffmann video last night on coffee tasting but but ran out of time and did not finish it.

This morning, I tried out the Cafec osmotic method. Since the video did not mention ratios or water temperature, I went with the Coffee Chronicler's settings (1:15 ratio coffee to water, 2.5x water for the bloom, 93C for water temperature). Overall, the coffee came out pretty well. I paused to read my notes as I went (too much to keep in my head first thing in the morning) so there was a gap before my final pour. I also forgot to pour in a small but expanding circle for the final pour and just went for swirls at the end.

I think that my previous focus with the V60 was the amount of water to pour at points. Now I am starting to focus on the speed of my pour. I think once I get a feel for pouring speed with my new kettle, I may revisit other other recipes.

@StillShaving I figured out a few more details with the Timemore Black Mirror scale. With the auto timer engaged and brewing coffee, I discovered that instead of pausing the timer, if you lift up the coffee from the scale it automatically stops and the time and weight flashes. My guess is that this is an auto stop feature that lets you know the final draw down and weight (assuming that you are done brewing). You could press the timer button to continue if you like.

Top Bottom