What's new

Using a two part Epoxy on a chrome handle (epic failure)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I Have a Chrome Fatip bursh I need helping set a knot with. It had a Pure Badger knot which I took out to replace with a Plissoft Synthetic knot. I used a two part epoxy. It worked for awhile then worked its way loose. The Epoxy wouldn't adhere to the chrome. Maybe I didn't let the hardener set long enough when I mixed the glue? I just mixed them together applied and set. If it's not that, would scoring the chrome where the knot sits work?

Thanks
Rave

If the metal is smooth, the epoxy won’t stick as well as if it’s a little rough. You might try hitting the area where the epoxy will be with some sand paper. You don’t want to take off any more metal than necessary, and be careful not to scratch the visible area of the handle.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If the metal is smooth, the epoxy won’t stick as well as if it’s a little rough. You might try hitting the area where the epoxy will be with some sand paper. You don’t want to take off any more metal than necessary, and be careful not to scratch the visible area of the handle.
Thanks, that sounds reasonable.

Rough up the knot cup with sand paper is definitely the way to go. I have to do this with the resin handles for the same reason so the knots don't come out.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Was it marine epoxy? We had some steak knifes (Radu) wherein the blade came loose, I epoxied them, only to have them come loose again. I noticed the epoxy seemed gummy.

Then I got to thinking about it. I didn't use marine epoxy. We don't own a dishwasher so the knives would soak for extended periods. The water did away with the epoxy.

Bought some marine grade two part, no more issues.

I think though for setting a knot, I'd use silicone. Much easier to get the knot out again if you ever want to put it in a different handle.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Was it marine epoxy? We had some steak knifes (Radu) wherein the blade came loose, I epoxied them, only to have them come loose again. I noticed the epoxy seemed gummy.

Then I got to thinking about it. I didn't use marine epoxy. We don't own a dishwasher so the knives would soak for extended periods. The water did away with the epoxy.

Bought some marine grade two part, no more issues.

I think though for setting a knot, I'd use silicone. Much easier to get the knot out again if you ever want to put it in a different handle.
This is what I used:
1_7.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
That purports to be waterproof. I'm thinking then as others suggested you just had a failure to bond properly to the chrome. Especially if the epoxy was still hard and not soft or gummy in any way.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
That purports to be waterproof. I'm thinking then as others suggested you just had a failure to bond properly to the chrome. Especially if the epoxy was still hard and not soft or gummy in any way.
It worked great for about three weeks then I noticed it was loose. It's synthetic so I never wet more than the tips except when rinsing clean with lukewarm water. When the knot came out there was zero glue left in the handle. It came out clean and the epoxy was formed to the shape of the knot perfectly, so the epoxy never truly bonded to the handle surface

Top Bottom