What's new

Using BOTH sides of the DE Razor?

If you find it too hard to keep track of the spins, you can always use one side of the blade for one half of your face and the other side the other half. :wink2:

Blades are rather cheap, so I don't focus on maintaining equality on both sides of the razor. Basically the shave, spin, shave, rinse method described many times before works well, and replace the blade when you can't figure out if its still sharp one one side or the other.

Exactly. Why make this any more complicated than necessary keeping track of sides and spins and whatever? The whole point of a DE versus SE is that you can shave twice as much before needing to rinse your razor.

I've said it before and I will say it again, people tend to portray this whole DE shaving thing as a science or art that requires a great amount of skill, patience, balls, etc, and it's no more than plain ol' grooming.

Simple solution to your dilemma: Shave with one edge until you need a clean one then flip it. No need to mark the razor or keep track what side to use first.

When either side gets messed up throw it away and change the blade (the WHOLE blade, you don't have to worry about changing only half)

At like 20 cents per blade, this shouldn't be a huge concern.

If that doesn't work than NASA might have some ideas

R

rodeo

I think some of you guys are missing the point. This isn't an economics issue for me. It isn't a matter of cost.

As a "new" shaver I wasn't flipping the razor over at all. That just didn't occur to me. When my razor loaded up, I simply rinsed it off. (too used to the throw away habits I guess.) Now I get it though and yes, it is rather simple and elementery. I think my question has been answered and no need to disect it and involve NASA.

Thanks everyone!! You too Alfredo!:wink2:

Honestly I don't bother trying to use both sides evenly. When I am shaving I just use one side until it has significant lather build up, switch sides and continue shaving; Rinse and repeat. As to know when a blade is dull, I just change when it stops giving satisfactory shaves.

+1 :001_smile

I don't like constantly turning the razor in order to use both sides equally. So what I do is flip it once half way through the pass. Each side gets about half of the shave that way without too much effort being put into it.

Same here. I shave the left half of my face with one side of the blade, and the other half with the other side. Just one flip per pass, but both edges of the blade get used equally.

This post is much more interesting to read than I had imagined! Once one side is loaded with hair and lather, I rinse then spin and repeat.

Hmm, I just shave the left side of my face with one edge, and the right side of my face with the other edge. I rinse it a couple of times partway through each side of my face, but only flip it when I move to the other side of my face.

I guess I'd say, do whatever works for you! No need to over-think it...

I flip sides after each stroke and that half is covered in lather. It works out to 50/50 or so.

+1

I'm actually surprised not to see more of this method. I've done it that way since the beginning as it seems natural.

Stroke--Flip--Stroke--Rinse--Repeat.

Shaving with a clean blade is preferable in my experience.

I as a rule, I switch blades every seven-ten shaves. I preserve the blade by drying it after each shave--this allows it to retain an edge for longer.

If you look at the math, assuming a ten-pack that costs less than $1.70, even if I shave every day, I spend no more than $13.60 per year on blades. (this may change if I ever feel the need to try out the more expensive varieties).

For reference, a 10-pack of sensor excel cartridges can cost around $14-$20 depending on where you get it. 10 mach-3 cartridges will set you back about twice as much.

Bottom line, even if you're miserly with your DE blades like I am, you still get 52 fresh blades per year vs. 10, and you pay less for them (a lot less in the case of Mach-3).

It's really not very hard to spin it 180 degrees in your fingers. I think any other system of trying to figure out which side you used last would just be overly complicated and hard to remember.

1.Shave till full of lather
2.Spin
3.Shave till full of lather
4.Rinse
5.Repeat as necessary.

Yup this is what I do and it's easy peasy!
It's funny how sometimes the simplest answers don't come to us.

Yep. All that. I never bother trying to figure out if I'm using both sides equally.

OK, Here's a "Noob" question I've been wondering about and meaning to ask.

So, you have a DE Razor
That razor has two sides and two cutting edges

How do you diligently use both sides equally? If you can get say 5 shaves from one side, then theoretically you can get 5 shaves from the other for a total of 10 shaves on that blade.

But, the DE razor is not marked in any way that I can tell so you know side A from side B when you pick it up in your hand. Right now having used the same blade all week thus far, I have no way of knowing if I shaved twice on one side and 5 times on the other or 7 times all on the same exact side.

Is there a way to control this? Should I bother? Or do most shavers just use it till they feel it's time to change blades?

Am I missing something?? Seems like a fair question to me.. Thanks! :001_smile

I just flip mine around from time to time, usually when I'm rinsing. I change the blade when it starts tugging at my beard--at 20-30 cents a blade, there's no reason to soldier through an uncomfortable shave.

If you look at the math, assuming a ten-pack that costs less than $1.70, even if I shave every day, I spend no more than $13.60 per year on blades. (this may change if I ever feel the need to try out the more expensive varieties).

Even if you're spending fifty cents a blade, and even if each blade only gets three shaves, you're still only using a little more than two blades a week, assuming you shave once a day. A blade every three days comes out to about 122 blades a year, rounding up, and, assuming you're buying blades at $50/100, that's $61, or about $5 a month. That's not unreasonable.

However, most blades won't cost that much. The most expensive blades people commonly use around here would either be Feathers (on which there's a deal for $28/100) or Iridiums (which are commonly $34/100 -- there's a cheaper offer out there, but it's from a banned vendor). So if 34 cents is the worst you're likely to do, you're coming out to $3.45 a month--even more reasonable. If you can stretch its life out to six shaves, you can reduce that to $1.73/mo -- that's practically trivial.

Even expensive blades like Feathers and Iridiums can be cheap over the long run--you just have to buy in bulk and scan the forums for good deals.

Top Bottom