What's new

Using 1/2 a DE blade in my Schick injector

Look into the Razorock Eco for a half DE or SHade razor. It comes in other colors.
View attachment 1543943

As for daily drivers, I bought this razor in the mid-seventies at Long's Drugs. It was my only razor for many years.
View attachment 1543942

I am also looking at the Razorock Echo. It's also half the price of the Twig. I have read that some people find the head too big on the Echo compared to the Twig. What I like about the Schick is the size of the head. It gets under my nose perfectly and I just find it so awesome to use. It's not heavy yet not as light and cheap feeling as cartridge razors.

I am also looking at the Razorock Echo. It's also half the price of the Twig. I have read that some people find the head too big on the Echo compared to the Twig. What I like about the Schick is the size of the head. It gets under my nose perfectly and I just find it so awesome to use. It's not heavy yet not as light and cheap feeling as cartridge razors.
It's pretty much a half DE head, size wise. It's all aluminum and very light, so I put a heaver handle on mine. I have a mustache so I use a mustache razor to shave it away from my nose.

When I first saw this thread I rolled my eyes and sighed, oy vay. But when I read how simple this is and considered the cost of Chicks it became less and less silly. I may just try it. Good work, Frank Discussion !

When I first saw this thread I rolled my eyes and sighed, oy vay. But when I read how simple this is and considered the cost of Chicks it became less and less silly. I may just try it. Good work, Frank Discussion !

Hey, give it a try and if you don't like it no harm no foul. It is quite easy to do and using a brand-new Wilkinson Sword blade it gave for me an easy cut/irritation free BBS shave in just two passes using just canned Gillette Foamy. I like it so much I am now looking at getting a real 1/2 DE blade razor like the Thorn or the Yaqi Katana. :thumbsup:

I bet the audible sounds you are getting are from the thinness of the half blade.
Ive always wanted to add a Twig to my collection but they just dont come up for sale used very often. Id love to try multi blades of my favorite brand blade some day.

I bet the audible sounds you are getting are from the thinness of the half blade.
Ive always wanted to add a Twig to my collection but they just dont come up for sale used very often. Id love to try multi blades of my favorite brand blade some day.

Yes, the thinner blade is probably the reason for the audible feedback. It was very loud. As for the Leaf Twig or Thorn they run about $80+tax here. I'd like to get the Thorn out of the two. I suppose a used one may come up for sale on the regular auction sites. I'd also like to find a Yaqi Katana single edge razor one day.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I'm also on the "supporting DIY to explore possibilities and satisfy curiosity" side.

I shaved with a DE blade for two months, on my face and all over my head.
So I don't prefer having to be limited to a few brands of injector blades just for "longer usage time".

Shaving is meant to be relaxing and fun, and everyone can choose the way they like.

Yes, the thinner blade is probably the reason for the audible feedback. It was very loud. As for the Leaf Twig or Thorn they run about $80+tax here. I'd like to get the Thorn out of the two. I suppose a used one may come up for sale on the regular auction sites. I'd also like to find a Yaqi Katana single edge razor one day.
I can definitely see myself trying your idea, @Frank Discussion.
I also have the Yaqi Katana head but haven't used it much. I think having too much choice can be a bad thing... I'm going to get it out tonight and give it a good run. It's certainly a nice looking piece.

I have a Rocnel razor that uses half DEs, too. That's a much heavier model, but I've enjoyed it when I used it in the past. I should dig that one out, too.

I should also downsize. Hmmmm.....

Gave this a try this morning. Already had a de blade snapped in half. Cutting it to fit the injector razor was easy. Getting it in the razor a little more difficult but I got it in without cutting my self! I did notice the blade was not very ridged. When I pressed on the top of the blade it flexed pretty easily. No center support underneath .
Two days growth, three pass shave.
Result was somewhere between dfs and bbs. Lots of audible feedback. No cuts, no nicks, no weepers and no irritation! A smooth comfortable shave.
Thanks for the tip @Frank Discussion

Gave this a try this morning. Already had a de blade snapped in half. Cutting it to fit the injector razor was easy. Getting it in the razor a little more difficult but I got it in without cutting my self! I did notice the blade was not very ridged. When I pressed on the top of the blade it flexed pretty easily. No center support underneath .
Two days growth, three pass shave.
Result was somewhere between dfs and bbs. Lots of audible feedback. No cuts, no nicks, no weepers and no irritation! A smooth comfortable shave.
Thanks for the tip @Frank Discussion

Awesome report! Glad it worked out for you. I will be using my Shick L1 with 1/2 a Wilkinson DE blade this Sunday for "Single Edge Sunday". :thumbsup:

Didn't try this DE blade in an injector razor yet, but did dig out my Yaqi Katana head, put in a new Polsilver blade (well, half of one) and that little fella mowed down 4-5 days of growth with no effort whatsoever. More rinsing is required when using a half blade, but the shave was wonderful.

Didn't try this DE blade in an injector razor yet, but did dig out my Yaqi Katana head, put in a new Polsilver blade (well, half of one) and that little fella mowed down 4-5 days of growth with no effort whatsoever. More rinsing is required when using a half blade, but the shave was wonderful.
Been wanting a Katana. Will be in my next order from aliexpress.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Frank, I couldn’t make this work. Sorry.
I would try 2 X 1/2 blades stacked together would increase rigidity. I was experimentally a while back with DE blade in a Gem razor and it is just to flexible for a good shave. Subie shaves(Youtube) uses 2 blades stacked together on a lot of his head shaves with different razors and he claims it works ( he has lots of good hacks for blades). 2 blades together should make it work IMO a much better. Just a thought, maybe I will try this down the road.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well this kind of got me interested in this blade hack and thought why not try it in my Schick E type(easy to load this Schick with the swivel spring release). I use electric tape on all my blades that I snip to keep stuff from flying of in different directions and it is safer to handle + I fold the tape edges against the sharp edges. Then I snip the blades into the desired shapes. I have not cut my self doing this method with lots of Gem blades over the years.
You will find that the blade curves a little when done cutting but all I did was stack the curved pcs inside one another and when clamped they are tight with no gap light shining through them.
Tomorrow I will test it out with this Personna blade on its (4th) shave. All for this Subie stack blade hack world of shaving enthusiasts. I would do this hack if I had no injector blades around & had to improvise maybe. (but I'm willing to try a Subie stack & yes I have lots of injector blades on hand.) First time stacking any DE blades together for a shave + 2 blades should give enough rigidity I'm thinking for my comfort level of experimenting purposes ! There is risk of cutting your face or hands involved with this hack so I would mention to be cautious for Greenhorns and even seasoned shavers of attempting it.
(The Wilkinson blade is a spent blade for demonstration of what I did, I'm not the best at explaining things so photo's help.)
YY Stubie stack 2 DE blades..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom