What's new

Using Rockwell 6C with different blades

I just purchased a Rockwell 6C. Started using it with a Polisilver blade with plate 3. Nice shave, but had a thin stubble, I only did one pass. I researched the B&B forums and found that some people found increasing or decreasing the plate number for subsequent passes provided a fun and nice shave. On my next shave two days later, I used plate 3 again wtg, but this time I used plate 2 for xtg and atg. I got BBS with almost no irritation. Great shave.

It got me thinking, now that I have all these plates, how about using different plates for different blades. I checked the forum and found no discussion on adjustable razor settings with different blades.
I am thinking that it might be fun to use a Feather on a milder plate and use a smoother blade like a Derby on a more aggressive plate (I don't like Derby, and am hoping this might help).
Has anyone tried this and do you find it better or worse when you use the same blade in a non adjustable?

I just purchased a Rockwell 6C. Started using it with a Polisilver blade with plate 3. Nice shave, but had a thin stubble, I only did one pass. I researched the B&B forums and found that some people found increasing or decreasing the plate number for subsequent passes provided a fun and nice shave. On my next shave two days later, I used plate 3 again wtg, but this time I used plate 2 for xtg and atg. I got BBS with almost no irritation. Great shave.

It got me thinking, now that I have all these plates, how about using different plates for different blades. I checked the forum and found no discussion on adjustable razor settings with different blades.
I am thinking that it might be fun to use a Feather on a milder plate and use a smoother blade like a Derby on a more aggressive plate (I don't like Derby, and am hoping this might help).
Has anyone tried this and do you find it better or worse when you use the same blade in a non adjustable?

I usually adjust the setting/plate downwards on adjustables for each successive pass & find it works great for me (with the same blade- GSB)! I'll switch plates or settings mid shave for a pass, but I won't be switching out blades for each pass.

Interesting concept!!

When I used adjustables (mainly old Gillettes), I experimented until I found the optimal setting for a particular blade, then I kept that setting. Guess this is why I moved to 3-piece designs!!

I don't tend to adjust the Rockwell plates during a shave. I have found 4/5 to be the sweetspot and I have tested a bunch of blades and found the Gillette Nacet to be the best match. The Rockwell gives an effortless and efficient shave that is smooth and comfortable. When you consider the price, that combination is hard to beat (at any price point).

I don't tend to adjust the Rockwell plates during a shave. I have found 4/5 to be the sweetspot and I have tested a bunch of blades and found the Gillette Nacet to be the best match. The Rockwell gives an effortless and efficient shave that is smooth and comfortable. When you consider the price, that combination is hard to beat (at any price point).
Same here, except for me 3/4 is the sweet spot. The only blade I've found to be significantly different in it is the KAI, I think because it is wider and increases blade exposure, unnecessarily, at least for me. The other popular brands I've tried have been fine.

Glad to hear that everyone likes the Rockwell. I am still playing around with different settings and angles. Really like the shave it provides. My other razor is EJ89. Once I get a good feel for the razor and plates, I'll try different blades and see if different plates provide a better shave than the plates (3/2) that I use with the Polisilver blade and my EJ89.

When using adjustables, I actually increase the aggressiveness for the second pass.

A relatively mild setting to get rid of most of the stubble, then a more aggressive setting to get close with the second pass.

Then I’ll dial it back down to a mild setting again for any buffing or tidy up.

But with the 6S, I just keep to R3 or R4 depending on blade. It’s too much hassle to change plates mid-shave.

I’ve been using the 6s exclusively for over a year now and love it.

I haven’t changed plates mid shave but adjust the plate based on the blade I’m using.

For a feather blade, I’ll use R2 and for Dorco or Derby, I’ll use a 4. For most blades, I’ll start at 3 until I figure out which is the best plate/blade combination. Found that generally speaking it’s somewhere between 3-4 unless it’s Feather, I haven’t tried using Kai blades yet.

When using adjustables, I actually increase the aggressiveness for the second pass.

A relatively mild setting to get rid of most of the stubble, then a more aggressive setting to get close with the second pass.

Then I’ll dial it back down to a mild setting again for any buffing or tidy up.

But with the 6S, I just keep to R3 or R4 depending on blade. It’s too much hassle to change plates mid-shave.
Interesting, I figured using an aggressive setting for removing most of the stubble and as i get closer to skin, use a milder setting. I will have to try the opposite, good idea you posted.

I’ve been using the 6s exclusively for over a year now and love it.

I haven’t changed plates mid shave but adjust the plate based on the blade I’m using.

For a feather blade, I’ll use R2 and for Dorco or Derby, I’ll use a 4. For most blades, I’ll start at 3 until I figure out which is the best plate/blade combination. Found that generally speaking it’s somewhere between 3-4 unless it’s Feather, I haven’t tried using Kai blades yet.
Good post. This is what I want to try. I find Derbys too dull and they tug my stubble. But on a high plate, making razor more aggressive may improve the shave.

Good post. This is what I want to try. I find Derbys too dull and they tug my stubble. But on a high plate, making razor more aggressive may improve the shave.

I’ve also tried the 7 o’clock yellow with a different razor and thought it was way too aggressive for me, ended up trying it with the Rockwell plate 2 and got a really nice shave.

I’ve also tried the 7 o’clock yellow with a different razor and thought it was way too aggressive for me, ended up trying it with the Rockwell plate 2 and got a really nice shave.
Sounds good. That's what I'm hoping for.

I tend to just stick with a plate regardless of the blade as I don’t like messing around with the plates too much, but might well be worth a try with problem blades. I’ve found Rapira blades on 4 quite good

Top Bottom