What's new

Using glycerin in between passes

So, I've been keeping up with the information Dr. Moss has been collecting on using a small amount of glycerin applied to a WET face in between passes. It seems like a very promising way to limit irritation and moisturize the face. So I picked up a bottle of 100% pure vegetable glycerin from Whole Foods.

With this in mind, what do you guys think the best method for applying glycerin is? Spary it on with an atomizer in between passes or simply rub it in with my fingers?

Same here: 2-3 drops rubbed into the wet beard (after the rinse, before the lather). I think rubbing it in would work better than spraying it, in any event: forces it in among the whiskers.

Just for giggles, I tried coral skin food in between passes today. Had a great, irritation-free shave, but then again, I do without the CSF as well. I am not sure this does anything at all despite the hoopla, but I am going to play around a bit more.

Well, if the face is wet enough, the glycerin should act to hold moisture against your face and beard by drawing moisture from the humid air. My theory is that the glycerin helps to keep hairs saturated and softer, so they're easier to cut.

I'd be interested in seeing if someone with a pretty rough beard gets a better shave after the addition of the glycerin. I'm also starting to think that the glycerin could be helpful if you don't have time to get the hairs really hot and wet with a shower or hot towel treatment.

Scotto said:
Just for giggles, I tried coral skin food in between passes today. Had a great, irritation-free shave, but then again, I do without the CSF as well. I am not sure this does anything at all despite the hoopla, but I am going to play around a bit more.

Ditto. I tried with Skin Food and pure glycerin. Didn't notice a difference.

I think I might get cute and use it on half my face. Hopefully the hair on that side doesn't grow more, like that other bizaare thread....

Scotto said:
I think I might get cute and use it on half my face. Hopefully the hair on that side doesn't grow more, like that other bizaare thread....
I, at Trumper's suggestion, have tried using skin food as a preshave application. Felt nice, smelled nice, no functional difference noted, but then again what should I note?:001_unsur

guenron said:
I, at Trumper's suggestion, have tried using skin food as a preshave application. Felt nice, smelled nice, no functional difference noted, but then again what should I note?:001_unsur

That you would use your SF at twice the rate as if you only used it post-shave:biggrin:

Well, I just tried it this morning. I guess that I noticed a mild difference?

Perhaps I'm not using the right amount. What would be considered too little or too much? The glycerin was very watery and easy to apply, but I had to wonder just how much was covering certain parts of my face...

Watery sounds odd. Are you using a glycerine solution? My first bottle was, when I read the small print, 10% glycerine. I applied that like an aftershave: a little pool in the palm of the hand, rubbed quickly over the wet beard. The 100% glycerine is thicker, more like Karo syrup. I use 2-3 drops of that.

So far as noting the difference, I think for very expert shavers there may be no or little difference. I'm not that expert, and I do note a difference. So: YMMV. But it's worth a try if you haven't tried it. Your mileage might be the same as mine.

I haven't tried it with glycerin yet, as I haven't had a chance to go get any... But I do use CSF rubbed in before each pass. (i.e. rub in SF, apply lather on top, shave, repeat for next pass...) I honestly couldn't tell you if it helps keep my whiskers softer, etc.. But it does seem to help the razor glide a lot easier... ESPECIALLY for the ATG passes... It also seems to help keep irritation down. If I shave one day (i've done this) with the CSF, then shave again (keeping everything else exactly the same), without using the CSF between passes, my face will end up with a little more irritation and my neck typically gets more burn, weepers, etc...

I find glycerin the most beneficial to my shave on the third and fourth pass around the neck. This is the point where I have to go against the grain to get a perfectly smooth shave.

I use a very small pool of it in the palm of my hand and work it into the stubble.

I also found that on the third and fourth pass using a brush to apply cream seems to provide too much of a buffer at this point. So I scoop the cream out of the bowl with my hand and work it in with the fingers.

Enjoy, Chris

Top Bottom