What's new

Using very old razor blades

I got quite a few razors blades I bought at an antique store a few months back ago, and I was just thinking I might try shaving with a few, but had some concerns. Now I can't think of any health reasons which would be my biggest reason not to as I have a compromised immune system. Any others know of something I may be overlooking?

you'll be fine healthwise - but theyll be dull. Over the years, the edge will have rusted a little. If you give them a bit of a hone, however, they should work fairly well

you'll be fine healthwise - but theyll be dull. Over the years, the edge will have rusted a little. If you give them a bit of a hone, however, they should work fairly well

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If the blades are unused, you can always give them a go!

I am ever curious about old DE blades. I have tried a good many with mixed results. If the blades are made of carbon steel it is a real crap shoot because it now depends a lot on how well they were stored over the years. If they are still sealed in cellophane the chances increase that they will be usable. But that is not always the case. I have used blades that were unsealed and had good results and, on the other hand, I've tried blades sealed in plastic and couldn't finish a shave with them. If the packaging looks worn and the blades look dull or have rust spots then they probably will disappoint. One thing to keep in mind with carbon steel blades is that even when they are in perfect condition there will be some degree of pull when shaving with them. This is to be expected and this is how they performed even when new. None of them will feel at all like shaving with a coated stainless steel blade.

Good luck with them and do post your results.

Ok well I might give them a try sometime just to see. Have almost 100 of them and don't think I'll feel like selling them. Not sure if there'd be a lot of interest. They are sealed so guess I might as well roll the dice sometime. Maybe I'll find shaving nirvana where I least expect it!

Also, if they are in a dispenser you might end up having pretty good luck with them, providing they are not stuck together. I have has some pretty good shaves with the stainless steel blades made in the 60's and 70's that were packaged in dispensers.

Top Bottom