What's new

Using other products as aftershave....... is it just me?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like bay rum and for a while now my favourite bay rum aftershave has been Pashana American Bay Rum Hair Tonic - it smells great and burns like hell, which I love. I recently acquired a 1967 Sabre set including brilliantine, which is a product I have never used. As my hair is in rapid decline I decided to try the brilliantine while I still had the chance and so today, after my shave, I put a couple of drops of brilliantine into my palms intending to rub it into what little hair I have left. To my surprise, the brilliantine is an oily liquid with a light consistency and a beautiful lavender aroma. I decided to apply the brilliantine to my freshly shaved face as a post shave balm; it was superb and my skin looks and feels great. I intend to continue to use the brilliantine as a post shave balm and to try some other brilliantine products for the same alternate purpose. I am well aware that these products may, or may not, lack some of the skin conditioning ingredients that might be found in regular aftershave or aftershave balm but I that is of no concern to me, the point is that I enjoy using them in they way that I am. Do any other members use shaving or grooming products for a totally different purpose to that for which they are intended? Can you recommend any?

sabre.jpg

I’m one of the users of Lavender Waters as aftershaves. Both Ach Brito and Trumper’s leave my face feeling soft, clean and wonderfully scented, with no alcohol burn.

Trumper’s Limes cologne is also great as an aftershave. I added a menthol crystal to the bottle and it’s refreshingly good to use it post shave.

In winter I tend to use Tiroler steinol products. Most liked is the fresh feetbalm

Another good one is horsebalm massage balm

And as a pre shave/shave I have used nuru gel which works ok.

Attachments

• 65A1D520-B706-47EF-9181-9F801C529BF3.jpeg
    65A1D520-B706-47EF-9181-9F801C529BF3.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 55986E42-6F6B-4399-83B1-73770E385880.jpeg
    55986E42-6F6B-4399-83B1-73770E385880.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 7917D0AE-6098-4114-BF4A-CE014949860A.jpeg
    7917D0AE-6098-4114-BF4A-CE014949860A.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2139C006-BEF3-4609-9F21-92C14B5D1336.jpeg
    2139C006-BEF3-4609-9F21-92C14B5D1336.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Whenever I don't have any AS, I use any of the following. The least common denominator is the skin healing effect:
  • Pharmacy skin lotion for wounds or burns. Contains dexpanthenol, usually sold in aluminum tubes
  • Aloe vera gel. Usually used for skin moisturizing, e.g. after sun burns
  • Any drug store "universal" cream such as Nivea. Helps the skin with its high concentration of fats, such as lanolin, but oils also help. In some cases (such as Nivea), mineral (paraffinum liquidum) and in other cases (mostly natural cosmetics manufacturers), plant-based (e.g. olive oil)
Just bear in mind that these products don't get absorbed as well as good old aftershave balm. Meaning if I want to go out, I need to wipe my face once, otherwise I will look like a freshly waxed apple.

Whenever I don't have any AS, I use any of the following. The least common denominator is the skin healing effect:
  • Pharmacy skin lotion for wounds or burns. Contains dexpanthenol, usually sold in aluminum tubes
  • Aloe vera gel. Usually used for skin moisturizing, e.g. after sun burns
  • Any drug store "universal" cream such as Nivea. Helps the skin with its high concentration of fats, such as lanolin, but oils also help. In some cases (such as Nivea), mineral (paraffinum liquidum) and in other cases (mostly natural cosmetics manufacturers), plant-based (e.g. olive oil)
Just bear in mind that these products don't get absorbed as well as good old aftershave balm. Meaning if I want to go out, I need to wipe my face once, otherwise I will look like a freshly waxed apple.
I have used Aloe Vera gel a few times, but now I use Prep Cream when required.

I’ve been using Endoca Hemp Whipped Body Butter lately. It’s mostly shea butter, organic palm oil, cocoa seed butter and CBD. Smells like elegant chocolate, and works as well as my best aftershave balms. Love the stuff.

Alternative products often work, and some work fairly well (such as virgin olive oil, follow by a few drops of cologne), but in the big picture dedicated professional products usually work best for most persons.

I like all of the Pinaud hair tonic as aftershave. None of them have oil. I also use a Turkish lemon cologne as a splash regularly. Florida Water is a summertime favorite. Alcohol and water with scent. Moisturizer or other additions are optional. The more alcohol, the more burn…

Top Bottom