What's new

Using Vintage Razor on Vintage Strop

Hello all,

I recently bought an antique razor (1880s) and leather strop (1870s), and plan on using them. The razor is in excellent shape and has been restored, but I am not so sure about the strop. I am unfamiliar with the delicacy of 19th century razors, and what kind of leather they can handle without getting damaged:

IMG_8517.JPG
IMG_8516.JPGIMG_8515.JPGIMG_8514.JPG

The seller said that as long as the razor is below the grade of the leather surface, it should be fine. However, I don't know how if the razor is below that grade. I wanted to get an opinion from you all since I am worried about damaging the blade. Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! That is a very nice looking French razor. When they say grade, do they mean the general condition of it (poor, very good, mint)? I've never heard of anyone using that system in this context, and it doesn't sound like a good indicator. As far as damage to the razor, steel is harder than leather. So unless there's something in the strop that's harder than steel you would never do macro-damage. I do see some big cuts in that leather though, they should generally be avoided when stropping as any razor's edge can be delicate. Personally, I'd get a new strop that is worthy of that excellent blade or put a new piece of leather on that antique strop.

Legion

Staff member
That strop looks pretty beat up. Steel can last that long, but leather... that’s a pretty big ask. I’d keep the strop as a decoration, and buy a new one to use.

I would say that strop could use a good saddle soap clean and leather conditioner. As far as that huge nick, I’d trim it off flush with an x-acto or SE blade and make it flush with the leather around it. and then use it as a starter strop. You will nick a strop the first time you use one just getting down the feel of how you use it. At the very least use it as a starter strop then once you feel comfortable enough move into something a bit nicer. As far as the razor, you need to be careful with the old French frame backs, just make sure the blade is tightly seated into the frame before you strop and use it to avoid any mishaps.

Larry

Thank you everyone for your replies. Because the blade is something I want to maintain for decades, it would be best to get a new strop (at least something to start out with). The razor is more important.

Top Bottom