What's new

Using Rolls Razor blade in a regular SE razor!

I was wondering would it be possible to remove the safety bar from a Rolls Razor and use the blade in a single edge Ever Ready razor? Or any other SE razor for that matter.

Having a look, it appears that it would probably fit, and I think it should still be possible to strop the Rolls blade as normal.

Was just wondering as I find the handles on SE razors much better to hold than the very puny handle on the Rolls Razor.

I wonder why the Rolls handle was made so tiny?

Has anyone here ever tried this?

What about in an Ever Ready SE razor which is the SE razor I have?

Pretty much the same thing as the GEM -- made by the same people (American Saftey Razor), probably in the same factory and same assembly line -- just a different name stamped into the metal. Might have different handles as well, but it may be that my particular samples have different handles just because they were made at different times.

What model ever-ready? What year made?
Older SE razors took a wedge blade similar to the rolls, but newer SE razors were made to fit thin disposible blades like a gillette DE, only twice as thick and a single edge

I'm not sure about the year/model.

It's one with the very ornate handle which I *think* is one of the older models. It does look like there's a gap in there above the back of the blade so perhaps it would have been designed for a wedge.

The ornate handle type are made to take disposible flat blades, not the wedge type. By old, I meant pre 1910, as the 1912 SE razors by GEM and ever-ready are fairly well known and they will not take a wedge blade.

Wedge type SE razors had huge heads and plain handles (like metal poles or turned wood)

If you really want a wedge single edge razor, try find an old wilkinson 7 day set, a really really really old GEM (edit or Star or any or the other pre disposible brands/models), or stick with the rolls.

Last edited:
Hi Zero! I am a big Rolls Razor fan. They are piling up like cordwood at my place!! I like to play with em, polish em, sharpen em, ya know.

But, it never entered my teensy brain even once to think "I wonder why the Rolls handle was made so tiny?"

That is a great question! I am not sure why they never did, but I can! I am definately going to entertain the idea of creating different handle types to hold the Rolls blade. Why not? I too find them on the small side, and creating a bigger handle is just the challenge I think I would want!

They clearly were hampered by the size of the case in regards to the handle size. They wanted one that would fit easily inside. But, I have no such concerns!!

Thanx for the thought Zero! I have no idea how to solve it yet, but solve it I shall!! :thumbup1:

Thanx for the thought Zero! I have no idea how to solve it yet, but solve it I shall!! :thumbup1:

Excellent RocketMan! Glad you like the idea of a different handle for the Rolls. If you come up with any ideas send me a PM in case you post on the forum and I miss it.

Excellent RocketMan! Glad you like the idea of a different handle for the Rolls. If you come up with any ideas send me a PM in case you post on the forum and I miss it.

Well, at least you are more positive than that Dave Irving guy! :wink:

ps dave - if i stuck some tape on the handle, it would be bigger - and it would work! So there! Then there is tape and a toothpick, and tape and a ... and then there is .... ha!

Well, at least you are more positive than that Dave Irving guy! :wink:

ps dave - if i stuck some tape on the handle, it would be bigger - and it would work! So there! Then there is tape and a toothpick, and tape and a ... and then there is .... ha!

hahahahaha.

i was referring to using the actual RR blade in another razor. a bigger handle for it is a great idea :001_smile

I would like to see this as well. I wouldn't think it would be too hard if you went the telescopic route like some of the RR handles already are.

Wedge type SE razors had huge heads and plain handles (like metal poles or turned wood)

If you really want a wedge single edge razor, try find an old wilkinson 7 day set

I wonder if the Rolls Razor blade, minus it's safety bar, would fit in the Wilkinson Sword razor shown in the pic?

I *think* this takes wedge blades...

Top Bottom