What's new

Using my Kampfe-Star LC as a historical source

I have a presentation on material history next week in a graduate history course. The presentation is to show an object to the class (or a picture of an object) and describe what it can tell us about history.

I think the Kampfe-Star lather catcher will be excellent for this purpose.It was first patented in 1880 during the height of the Industrial Revolution in America. It shows a necessity for a quicker, easier shave at a time when men needed to rush off to the factory to work long shifts. Its artistic design is representative of its creation at a time when artisans weren't yet completely replaced by mass produced interchangeable parts.

How's it sound? Maybe I can bring in a Super Speed to show how safety razors evolved by the 1950's. I'd consider bringing in a straight too just to show what men used before the invention of safety razors, but that might not go over so well with the public safety department. :lol:

At the very least, I finally have an excuse for collecting this stuff. :lol:

Here's a picture, for anyone curious.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Great idea. I have one of these too but I don't know much about it. It would be interesting to know how much it cost at the time of production versus either buying a straight or going to a barber for a shave. I suppose it also represents an intermediate product between straights and modern safety razors as it used wedge blades that were not disposable and required honing and stropping.

Good luck.

Great idea. I have one of these too but I don't know much about it. It would be interesting to know how much it cost at the time of production versus either buying a straight or going to a barber for a shave. I suppose it also represents an intermediate product between straights and modern safety razors as it used wedge blades that were not disposable and required honing and stropping.

Good luck.

Thanks! I was wondering about the price as well. Ostensibly, the average working class man wouldn't have been able to just buy one of these on a whim. However, the fact that they still exist and were produced at a number that they're still (relatively) findable in antique stores and on eBay, etc. would lead me to believe that people were still buying them, at some level of income.

It would be interesting to know how popular they were during their day. I recently read a biography of King Gillette and the Gillette Co. The author made a point that the Gillette safety razors were not really very inexpensive relative to incomes during their early years. It was the superior (safer) shave they gave along with lower maintenance that caused men to buy them; even if they were relatively expensive. I've not tried using mine (I haven't had the wedges honed and I'm a safety razor man generally) but I can't believe the Kampfe product was really much superior to a straight, at least for shave quality.

It would be interesting to know how popular they were during their day. I recently read a biography of King Gillette and the Gillette Co. The author made a point that the Gillette safety razors were not really very inexpensive relative to incomes during their early years. It was the superior (safer) shave they gave along with lower maintenance that caused men to buy them; even if they were relatively expensive. I've not tried using mine (I haven't had the wedges honed and I'm a safety razor man generally) but I can't believe the Kampfe product was really much superior to a straight, at least for shave quality.

The earliest Gillettes were extraordinarily priced at $5.00 for a razor when they were first released. According to this inflation calculator, $5.00 in 1913 (as early as it goes) was the equivalent of $110.32. http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

From what I've read here, the Gillette razors didn't catch on until after World War I, when they were issued to American soldiers.

Wow! That would cure my RAD. I'm guessing that's a good chunk of an average worker's weekly wage in 1913.

Top Bottom