What's new

Using Rain-X to improve the slickness of porcelain?

This is going to be a weird one....

Anyone ever try to use Rain-X, or other hydrophobic product, to coat porcelain to make it more slick and less apt to have material get caught on the surface?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I've never used a Rain-X product. But when you say slickness, what are you diving at? I'm thinking more along the lines of a wax. Generally I use Klasse All In One for similar projects

Last edited:
But when you say slickness, what are you diving at?
I replaced the toilet (I said this was weird) in the master bath a while back and from day one its been an issue with waste sticking when it hits the bowl. I can appreciate that this might occur on occasion but with this commode and my scat its almost every bloody time (I've cleaned it three times this weekend).

Don't really want to replace the toilet again so was hoping for some sort of aftermarket fix.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Ahhhhh..... I have to admit, I've never tackled that particular issue. That said, we did replace our toilets a few years ago with what were advertised as having a non stick coating. Seems to work well... Do you have a lot of mineral deposits in your water?

Have you tried automatic toilet bowl cleaner, the kind you hang in the tank?

Ahhhhh..... I have to admit, I've never tackled that particular issue. That said, we did replace our toilets a few years ago with what were advertised as having a non stick coating. Seems to work well... Do you have a lot of mineral deposits in your water?

Have you tried automatic toilet bowl cleaner, the kind you hang in the tank?
Its an American Standard with their "EverClean" surface thats supposed to help avoid this problem. Yes we have moderately hard water but its only this toilet with a problem, the other Kohlers original to the house work as they should. The automatic cleaner wouldn't really work since where the waste is hitting the bowl is above the waterline and without getting too descriptive what gets left behind isn't insignificant.

I guess the more accurate description is I'd like to reduce the adhesion of the bowl's surface.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I really wish I had an answer for you, however, I'm at a loss. I've read that mineral deposits in the water can diminish the non stick qualities of porcelain so I was thinking an automatic toilet bowl cleaner that softens the water might help. I think they make ones that combat rust stains/mineral deposits. May help.

No worries :)

Definitely the mineral deposits can cause issues but this was happening right from the start. I'll try the Rain-X and see if it makes a difference. Would be kind of an odd addition to the other cleaning product like lysol, windex, etc.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I know you don't want to replace the toilet, but going to a rehab store and getting one of those older 8 ga/flush models might be the answer...lol

We have Restores in Calgary for that sort of thing and while I don't go there often I've never seen a high flow toilet. I'd love one, hell...16 gallons. Flushing should look like when the flood the subway attraction at Universal Studios.

Have no personal experience with this, but that has never been an impediment on B & B; try the occasional spray of WD-40 and see if that works to mitigate the issue.

Is the waterline lower (and smaller diameter) than in the previous toilet?
Slightly, around 1/2" lower. Thoughts?

Have no personal experience with this, but that has never been an impediment on B & B; try the occasional spray of WD-40 and see if that works to mitigate the issue.
Interesting, might be worth giving it a shot. One issue I can see is that it doesn't dry and I don't really want my bathroom smelling like the garage. I did google "WD40 toilet" and surprisingly (or not) there's a bunch of posts about using it to clean rust stains. And what might be the most obnoxious video I've ever seen, watch at your own risk:

Thanks for not posting pix.
LOL, welcome.

Eat lots of vegetables like asparagus.
But seriously let us know what you try. It would just about have to be some kind of sealer to make it less porous surface.

Last edited:
Eat lots of vegetables like asparagus.
But seriously let us know what you try. It would just about have to be some kind of sealer to make it less porous surface.
I've ordered a can of Sonax Polymer Net Shield thats intended to be used to protect car paint. Its features seem to be what I'm looking for:
  • Protects paintwork by means of a resistant network made from organic and inorganic components (I make those)
  • Hydrophobic properties produce outstanding beading and sheeting effect (I'm trying to eliminate the sheeting effect :D)
  • VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) compliant (its been known to be volatile)
  • Safe on trim and plastic components
  • Eliminates fine scratches and swirls (no more swirling? will it shoot down & out the drain like Augustus Gloop?)
  • Intensively freshens up the color
  • Quick and easy application
  • 1 can should complete an average size car (that should mean a lifetime supply for one average size toilet)
  • Leaves no white residue
  • Protects up to 6 months

Operator error.

Have you tried sitting down, instead of standing on the seat?

:p
I'm confused. Choice #2 is the correct method, no?

IMG_27101.jpg

I've ordered a can of Sonax Polymer Net Shield thats intended to be used to protect car paint. Its features seem to be what I'm looking for:
  • Protects paintwork by means of a resistant network made from organic and inorganic components (I make those)
  • Hydrophobic properties produce outstanding beading and sheeting effect (I'm trying to eliminate the sheeting effect :D)
  • VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) compliant (its been known to be volatile)
  • Safe on trim and plastic components
  • Eliminates fine scratches and swirls (no more swirling? will it shoot down & out the drain like Augustus Gloop?)
  • Intensively freshens up the color
  • Quick and easy application
  • 1 can should complete an average size car (that should mean a lifetime supply for one average size toilet)
  • Leaves no white residue
  • Protects up to 6 months

I'm confused. Choice #2 is the correct method, no?

View attachment 929068
Haha! Thanks for the humor guys .
hope that's the end result you're looking for

Are we talking about the part of the bowel under the water, above the water level. or both?

If above the water level, you could try spraying from time to time with a daily shower cleaner. That should make it slick and self-cleaning. I use a DIY daily shower cleaner with dishwashing detergent and dishwasher clean rinsing aids in it. There are various recipes on-line. I like it for the shower, but at least one of our toilets tends to develop mold on the sides of the bowel between full cleanings. A couple of sprays of this stuff takes care of the problem with no scrubbing and little effort.

Below the water line, I wonder if car wax would not help. Or just rub a piece of clear paraffin wax around on the surfaces in question when they are dry. WD-40 is water soluble, right, so maybe not so good for this application, although otherwise miracle stuff!

Scoot forward on the seat or get a dog:302:

(sorry couldn't help it)

Manufacturer most know of the problem, maybe they have a solution.

In the meantime, perhaps just drape a kleenex over the area prior to "downloading".

Are we talking about the part of the bowel under the water, above the water level. or both?
Happy face is the impact zone
depositphotos_186859978-stock-illustration-realistic-detailed-3d-white-ceramic.jpg

If above the water level, you could try spraying from time to time with a daily shower cleaner. That should make it slick and self-cleaning.
Have tried Scrubbing Bubbles daily shower spray and nope, still stuck like velcro.

Scoot forward on the seat or get a dog:302:

(sorry couldn't help it)

Manufacturer most know of the problem, maybe they have a solution.

In the meantime, perhaps just drape a kleenex over the area prior to "downloading".
Nope, dog won't go near toilets to drink. But I have done the draping and it works, I just always forget and I'm not about to pause a download once I remember.

Top Bottom