What's new

Using a soap stick

Wet your face as normal. Dip the stick in water and rub on stubble then work into lather with brush.

Tbh I've not heard of a bad shave stick so far.

Worthy of special mention are Palmolive (ridiculously cheap and brilliant scent & performance) and Tabac (not as cheap but still brilliant).

Others I have used are Wilkinson Sword, Lea and Boots and all of them perform well.

wet your face, scrub soap on whiskers, wet brush goes to work. you can also do the same with a puck. there's plenty of fine sticks, and you can make a stick out of any soap you want. there's plenty of threads here about various sticks and how to make/use them

getting the soap to water ratios right is a bit harder than face lathering off a puck, or bowl, but it's a good skillset to have, especially for traveling.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm just curious. How do you use a stick? ...
An oldie but a goodie...

Last edited:
I always start with a shaken brush and work the proto lather for a while, then start dipping and shaking the brush tips.

wet your face, scrub soap on whiskers, wet brush goes to work. you can also do the same with a puck. there's plenty of fine sticks, and you can make a stick out of any soap you want. there's plenty of threads here about various sticks and how to make/use them

getting the soap to water ratios right is a bit harder than face lathering off a puck, or bowl, but it's a good skillset to have, especially for traveling.
I personally find using a stick is much easier than other methods to get the ratio right. To me, it's nearly foolproof. YMMV.

Wet your face as normal. Dip the stick in water and rub on stubble then work into lather with brush.

Worthy of special mention are Palmolive (ridiculously cheap and brilliant scent & performance) and Tabac (not as cheap but still brilliant).

Others I have used are Wilkinson Sword, Lea and Boots and all of them perform well.

+1! Yep!! Easy, peasy!!

I also suggest adding La Toja and Speick to your list. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I am not usually a fan of shave sticks Palmolive, Nivea and Arko have all given me problems and ended up in a dip bowl so I can bowl lather. However after trying Tabac stick recently I am now sold on the stick thing, excellent slickness and performance. I have a La Toja stick that I haven't used yet so I can't comment on its performance yet.

I like sticks, especially for travel.
Wet face, wet stick, rub stick on stubble, face lather with wet brush!

The Palmolive one is my fave, cheap, efficient, slick, nice scent.
Speick is also great, Wlkinson was ok.
I was very disappointed by the TOBS Sandalwood stick, though. The fancy plastic shell broke, the smell wasn’t nice, the stick became slimy over time, it was a mess I ended up throwing away. Unfortunately yet to try Arko or La Toja.

...I have a La Toja stick that I haven't used yet so I can't comment on its performance yet.
[/QUOTE]
La Toja is one of the best. It may take a few tries to get the soap dialed in. If you use too much soap, this is what happens:

volcano-1.jpeg

OK... I just wonder what the benefit of a shave stick is other than perhaps for travel purposes..... I have La Toja stick that I tried once and have just never found a reason to use it again...... :letterk1:

OK... I just wonder what the benefit of a shave stick is other than perhaps for travel purposes..... I have La Toja stick that I tried once and have just never found a reason to use it again...... :letterk1:
It's very quick to use. Very compact. It's efficient, you don't waste soap. You can use it easily if you shave in the shower. Minimal cleanup afterwards, just rinse it off and put the cap back on.

Shave sticks are the go to method for me. Ridiculously easy to lather.
Tabac, Arko and Derby probably lather best but the scents are not to everyone's taste.
La Toga and Boots are very good performers, as is Palmolive but it's becoming increasingly hard to find (in the UK at least) I think it's be discontinued.
I'm yet to try Wilkinson Sword, Lea and Speick

The Erasmic stick does not lather at all. I'm not sure if it's still in production but picked up a stick in a red box and one in a black box a few years back. It's as efficient as just splashing water on your face and running a razor over it

I used Arko, tabac, speick and recently paa in a superb stick. Paa also makes a travel ice pre shave soap stick.

And if you have leftovers soap it is relative easy to grind heat and mold that in a shave stick housing.

For the rest wet face rib with soap and lather with a wet brush easy

Top Bottom