What's new

USPS package Stuck in Jamaica, NY since February

Hello,
I don't know if it's the right section.
I bought a razor but the package is stuck in NY Jamaica International since February 13th. The tracking does not update and I didn't received anything yet. I am in Italy.
I can't contact USPS because First Class International isn't elegibile for "missing mail". What can I do? Is it lost?

The last entry on your tracking shows the package in the International Service Center in Jaimaca, NY, but that may not be where the package is held up. From what I read, it normally takes no more than five days for a package to clear customs. Packages that are sent using better carrier may clear much faster.

At some point, mail has to be transferred to the the International postal system. Once USPS is no longer in control of the package, the USPS tracking will no longer function unless USPS has a specific agreement with the postal service in another country like it does with Canada Post. If the package has left the USA, it could be anywhere in the world. It may show up eventually, or it may never show up. The exception to that is if the package is going to a U.S Territory, army post office, fleet post office, or diplomatic post office address.

Shipping parcels to another country using USPS First Class is risky. Yes, it does save on shipping costs, but you have no guarantee the package will ever arrive and there is no insurance available. If you had used a higher class of shipping such as USPS Priority Mail, then some insurance would have been available with the basic level being free and higher amount being possible if paid extra. Even better, but probably more expensive is using an International carrier such as DHL, UPS or FedEx that would retain control of the package from origin to delivery. Your first class package might have been placed in a container on an ocean vessel.

If the package was shipped from a company that routinely does business Internationally, you might contact them and see if they have any advice. Otherwise, you option may be to wait and hope your package shows up eventually.

It is possible that the package has reached Italy, but is stuck in customs there. I found the following note on the USPS web site concerning shipments to Italy.

3-16-21

Italy’s post advises that there is a backlog at the customs warehouse due to very high and unexpected parcel volumes received from non-EU countries. The post is facing considerable difficulties in storing and clearing these incoming parcel post items and the situation is leading to slower transit times from the airmail unit to the office of exchange. Customers are advised of possible delays resulting from the current situation.

I was in a similar boat. Mine had been shipped on February 16, then stuck in Jamaica, NY since February 26. The seller said a claim can be filed after 60 days and before 120 days, so that put my mind at ease.

Anyway, just checked again, and it was just processed in France earlier today, so nearly two months stuck and it's moving. My only frustration now is that it still doesn't say that it's on its way to the final destination, so I'm guessing it will move to 1-2 more places before I receive it.

@RayClem

I got a Flare Tip from a private seller, 12 €, so didn't worth paying twice the razor's value for shipping.
The problem is that I made 3 more orders with First Class International and they all arrived in 20/30 days and the last voice tracking of these packages, after "Departed USPS Facility Jamaica NY" was "In transit to the next facility. Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination."

For this razor instead the track is always stopped at Departed from NY Jamaica. I think it got lost. Seller has contacted USPS but still need to let me know. Thanks you all for the help, maybe it will come!

Had a similar issue.. a forum member shipped a razor from the US to Europe I never received it tracking made a global round but it never got to me...$50 lost

@RayClem

I got a Flare Tip from a private seller, 12 €, so didn't worth paying twice the razor's value for shipping.
The problem is that I made 3 more orders with First Class International and they all arrived in 20/30 days and the last voice tracking of these packages, after "Departed USPS Facility Jamaica NY" was "In transit to the next facility. Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination."

For this razor instead the track is always stopped at Departed from NY Jamaica. I think it got lost. Seller has contacted USPS but still need to let me know. Thanks you all for the help, maybe it will come!

I understand fully. I would not have wanted to spend $25 euros to guarantee delivery of a razor worth half that. Hopefully, it will show up some day as a big surprise.

Exactly, however Maggards is reasonably trustworthy with relatively fair shipping rates but you have to be patient shipping usually takes 3 weeks to Europe

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I understand fully. I would not have wanted to spend $25 euros to guarantee delivery of a razor worth half that. Hopefully, it will show up some day as a big surprise.
Shipping costs for international shipments are really high.
The cheapest is USPS First Class mail. A small package that weighs over 8 oz is $28.25.
Small Priority Mail International flat rate box is $39.40.
Priority Express International is $66.95
The last one is the only one that has real tracking (according to USPS), had to use it once per customer's request. For the other shipments I think the only way of tracking is the customs number.
The big shippers, UPS and FedEx, are north of $100 for such a shipment.
For my brushes, I use nearly exclusively USPS First class mail international. So far, I have not had any problems or losses; everything I shipped arrived eventually. Prior to CoVid, a package made it with 5-7 days to Europe, my record was 4 days from here to the UK. But, since the pandemic, all kind of shipping services have slowed down, in some cases drastically.
My last shipment of knots from Shavemac in Germany to me with FEDEX was some 5+ weeks, with about 3 and a half week sitting here in the US in customs clearance.

Shipping costs for international shipments are really high.
The cheapest is USPS First Class mail. A small package that weighs over 8 oz is $28.25.
Small Priority Mail International flat rate box is $39.40.
Priority Express International is $66.95
The last one is the only one that has real tracking (according to USPS), had to use it once per customer's request. For the other shipments I think the only way of tracking is the customs number.
Don't know about "real tracking" but I am totally confused by USPS pricing. I've been sent razors with and without tracking for $15.25. Can't figure out why tracking is possible at certain points and not others. Other times, I've been send goods for $25+ and been told that the post office said it's the cheapest overseas shipment option (for one razor) despite me knowing that the $15.25 option exists.

Rudy Vey

Don't know about "real tracking" but I am totally confused by USPS pricing. I've been sent razors with and without tracking for $15.25. Can't figure out why tracking is possible at certain points and not others. Other times, I've been send goods for $25+ and been told that the post office said it's the cheapest overseas shipment option (for one razor) despite me knowing that the $15.25 option exists.
With "real" I meant you can track all the stages where the package is, I guess that is what you pay for. Tracking via the customs number really shows only when it left the country and when it arrives in the destination country.
As I said, I only used International Express once per customer's request. I would also assume most of my customers would not be willing to pay the extra cost.
First Class international is weight depending, under 8 oz it something like $15/16 now, and above 8 oz it goes up to the $28.25 - its really not an option, just based on weight.

Jamaica, NY is probably Customs at JFK airport. Could take a while to clear and there is simply no getting any real details until it clears and is in the hands of the carrier.

Also USPS has been horribly slow and will likely stay that way. Paying extra for expedited shipping is a waste.
I paid extra for 2-Day Shipping from NJ to Missouri. I tracked the package
as it spent 2 full weeks going up and down the eastern seaboard with no apparent
logic to the journey. Finally got to the destination on the 17th day.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh fiddle sticks. Was checking on a tracking number and it went from Jersey City, NJ -> Jamaica NY International Dist. Centre. Kinda hoping it doesn't get held up like yours did...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I bought a 400ml of Proraso splash from WCS for a birthday gift to my cousin nearly 3 weeks ago. The FedEx tracking says it went from Florence SC to Charlotte the day after I bought it, where it appears it has been sitting for the past 18 days.

Rudy Vey

Yes, international shipping - it is truly amazing these days.
Shipped a brush and a pen to Italy and it made it there in just over a week - USPS First Class International service.
My last shipment from Shavemac via FEDEX took some five weeks, with a 3 weeks or so customs clearance delay here in the US.

Rudy Vey

Another update on USPS First Class International: shipped here on the 5 of May, about mid day, arrived this morning in the UK.
This is super fast as it used to be some 5-6 years ago when one of my shipments made it in four days to the UK.

Top Bottom