What's new

Using Rain-X to improve the slickness of porcelain?

Are we talking about the part of the bowel under the water, above the water level. or both?

If above the water level, you could try spraying from time to time with a daily shower cleaner. That should make it slick and self-cleaning. I use a DIY daily shower cleaner with dishwashing detergent and dishwasher clean rinsing aids in it. There are various recipes on-line. I like it for the shower, but at least one of our toilets tends to develop mold on the sides of the bowel between full cleanings. A couple of sprays of this stuff takes care of the problem with no scrubbing and little effort.

Below the water line, I wonder if car wax would not help. Or just rub a piece of clear paraffin wax around on the surfaces in question when they are dry. WD-40 is water soluble, right, so maybe not so good for this application, although otherwise miracle stuff!

"Are we talking about the part of the bowel under the water..."

There's yer problem!

The best wax to try would be SC Johnson paste wax. It’s made for floors so it’s pretty tough.
Rain x is just silicone oil in alcohol. It would wash off quickly.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The best wax to try would be SC Johnson paste wax.

Thats what came to my mind too, but MinWax Paste Wax.

pastewax.jpg

It does have some colour to it, but by the time you buff it off it leaves very little tint behind. I use it for sealing wood, its very hard and very durable, but it takes time to build 4-5 coats buffed out and let it cure so the down time might be a problem lol.

You dont need a high volume flush to make Al Bundy proud.

If you can find one of these, buy it.

American Standard H2Option 2-piece 0.92/1.28 GPF Dual Flush Round Front Toilet in White, Seat Not Included-2889218.020 - The Home Depot

Under $200. They have a very large water spot and three flush options. Left button is a half flush, right button is a full flush, both buttons together is a 1/4 flush. Because of how its designed, whatever you put in it gets forced down the drain. Its difficult to describe but it flushes from the bottom of the water column in the bowl so all the water above it, including whats in the tank, forces it down with a siphon like action.

I've had one in my bathroom over 3 years now and it hasnt even come close to slowing down never mind plugging up and nothing seems to stick to the bowl either. Having a large water spot helps. My old toilet was a large 4 1/2 gallon single flush and it would plug fairly often.

This AS was recommended to me by a friend of my friend that I sold my Chevelle too. Hes an owner at Paton Brothers Plumbing. I went in with a Toto Aquia toilet in mind that was pushing $1000. He told me not to and to buy the AS instead. I'm glad I did.

I should add, mine is extended height with an elongated bowl.

Last edited:
The best wax to try would be SC Johnson paste wax. It’s made for floors so it’s pretty tough.
Thats what came to my mind too, but MinWax Paste Wax.
View attachment 929168
It does have some colour to it, but by the time you buff it off it leaves very little tint behind. I use it for sealing wood, its very hard and very durable, but it takes time to build 4-5 coats buffed out and let it cure so the down time might be a problem lol.
I can't recall what I have in the basement but I do have some paste wax so might give it a try. Don't like the idea of having to buff inside the bowl tho. Downtime isn't a problem, just use the GFs WC :)

Took a quick look on their .ca site and all the sell in these parts is the round bowl. And given the the current toilet is an American Standard I'm not terribly loyal to the brand. If I do end up replacing it would likely look at a Kohler.

I've seen replacement toilet mechanisms kits in plumbing stores, I wonder if there are some which would allow a higher water level in the bowl?
I know the guts inside the tank can be replaced but the level in the bowl is (as far as I know) a function of the level of water in the trap and fixed.

Cool feedback from everyone! :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Took a quick look on their .ca site and all the sell in these parts is the round bowl. And given the the current toilet is an American Standard I'm not terribly loyal to the brand. If I do end up replacing it would likely look at a Kohler.

You might find one as old stock if you find the right plumbing shop.

I'd suggest a second look before you spend the money on a Kohler. The first time you need to change the seat you'll be wishing you hadnt bought it.

how to remove/replace Kohler toilet seat bolts w/ anchor

A friend just went through that and it was such a PITA he replaced the toilet. Guess which one now sits where the Kohler did.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....longated-bowl-toilet-in-white.1000719868.html

Thinking about the problem you have, I dont think there will be a solution. Solids are sticking because its dry where it falls. The water spot is just too small. If under water its much less likely to stick. Waxing it may help wash it easier, but I'll bet it still sticks. The water spot in mine and the Cadet is basically as wide as the widest point inside the bowl.

When you're shopping for toilets, make the largest water spot your #1 priority. Most all new designs will flush 1000g on a single flush, and thats a lot.

MaP Search | MaP Toilet Testing

You might find one as old stock if you find the right plumbing shop.

I'd suggest a second look before you spend the money on a Kohler. The first time you need to change the seat you'll be wishing you hadnt bought it.

how to remove/replace Kohler toilet seat bolts w/ anchor

A friend just went through that and it was such a PITA he replaced the toilet. Guess which one now sits where the Kohler did.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....longated-bowl-toilet-in-white.1000719868.html

Thinking about the problem you have, I dont think there will be a solution. Solids are sticking because its dry where it falls. The water spot is just too small. If under water its much less likely to stick. Waxing it may help wash it easier, but I'll bet it still sticks. The water spot in mine and the Cadet is basically as wide as the widest point inside the bowl.

When you're shopping for toilets, make the largest water spot your #1 priority. Most all new designs will flush 1000g on a single flush, and thats a lot.

MaP Search | MaP Toilet Testing
Thank you Sir, awesome info!

I've had very good luck with Kohler products, including the other toilets in the house, and I believe the issue with the seat is only for some one piece models (the two pieces I have take standard seats/bolts, etc.).

The MaP rating is interesting, although the model I'm having an issue with does come in with a score of >=1000 so not sure what to make of it (clogging has never been an issue). I'll have to start looking at the water levels in different toilets and see if mine is relatively low.

Flush once right before you sit down.
Interesting and will try it.

Flush once right before you sit down.
That's actually a good simple things to try I like it. Maybe a good brush standing by at the ready and a quick dose of some kind of cleaner or a spray . Maybe to get you through until you check out other toilet bowls

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The MaP rating is interesting, although the model I'm having an issue with does come in with a score of >=1000 so not sure what to make of it (clogging has never been an issue). I'll have to start looking at the water levels in different toilets and see if mine is relatively low.

Yeah. The MAP ratings are more selling points than useful info. A single flush of 1000g is typical these days.

I should also mention that the big box stores will sometimes stock 'seconds'. Those 'seconds' usually have visual flaws, but I've seen other toilets with casting issues inside that have hampered the flushing action.

If you want to do some research, below is a very good forum for everything house related. The vast majority of information is from licensed contractors, plumbers, electricians and so on. This is just the first thread I found on a quick look.

Best Toilet on the Market

Plumbing forum: Plumbing - Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Maybe we're going about this anti-skidmark quest the wrong way ... perhaps ingesting a slippery vitamin-type supplement?

"Vitamin PTFE."

AA

Maybe a good brush standing by at the ready and a quick dose of some kind of cleaner or a spray.
My Oxo brush (with replaceable head....never thought I'd wear out a toilet brush but I'm on the third one) is always standing by and I go through Lysol toilet cleaner like a small hotel.

Maybe we're going about this anti-skidmark quest the wrong way ... perhaps ingesting a slippery vitamin-type supplement?

"Vitamin PTFE."

AA
If you're suggesting cod liver oil, no.

I've got an old toilet. A pre-water saver, so no problem. I still wouldn't mind having one of these.

Al's awesome! :)

Thanks for reminding me to apply a fresh coat of Rain-X to my windshield. :001_smile

I would simply change seating position to target an underwater spot in the bowl. Beyond that a couple of additional extreme ideas would be painting that area with a high-gloss/eggshell paint...though I would be surprised that the existing glaze is not smoother (perhaps the toilet bowl was cleaned with a harsh chemical before which effected its finish??) or get a big phone screen protector....one of those with a good Oleophobic coating and stick it over the trouble spot. :001_302: But would it survive flushing and cleaning.

Top Bottom