What's new

Using water before and during shave

Hello all. I was just watching a razor review on YouTube and I noticed that the gentleman in question seemed to use no water to prep his face before applying lather. He didn’t even rinse with water between passes. Does anyone here practice this technique? Is there any advantages to it?

Personally I always wash my face with plenty of water and soap to prep for my shave, as well as rinsing thoroughly between passes. I’ve always been made to believe that water softens the beard and makes for a better shave (it’s called wet shaving after all). Is there enough hydration in the lather that all this washing and rinsing is unnecessary? Counterproductive even? Your thoughts please.

Hello all. I was just watching a razor review on YouTube and I noticed that the gentleman in question seemed to use no water to prep his face before applying lather. He didn’t even rinse with water between passes. Does anyone here practice this technique? Is there any advantages to it?

Personally I always wash my face with plenty of water and soap to prep for my shave, as well as rinsing thoroughly between passes. I’ve always been made to believe that water softens the beard and makes for a better shave (it’s called wet shaving after all). Is there enough hydration in the lather that all this washing and rinsing is unnecessary? Counterproductive even? Your thoughts please.
I do the same. Plenty of water before, during and after the shave. Water is your friend.

I think the key is to do whatever works for you. I personally use water before, during, and after. If you're really curious, try it without water. If you don't like it, it's only one shave wasted but then you'll know based on your own experience. Good luck...

1870_two_cents_rev.jpg

I never understood wiping off residual lather or rinsing your face between passes. It seems to me you're just wiping off what you're getting ready to put back on your face. I might spread the residual lather around my face between passes if I'm evaluating a new soap, but usually I just reapply lather and move on.

It's called "wet" shaving because you use water.
I recall times in the service when I had to "dry" shave.
"Wet" is better.
Yes, but I could also see myself going without the full sink of water or running water from the faucet to rinse my face. But instead using the water already in the pre-soaked brush and dipping the tips of the bristles in a cup of water when additional hydration of the lather is required.

As I stated earlier, it's only one shave and I'm willing to try it just to satisfy my own curiosity. If I had stopped trying new tips, tricks, and techniques "discovered" here on B&B I'd still have the one razor/blade/brush/soap combo I started out with when I first joined :cool:

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me personally, I wet before shaving, but I don't rinse between passes. Sometimes I'll apply another pat of water between passes if I feel like it needs it. If I'm doing the cartridge/can in-a-hurry routine, then I like to keep the cartridge wet (after rinsing the foam/hair out, I will minimally shake it off, maybe just a slight bob).

But there's no strict rule or anything, just kinda feel and see how it's going sorta thing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yes, but I could also see myself going without the full sink of water or running water from the faucet to rinse my face. But instead using the water already in the pre-soaked brush and dipping the tips of the bristles in a cup of water when additional hydration of the lather is required.

As I stated earlier, it's only one shave and I'm willing to try it just to satisfy my own curiosity. If I had stopped trying new tips, tricks, and techniques "discovered" here on B&B I'd still have the one razor/blade/brush/soap combo I started out with when I first joined :cool:
You should shave in a manner that makes you happy. You're the only one that you have to please in that regard.
As for me personally, I'm quite happy with copious amounts of hot H2O.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I use hot water as my pre, water for the brush to build lather, a few drops on the tips between passes mainly for warmth, and hit the shower when I finish the third pass. That has worked pretty well for about sixty years.

During the first pass ,the blade edge except cutting the facial hair ,it scrapes the skin .A soft peeling action indeed.

Small particles of whiskers ,dead skin cells ,dust and atmospheric debris ,a variety of bacteria including staphylococcus species ,various fungus spores,skin acari ,etc are left to the shaved skin .
It is a wise practice to rinse the skin with plenty of water ,before applying lather for a second pass( or third ,or fourth ! )
Otherwise ,the blade edge can
potentially push them inside the skin and inflammation or even worse ,an infection can occur .

Do not forget : We shave using a really sharp blade.
A rather excellent way for skin tissue to go septic...

Always clean thoroughly the
area that is going to be shaved.Before,during and after the shave.

It's simply a matter of hygiene.

Last edited:
So I just tried this myself. It was a little rough starting out but became better throughout the shave, presumably from lather sitting on my face longer. Ultimately I got an acceptable shave but neither as close nor as smooth as with my regular prep. The YouTuber I’m referring to has a channel called “shave326” where he does a lot of product reviews. He seems to use the dry method regularly.

Always before, always after, sometimes in the middle, but not always. After the first pass I don't have the whiskers to help generate and hold the lather as well, and rinsing at halftime just thins what lather is remaining in the brush even more (granted, you don't need wedding cake-thick lather to finish what you started).

Top Bottom