What's new

Used shaving soaps

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It wouldn’t bother me to buy a used soap. I would just give it a test lather first to remove anything on the top then use it. After all how many of us have gone to someone’s house and used a cake of soap on the basin to wash your hands.

Buying a used is a personal choice. I usually refrain from purchasing used soap unless I know the behaviour of the person regarding handling his shaving soaps.

Before anyone says it's just a soap, I've seen people who don't care about drying out the soap after use, hygiene is overrated and have managed to ruin a Cella bowl in less than 6 months.

I purchased 2 Wickham soaps recently and put them under hot water flow for a minute, gave them a rinse and left them open to dry.
They are good as new, maybe minus some strength in scent because they are 5-6 years old.

Purchase the soap used if you really like it, new soap of same is unavailable due to production discontinued or customs charges etc.
If you are at a place where you can get it new by a small difference, purchase it new.

I know a few soaps for which will there will be no dearth of buyers if it came out for sake, even used.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
You kidding me? I'll be using a used brush tomorrow bought off the BST without any concerns. Heck, I can't think of anything in my house outside of the kitchen or my hands that is treated with... SOAP... every time I use it. So any of you cootie fearing types need to unload a used soap lot, let me know.:straight:

Depends of its previous owner.
In general I do not buy used soapeven And I use a butter knife to take some out and never load in the soap container
But you still do not know what others do.
In general soap should be relative insensitive to bacteria, molds and viruses. So you should be safe

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wonder if anyone has ever read a thread on the merits of purchasing used soaps, razors, or brushes and changed their mind as a result. I suspect not, myself included, which is a bit sad really. There are a lot of entrenched unchanging views these days it seems.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I wonder if anyone has ever read a thread on the merits of purchasing used soaps, razors, or brushes and changed their mind as a result. I suspect not, myself included, which is a bit sad really. There are a lot of entrenched unchanging views these days it seems.

Why is it sad? I prefer the merits of buying new. Aside from the sanitary aspects, it helps both producers and retailers.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Why is it sad? I prefer the merits of buying new. Aside from the sanitary aspects, it helps both producers and retailers.
I have not suggested that choosing to buy, or not to buy, used or new products is sad, each have their merits and I purchase both new and used. I am saying that seemingly these days, opinions on more and more subjects are entrenched and rarely changed by discussion and it is that which seems regrettable to me.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have not suggested that choosing to buy, or not to buy, used or new products is sad, each have their merits and I purchase both new and used. I am saying that seemingly more so these days, opinions are entrenched and rarely changed by discussion and it is that which seems regrettable to me.

I've never been easily influenced :biggrin1:

I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking to what you believe in, so long as you give room for others to differ. What I would say is wrong with today's world, is the increasing social divisions between those who think differently. ALL my real world friends are people who think differently to me in some way or another. That's what makes them interesting and wonderful people to be around. There are a couple who slip into intolerance of opposing ideas occasionally, but for the most part, we are united by our differences, not divided by them. Sadly the trend is becoming one of stand by those who agree with you and revile those who do not.

That's no reflection on your post. I'm just highlighting what I perceive as "entrenched" ideas. Not the inability to change, but the inability to accept that we don't all have to be unified in the same perspectives. I won't buy a used soap, but have no issue with those that do. I'm glad to have people around that I can palm my stuff onto if I don't like it :001_tongu

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If you are really asking how to ..... sanitize or .... clean the virus/germ killer called soap than you really shouldn't buy used soap :)

Exactly. I’ve also said before that this ‘problem’ has nothing to do with germs/viruses, it’s a ‘heebie jeebie’ problem. Soap and water can kill germs, but not the heebie jeebies. What do you when you go out to a restaurant? All those plates are used by thousands of other people and cleaned with ‘JUST’ soap and water.

I’m not criticizing other people’s desires or wants, I’m just pointing out that real germs have little or nothing to do with it. It’s an attitude, which is fine.

Exactly. I’ve also said before that this ‘problem’ has nothing to do with germs/viruses, it’s a ‘heebie jeebie’ problem. Soap and water can kill germs, but not the heebie jeebies. What do you when you go out to a restaurant? All those plates are used by thousands of other people and cleaned with ‘JUST’ soap and water.

I’m not criticizing other people’s desires or wants, I’m just pointing out that real germs have little or nothing to do with it. It’s an attitude, which is fine.

Yeah....

...I look forward to seeing the replies to a soap in B-S-T with a posting like:

"Hi, guys! I'm selling this artisanal soap that I've only used a half dozen times. It's a whole $5. off list! Full disclosure, I've got HIV and hep, but it's soap, so you can easily wash with warm water. No problem."

Waiting patiently for the "sale pending" post.

Ignorance is bliss.

When I played football in high school, the soap we used in the shower had been used by countless others. I didn’t think about it then, nor do I think about it now. The thing they tell us to do to avoid COVID is wash with soap and water. I figure if you take a used puck and use it like bar soap for a few minutes, any germs that have managed to survive on the soap will be washed down the drain.

I still have a big jar for the frankensoap leftover samples blend I tend to make. Sometimes it works sometimes it is not

I get you, OP. The very idea of using something directly on my skin that someone else used? Ugh, pass. But. I have purchased used soap as well and it's turned out well, smelled great, performed well, etc. It's all about your comfort level. In terms of hygiene? Absolutely safe and certainly so if you wash off a 'layer'. In terms of value? That's up to you.

Let me put this differently. Suppose someone on B&B offered to send you a free sample from one of their soaps. Would this creep you out or would you be like, ok, sure, that's nice and I would love the chance to sample. I don't see a difference between the sample and buying a used tub. This is not a judgment. It's just meant to help you gauge whether used soaps are for you. And if there are not, perhaps when you might feel comfortable making an exception.

Top Bottom