What's new

Using a synthetic shave brush instead of a wash cloth for lathering while showering!

Have you tried a synthetic shave brush for cleaning body while showering

• Have you tried a synthetic shave brush for cleaning body while showering -YES

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Have you tried a shnthetic shave brush for cleaning body while showering-NO

Votes: 43 91.5%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was experimenting about 6 months ago to try showering just using a 24 & 30mm synthetic shave brush and thought it would work better than a wash cloth possibly!?
So I tried it because a shave brush will kick up such a great lather while shaving and fellows shave in the shower so why not try it out. After a few showers I concluded a few things that to make it work better that I shampoo my hair first and wash out soap because this warms the shower area and gets your body wet for lathering.
Then shut the valves off and then gently open the warm and cold water to get a trickle or small stream of water and start lathering myself.
I still use a back scrub brush for decades to get at my back which is hard even with a wash cloth to reach, the synthetic shave shave brush is superior to lathering the body as long as the water is not raining down on a person while applying the soap, it feels gentle and with 20,000+ hairs whisking body grim & sweat away + works superior to a wash cloth IMO. After lathering all I do is turn on the shower and rinse soap off well and feel just clean.
While shower is back at full strength spray I clean the brush up against the shower nozzle turn off the water give the brush a few slaps against my left hand to drive out the water and attach to rope with a thick elastic band to hold it. Then just give the brush a few swipes with a towel and good to go until next shower session. No mildew problems no extra laundry and gets the body cleaner possibly IMO.
A synthetic shave brush will dry in about 2-4 hours if towel dried where a face cloth takes many more hrs to dry properly inviting mildew possibly!

Shower brush 30 mm Yaqi synthetic.jpg

Have some great showers!:idea::biggrin1:

Last edited:

Ron R

Have you ever tried a Salux Japanese washcloth? They’re pretty amazing. Long enough that you can grab with both hands and wash your back. They dry really quickly. Very affordable and they last a long time.
No I have not tried those washcloths, I will look at them.
How are they for drying time?

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m pretending I’ve outgrown oversized brushes (not because my skills improved, but because shorter lofts work better for me and most humungo knots have tall lofts…), so I might traumatize my poor RazoRock F-400 XXL soon.

Thank you for another over-the-top idea, @Ron R !

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I was experimenting about 6 months ago to try showering just using a 24 & 30mm synthetic shave brush and thought it would work better than a wash cloth possibly!?
So I tried it because a shave brush will kick up such a great lather while shaving and fellows shave in the shower so why not try it out. After a few showers I concluded a few things that to make it work better that I shampoo my hair first and wash out soap because this warms the shower area and gets your body wet for lathering.
Then shut the valves off and then gently open the warm and cold water to get a trickle or small stream of water and start lathering myself.
I still use a back scrub brush for decades to get at my back which is hard even with a wash cloth to reach, the synthetic shave shave brush is superior to lathering the body as long as the water is not raining down on a person while applying the soap, it feels gentle and with 20,000+ hairs whisking body grim & sweat away + works superior to a wash cloth IMO. After lathering all I do is turn on the shower and rinse soap off well and feel just clean.
While shower is back at full strength spray I clean the brush up against the shower nozzle turn off the water give the brush a few slaps against my left hand to drive out the water and attach to rope with a thick elastic band to hold it. Then just give the brush a few swipes with a towel and good to go until next shower session. No mildew problems no extra laundry and gets the body cleaner possibly IMO.
A synthetic shave brush will dry in about 2-4 hours if towel dried where a face cloth takes many more hrs to dry properly inviting mildew possibly!

View attachment 1479154
Have some great showers!:idea::biggrin1:

First, love the shower curtain, that gets 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 in my book! 😁

Second, no, I've never used a shave brush to lather soap, for washing my body. It appears to me, considering the human body is so huge, I'd think that a 200mm knot brush would be superior to covering all that distance. I would never try that with something as small as a shave brush.

Third, summer must have you feeling a bit bored if your trying this. But I sure do love seeing new posts from you Ron, I'm always a fan when your flapping your wings, and soaring through with an interesting post. :thumbup1:

Ron R

First, love the shower curtain, that gets 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 in my book! 😁

Second, no, I've never used a shave brush to lather soap, for washing my body. It appears to me, considering the human body is so huge, I'd think that a 200mm knot brush would be superior to covering all that distance. I would never try that with something as small as a shave brush.

Third, summer must have you feeling a bit bored if your trying this. But I sure do love seeing new posts from you Ron, I'm always a fan when your flapping your wings, and soaring through with an interesting post. :thumbup1:
You would be surprized how a 24mm or 30mm synthetic in body area it quickly cleans , it works better than a face wash cloth IMO.
You might want to know it also cuts down on soap waste & water waste IMO, you do not need a lot to make good cleaning lather where as a wash cloth you have to use a lot of soap to even see a lather. I tried body lotion soap even and that stuff washes out of my hand quicker than you can apply it, It is not for everyone that liquid soap in a shower while water running (maybe with a brush it would work better with water off). Bar of soap works the best for myself any day with a brush. Anyways food for thought, I will stick with this for now until something better comes along which I doubt!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You would be surprized how a 24mm or 30mm synthetic in body area it quickly cleans , it works better than a face wash cloth IMO.
You might want to know it also cuts down on soap waste & water waste IMO, you do not need a lot to make good cleaning lather where as a wash cloth you have to soap it a lot to even see a lather. I tried body lotion soap even and that stuff washes out of my hand quicker than you can apply it, It is not for everyone that liquid soap in a shower (maybe with a brush it would work better with water off). Bar of soap works the best for myself any day with a brush. Anyways food for thought, I will stick with this for now until something better comes along which I doubt!
I'm definitely going to try it.

A thought just occurred:

What a GREAT way to get rid of the "boar brush funk"!!!

But then, would I want to start using it as a shave brush?! Tough call....

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If I shower after shaving then I often thoroughly rinse my brush under the shower head. I prefer a hard grade Salux and a triple milled bar soap for actually washing, so even my scrubbiest brush would not be sufficient. My wife might enjoy a synthetic brush in the shower so I may suggest it. Come to think of it I may offer to give her a hand, just to demonstrate the correct lathering technique 🤣

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It was an improvement in face washing and I didn’t use it in anywhere TMI or the feet. The lather was more luxurious than using only the friction skin of my hands and the bar soap (being a primate is awesome even if I’m not a species with a prehensile tail), but the fear of dropping the brush the whole time was overwhelming.

Stopping the shower to scrub and resuming to rinse seemed a nice way to ease up on the water heater, so that’s a common sense outcome not expected from a crazy experiment. Keeping that.

The fear of dropping the brush and the self-consciousness of using it would keep me from enjoying the brush for further bath times.

Another neat idea from @Ron R !

It was an improvement in face washing and I didn’t use it in anywhere TMI or the feet. The lather was more luxurious than using only the friction skin of my hands and the bar soap (being a primate is awesome even if I’m not a species with a prehensile tail), but the fear of dropping the brush the whole time was overwhelming.

Stopping the shower to scrub and resuming to rinse seemed a nice way to ease up on the water heater, so that’s a common sense outcome not expected from a crazy experiment. Keeping that.

The fear of dropping the brush and the self-consciousness of using it would keep me from enjoying the brush for further bath times.

Another neat idea from @Ron R !
If you fear dropping the brush, it looks like Ron has a safety lanyard on his. An adaptation of "soap on a rope"?

Ron R

If you fear dropping the brush, it looks like Ron has a safety lanyard on his. An adaptation of "soap on a rope"?
I suppose you could use it for a lanyard but the sole purpose for using it like is strictly drying the brush in the open air away from towels I drape over the shower bar . I put a few extra wide elastics around the handle for better grip and that is what I use seems to help a lot. I bought the 30 mm brush on sale for $10 US so if it breaks I'm not out a lot of $. A 24 mm brush works well also, I thought a bigger brush would be the best and it has a lot more bristles to clean with and release soap at the same time IMO. Handle design is important for a lot of soap cover, always room for improvement. :wink2:

Ron R

Made a few changes to my set up so it is more enjoyable for myself. I bought a 1/2inch NPT small shower ball valve so I only have one valve to throttle $14 Canadian + $6.50 shipping and + this keeps water temperature constant while lathering myself with just a small stream of water for wetting the brush every once in while to generate lather from my bar of soap. Great idea for folks who shave in the shower also is my thinking(I do not shave in the shower).
Also I did not notice after valve installed really any pressure drop in the water pressure out of the showerhead when open wide open + it completely shuts the water off if needed very easily & quickly!
Also ground a 3 flat spots on my 30mm yaqi brush for better grip with soapy hands along with a wide elastic band.

You know with huge water consumption in western USA and water reserves are being rationed it should be mandatory for these small valves installed on all shower heads because you don't need shower head water blasting away while lathering a persons body. Folks are going be taxed big time for water in future if not already for water consumption, we all need time until nature gives back its water in abundance + these little valves will pay for them selves very quickly for a small family.
If you have 50+ millions of people showering daily and if you can save 2 gallons of water by just using the water more wisely it will give folks a chance for the future where they want to live until nature corrects this drought we are in IMO (Every little bit helps to conserve precious water).
Shower head valve .5 inch NPT for lathering..jpg

Have some great shaves(showers:lol:)!

Last edited:

Ron R

Well one year later, I can say that both the brush and the valve have worked out wonderfully. The brush dries out super fast and the little $10 shower ball throttle valve attached to the shower nozzle has paid for it's self in spades for both in lathering the soap and $ money savings(it's basically a Navy shower idea of time delayed valve they use to conserve less limited fresh water on naval ships, sailors wet hair first then shampoo hair first, the timed valve shuts off and then scrubbing with soap lather then turn the timed valve back on wide open to rinse of any grimy lather) and the shave brush idea works well also. The brush lathers well after first a scrubbing with a long handled back brush & then the lathered brush does a easy job of cleaning the easy areas.
Even in Canada with abundant water we are feeling the effects of inflation and taxes, my town bill use to be $85 a month for water, garbage and snow removal and know it is $140 a month, some of the fellows who use a lot of water that I have coffee with on Tuesdays are saying their water utility service, garbage bill is over $200 a month in the middle of summer now. Our Town is out of control on keeping costs lower, the price of living up in Northern Alberta Canada are higher now with trucking chemicals + chemical costs must have risen for treating our towns water so its safe to drink!
I wash my hair first then scrub with with my long handled back scrub brush first and then use the 30mm shave brush in easy area's to reach while the valve is throttled to a trickle and after done lathering the valve is opened wide open again for just the rinse and I feel cleaner than the old way I use to shower.
I'm thinking the little ball valve will save me about $150 to $200 a year at least plus have better showers IMO!

When I live in Florida, we use to go to Tarpon Springs. They had tourist attraction where they took you out on Sponge Boat to Sponge Diving Area. Diver would go over board in hard hat dive gear. Snag some Sea Spongers that I am sure were planted for the tourists.

Most of the shops in Tarpon Springs sold natural sea sponges. They were great in shower, last long time.

Not sure the people in Tarpon Spring still dive for sea sponges.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Well one year later, I can say that both the brush and the valve have worked out wonderfully. The brush dries out super fast and the little $10 shower ball throttle valve attached to the shower nozzle has paid for it's self in spades for both in lathering the soap and $ money savings(it's basically a Navy shower idea of time delayed valve they use to conserve less limited fresh water on naval ships, sailors wet hair first then shampoo hair first, the timed valve shuts off and then scrubbing with soap lather then turn the timed valve back on wide open to rinse of any grimy lather) and the shave brush idea works well also. The brush lathers well after first a scrubbing with a long handled back brush & then the lathered brush does a easy job of cleaning the easy areas.
Even in Canada with abundant water we are feeling the effects of inflation and taxes, my town bill use to be $85 a month for water, garbage and snow removal and know it is $140 a month, some of the fellows who use a lot of water that I have coffee with on Tuesdays are saying their water utility service, garbage bill is over $200 a month in the middle of summer now. Our Town is out of control on keeping costs lower, the price of living up in Northern Alberta Canada are higher now with trucking chemicals + chemical costs must have risen for treating our towns water so its safe to drink!
I wash my hair first then scrub with with my long handled back scrub brush first and then use the 30mm shave brush in easy area's to reach while the valve is throttled to a trickle and after done lathering the valve is opened wide open again for just the rinse and I feel cleaner than the old way I use to shower.
I'm thinking the little ball valve will save me about $150 to $200 a year at least plus have better showers IMO!

I know 100% exactly what you are going through right now Ron. Most folks on here don't know what its like for us. Our water bill is also 200 dollars per month, and thats even in the winter time! I had to stop watering the yard because I can't afford it. If the plants die, or lawn dies, so be it, city water costs too dang much.

And unlike folks who get to have the enjoyment of daily wet shaves, I have to live with water conservation standards, just as you do on Navy ships! I really can only afford to have weekly wet shaves. If I want to shave more often then that, then I need to use my Panasonic Arc5 electric shaver. It sucks I know, but the ground water table is dropping, water shortages are a result.

So as much as I am sure chemical costs did go up for treating city water, we also know that the amount of drinking water available has gone down as well. Heck, Hoover Dam, famous for providing power to half of California and Nevada, last I heard, they had plans to shut down Hoover at some point, cause the lake is too dang low to support power production.

People are just gonna have to face it, water theme parks will become the thing of the past, just forget it people. We gotta start conserving our water, instead of splashing it everywhere like it doesn't mean anything. Planet heats up, water dissolves away. Conserve now, and maybe we can still be on this planet a little longer.

Cause you just never know, the next generation of kids, they might only be able to get their drinking water from bottled water, we just don't really know how bad its gonna get. So I try to be as responsible with my water as I can. Its not like the days when we were kids, and we were running through the sprinkler in bathing suits, those days are gone. And water is just too darn expensive these days.

Ron R

I know 100% exactly what you are going through right now Ron. Most folks on here don't know what its like for us. Our water bill is also 200 dollars per month, and thats even in the winter time! I had to stop watering the yard because I can't afford it. If the plants die, or lawn dies, so be it, city water costs too dang much.

And unlike folks who get to have the enjoyment of daily wet shaves, I have to live with water conservation standards, just as you do on Navy ships! I really can only afford to have weekly wet shaves. If I want to shave more often then that, then I need to use my Panasonic Arc5 electric shaver. It sucks I know, but the ground water table is dropping, water shortages are a result.

So as much as I am sure chemical costs did go up for treating city water, we also know that the amount of drinking water available has gone down as well. Heck, Hoover Dam, famous for providing power to half of California and Nevada, last I heard, they had plans to shut down Hoover at some point, cause the lake is too dang low to support power production.

People are just gonna have to face it, water theme parks will become the thing of the past, just forget it people. We gotta start conserving our water, instead of splashing it everywhere like it doesn't mean anything. Planet heats up, water dissolves away. Conserve now, and maybe we can still be on this planet a little longer.

Cause you just never know, the next generation of kids, they might only be able to get their drinking water from bottled water, we just don't really know how bad its gonna get. So I try to be as responsible with my water as I can. Its not like the days when we were kids, and we were running through the sprinkler in bathing suits, those days are gone. And water is just too darn expensive these days.
It's the new economy where every one is just charging more for everything as long as they can BS folks when they talk to a potential purchaser of their products they are trying sell to it seems to me.
I was talking to a friend I use to work with and mentioned to him that it is the first time where it's might to expensive to grow your own garden in my life time. I was telling the wife it's cheaper to buy vegetable's at the grocery store than growing your own.
We have some very large wildfires going on at the moment in Alberta Canada, I hope people do not worry to much about putting a fire out if needed thinking how much is it going to cost me when using their garden hose.:cursing:
A person has to be aware of how to save when possible because it all adds up to spend on something else that is needed. Saving a few dollars is the same as working to make a few dollars= the same money results, saving can also be cumulative over time and that is even better.
It is getting stupid for water pricing when we have one of the largest rivers in Alberta flowing by our town.

well never to late to jump in :)

not sure I would want to use a brush for my whole body but interesting thought I guess

just for input what I use and love love love for over 40 yrs been using these :)
last forever
easy to get your back
never gets stinky or gross etc..
dries super fast

truly best thing ever IMHO :)

image.jpeg

Top Bottom