What's new

Using Cologne

Do you shave with a modestly scented soap and then use a non matching aftershave? Today I used a vetiver vanilla soap (modest scent) skipped the aftershave, used Cerave moisturizing cream and used terre d'hermes

All these soap makers are using "type recreations" but the real deal lasts for years because I don't spray down like a gigolo.

And, I love a few soap makers and their own scent creations are what I look for.

Thinking of trying a bunch of Royall aftershaves.

Let me know your methods

I use whatever soap strikes my mood, but I don't use strongly-scented or cologne-scented soaps as I tend not to care for them. Palmolive, Valobra stick, Speick, Proraso...

I use the same aftershave most of the time, which is a very neutral and fleeting scent (C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic).

Then whatever EDT I am wearing.

Some exceptions: I use Proraso Red aftershave when I'm going to wear AOS Sandalwood cologne (the older version, not the new stuff). I use a bay rum splash occasionally as aftershave and cologne. I wear Proraso Green aftershave as my scent when I need to go lightly-fragranced. I like Speick splash after Speick soap, and it's light enough I can usually use an EDT afterward.

I have a fairly equal number of strong AS and weaker AS. I do wear a frag most days though, so at the least I don’t use a clashing scent.

Royall has some really great scents! Hope you find ones you enjoy!

I routinely use a splash but only an occasional EdC. When I chose both, I go for a mildly scented, short-lasting soap and splash. For example, MWF soap, Lucky Tiger, then vintage OS EdC!! :a29:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I just got some Proraso lime edt the label says it’s soothing to the skin so I’m going to try it as an aftershave and edt.

What pairs well with good ole Clubman original?? Seems like when i use that, i wouldn't dare know what to use with it for fear of creating a clash and ending up STINKY instead of smelling good ??? Am I CRAZY??? IDEAS ??

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I enjoy interesting and strongly scented soaps, for as they are so fleeting, they are for my pleasure only. And since they don't last very long, they cannot clash with whatever frag I choose for the day.

Also, I don't use ASLs any longer. Unscented CeraVe moisturizer now takes care of my post shave needs.

Stepping out of the shower, I do sometimes spray down with 4711--again, a fleeting scent that's for my enjoyment only. Sets me in a good frame of mind for the day, and is gone by the time I'm dressed.

What pairs well with good ole Clubman original?? Seems like when i use that, i wouldn't dare know what to use with it for fear of creating a clash and ending up STINKY instead of smelling good ??? Am I CRAZY??? IDEAS ??
I haven't tried Calvin Klein Eternity in 20 years, but IIRC it's a fougere. I imagine it might pair well with a light splash of Pinaud Clubman.

I tried out the combo of TOBS Almond cream, a healthy splash of Stirling Black Cherry, and several sprays of Sillage by Armaf.

I really enjoyed the combo. The Black Cherry complimented the fragrance well, and provided a little more depth.

PS Fine by Paul Sebastian and Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur are the closest matches in my collection.

Top Bottom