What's new

Using Cape Cod Polish (or similar metal polish) on Damascus Blade

Hi everyone, I've got a Thiers-Issard Damascus that looks really dark, and the pattern isn't really shining out.
So my question is, can using a metal polish help it, or can I damage the blade? Thanks for your help. Here is a picture of my razor, but it is oiled up, so it looks better than it actually is!
IMG_6414.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Metal polish shouldn't damage a blade, but I doubt it would make the pattern stand out any more.

What knife makers do to define a Damascus pattern is etch the blade with acid. I wouldn't do that to a razor, though. At the very least you would have to hone it again from scratch.

Thank you! I should avoid it so. However this blade is real Damascus, not just etched with acid, but it shouldn't make a difference in polishing I guess.

Legion

Staff member
Thank you! I should avoid it so. However this blade is real Damascus, not just etched with acid, but it shouldn't make a difference in polishing I guess.
putting real damascus in acid shows the different layers, as some steels will darken more or less than others. Polishing it will just make the whole razor more shiny. The dark patina on your razor compared to the bevel indicates that is has already been done, and isn't likely to get much more contrast.

Legion

Staff member
…. So…

I’m not sure if there is a language barrier here.

I would suggest your razor looks how it looks, so use and enjoy it, and you should get years of good shaves.

A little w/d 40 and #0000 steel wool will keep it looking great and protect it some from rust.
You can use just a small piece of steel wool after putting some W/D on the blade and just polish back and forth avoiding the edge.

A little w/d 40 and #0000 steel wool will keep it looking great and protect it some from rust.
You can use just a small piece of steel wool after putting some W/D on the blade and just polish back and forth avoiding the edge.
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

…. So…

I’m not sure if there is a language barrier here.

I would suggest your razor looks how it looks, so use and enjoy it, and you should get years of good shaves.
Sorry for the misplaced ''so'' :) I'm Italian and even if I grew up in England I'm still prone to errors!

Certain stones, particularly some jnats, are very good for highlighting banding and layers in steel. If you have any Japanese stones that are not razor finishers (which are going to be too hard really) - raise a bit of mud with an atoma or whatever, get a bit of cloth around your finger, dab it in, and try polishing like that. Should work nicely. You could do it with synths too.

A further trick if you are doing something along those lines: Some (most?) jnats are mildly acidic, so if you leave the mud on the blade to dry for about 10 mins afterwards, you can get a very mild etching effect to help further. You could also wipe the bevel when you do, so that’s not getting affected by it.

I’m kinda with David above though - I think it looks pretty kickass atm! :)

I like Damascus steel, but I don't want a razor made from it, exactly for the reasons you are showing.

I have a Damascus knife and the issues with the pattern is that if you don't maintain it, it will disappear. To understand why, you have to understand the whole process.

We all know it is forged from two, or more different steels, in theory combining the strengths of both.

After forging, grinding and polishing the razor, it will have no pattern that the naked eye will be able to see, because polished steel looks like polished steel, doesn't matter if its high carbon, chromium or nickel content steel.

In order to bring out the pattern, the razor then gets dipped in acid, also called acid etching. This is where the different steels discolour in different ways. Steel with chromium or nickel will not react the same way as a high carbon content steel.

Now comes the tricky bit. You now have to polish it just enough to highlight the shiny steel, without removing all the etching from the darker steel.

What's the problem? Problem is that when you use it enough, the etching either wears off and it becomes just a dull shiny piece, or if you don't protect it against corrosion, everything eventually goes black. It looks like yours is in the second category.

The only way to take it back to what it looked like when you got it, is to re-do the etching and polishing like it was done by the maker.

BTW, nice razor! I will just enjoy it the way it is, if it was mine.

Just to make it clear the blade is dipped in acid to give it the pattern, Once that is done you don't polish it because you remove the pattern then you have to redip it t get it back. don't use polish or steel wool as they will remove the pattern.

I have one and I made custom scales for it and where the blade touches the scales is rubbing the pattern away so mine is getting ready to be dipped again.

image 1.jpg
image 2.jpg

Top Bottom