What's new

Using Multiple Plain Leathers After Honing

I’ve been thinking about the qualities of different types of leather and what the implications are as far as the final outcome. Additionally I’ve also been contemplating using two or three plain different leather strops after honing in a sequence and if anyone else is doing this and with the reasoning is.

Thanks

I would be interested to hear responses but i have read from many here (and experienced myself) that, within reason, the different leathers don’t have a noticeable impact on the shave quality, just the stropping feedback and feel.
I have strops that are restored vintage and thicker shell leather, I like to use these when honing and often strop when testing and playing with stones. I often strop after low grits like 4k. I also use after honing a few blades at a time before putting away for later use. Sometimes this is just on linen. Prior to shaving I most often use one of my more luxurious feeling leathers, this for me is a thinner cordovan shell leather - smooth and silky.

if you’re willing - try a progression and share your feedback. If technique is solid, I don’t see any harm and maybe just the extra laps will allow for a feeling of improvement.

I have an Illinois 361, a veg tanned cow hide that I made, and a good horse hide strop but I haven’t tried using them in a sequence. I agree that it’s very unlikely that I would get a different end result as far as the shave but maybe the strop I made could be the “sacrificial strop” that takes the brunt of the filth as the razor sheds that first bit of steel leaving one or both of the others to do the rest without getting them as dirty….🤔

Last edited:
the strop I made could be the “sacrificial strop” that takes the brunt of the filth as tha razor sheds that first bit of steel

This is my approach. I have a strop in the garage that I use between stones (linen), and after finishing (leather), and a strop in the bathroom that I use before and after shaving. My reasoning is that the garage strop cleans up the edge, and the bathroom strop is for maintaining it. So I guess that is a form of progression... :p

indeed, i use a series of strops.
illinois hide, solingen suede, then a couple of tony millers.
i admit, maybe overkill.
just enjoy the results however.
tony miller strops.jpg

⚠️ Warning⚠️
What follows is PURELY personal opinion.

I have three hanging strops, Tony Miller Steerdovan and two vintage shell, plus a block strop. The block strop is only used in the final stages of honing.

I've stropped most of my razors on everything and have seen no marked benefit from stropping razor X on strop Y.

However, I find that I enjoy the process more using certain strops with certain razors. I love the feel of my full hollows on the TM and enjoy the heavier grinds on the vintage shell.

Until I don't, and then I switch it up to again find my stropping nirvana.

Yes, different strops, can produce different finishes on a razor bevel and edge. The most dramatic difference is with linen strops. Clean linen can leave its own fine stria, while clean leather can polish and straighten the edge more.

I use a well washed and rolled, vintage flax firehose strop between stones while honing to polish and remove burrs. Finish on a clean vintage thick but super flexible Russian leather strop.

Once honed, I strop on a Tony Miller Flax strop or clean vintage Kanayama Flax strop and finish on a clean vintage Kanayama Shell to polish prior to shave.

Different leathers and strops will finish differently, depending on how they have been maintained. But for most, a progression of leather strops will not dramatically affect the finish or shave quality. Stropping ability and strop cleanliness and hydration play huge factors.

Stropping is way, way under rated…

Torolf @ Scrupleworks knows leather and stropping inside out. He told me that it doesn't mean a whit what type of leather one uses. I believe him... and in my experience, I've never seen a difference in the final outcome...
The feel (draw) we prefer, however, is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

I usually strop on cotton and a Tony Miller practice/basic stop after honing, just to clean and dry the edge after my final rinse under running water.

I have many strops, new and vintage, with different leathers and fabrics. I have to admit, I fall into the camp that can't really tell any edge difference among leathers. I do enjoy the varied stropping sensations and the concomitant variations in technique.

Over time I have reduced both the pressure as I strop and the number of laps. So I have become a fabric > leather minimalist. I am often perfectly satisfied with about a half dozen laps on fabric and perhaps a dozen and a half on leather.

My issue with a leather progression is simply that I don't do enough laps to start splitting them among 2 or 3 leathers.

I have multiple strops. My typical stropping procedure uses 2 fabric components and 3 leather components. I will start with canvas, then flax linen, then latigo, then horse shell, the finish with Chrome-excel horsehide or fast bridle leather. I have no idea whether the use of multiple strops actually improves the edge of my razors, but using multiple strops is quite satisfying.

What does improve the edge of the razor is using pasted strops with ultra-fine abrasives such as 0.5, 0.25 and 0.1 micron CBN or microcrystaline diamond pastes or sprays. I like my edges to be both super sharp and super smooth. The ultra-fine abrasives are the only way I can achieve both.

Top Bottom