What's new

useful lifetime of Soap stick

Does anyone know what the useful lifetime of any of the following soap sticks is once opened? (see attached picture)
I'm not talking about how many shaves you get, as I know that varies on a number of factors.
  1. Lea Shaving Soap Stick
  2. Speick Men's Shaving Stick
  3. Arko Shaving Cream Soap Stick
I didn't include Palmolive soap sticks, as they're no longer in production.

Attachments

• 6m.jpg
    6m.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 20
With soaps like Lea, Speick and other hard sticks and pucks I can see them lasting almost forever even with use. Not sure about arko since I haven’t used it. Cella (especially the kilo brick) and soft artisan soft soaps I definitely understand why they would have an expiration date on them. And the only reason some products like table salt which has been around for how many billions of years? without going bad the only reason I can think of is because some law or regulation says it has to have it

Most commercial hard soaps will last indefinitely. Figure a decade at least, but could last much longer.

For soft artisan soaps with lots of added fats all bets are off.

+1! So long as there is no mold, old soaps are just fine (especially vintage OS)!!

I have all of those sticks in my rotation, all over three years old. They are fine.

Palmolive, Wilkinson, La Toja are also going strong.

From a recent look:
- Speick Men's Shaving Stick bought 2014. 2023 changed to a darker colour under the foil and smell is milder and a bit off.
- Arko Shaving Cream Soap Stick (mfg 2012;exp 2019). Smell profile started dwindling in 2020/2021 and is now a very, very mellow Ivory soap smell but no change in colour or performance.

I have some Palmolive sticks that are at least 10 years old and are still fine, and an Arko stick that was made in 2014 that I put into a plastic shave stick holder and the only change has been a softening of the scent.

Ah Arko. The price in Canada has skyrocketed to just under $40 for 12 and the supply has dwindled. The price last year was sub $15 for 12 from Amazon.

Does anyone know what the useful lifetime of any of the following soap sticks is once opened? (see attached picture)
I'm not talking about how many shaves you get, as I know that varies on a number of factors.
  1. Lea Shaving Soap Stick
  2. Speick Men's Shaving Stick
  3. Arko Shaving Cream Soap Stick
I didn't include Palmolive soap sticks, as they're no longer in production.
Hard soaps will last for years, even decades if reserve sticks/pucks are kept wrapped and sealed at reasonable temperatures. Main effect of time will be a weakening of the scent. If kept open or in a not tightly sealed container scent will dissipate faster. No issues so far with my soaps that are up to 4 years old.

For soaps in your current rotation the key is to let them dry overnight after each use before closing the container.

@pogonophic Arko is currently listed for $19.98 for 12 sticks on Amazon's U.S. sight. Not as much an increase as in Canada but still higher than the $12 it was sold for a couple of years ago.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Isn't that expiry date an EU requirement? Since Turkey isn't in the EU, they wouldn't have to use that label, at least not outside the EU.
Its required in Europe, meaning the time it is good after opening. However, I have soaps and some sticks that are decades old...and still will give you a fine shave, just the scent has faded.

Top Bottom