What's new

Used Razor blade banks????

Nasty used razor blades are a problem, some plastic 10 blade affairs have the old, put the used in the back, which is fairly safe. Probably put double in the used side, and a good advert to those bin/waste guys to be careful of, OK?
Now we have razor bins costing up ten dollars/pounds ffs!

2 years and I'm up to maybe a tenth up an a homemade tin instant coffee.

Attachments

• 20220712_210335.jpg
    20220712_210335.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 10

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
An old shaving soap container, plastic or metal with a screw on lid would work too. I used to use a little glass mason jar one of the 6 or 8oz size ones. Occasionally I'd sprinkle in a little salt and water. By the time it was full the blades had no edge to speak of and I would just toss them in the garbage straight away. They sharpen fish hooks chemically, I was unsharpening chemically. LOL

An old shaving soap container, plastic or metal with a screw on lid would work too. I used to use a little glass mason jar one of the 6 or 8oz size ones. Occasionally I'd sprinkle in a little salt and water. By the time it was full the blades had no edge to speak of and I would just toss them in the garbage straight away. They sharpen fish hooks chemically, I was unsharpening chemically. LOL
That’s interesting! So salt water over time will dull the blade? How long would it have to be in there?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
That’s interesting! So salt water over time will dull the blade? How long would it have to be in there?
With salt, they will start rusting very quickly. Sprinkle in a bit of salt and then a little water and let the water evaporate. You can occasionally shake up the container and repeat. The stainless steel razor blades are made with will rust just fine when properly encouraged.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I do not remember how many of these blade bank threads I posted on but I still enjoy looking and reading them.
I use modified magnetic business cards to hold my current blade in rotation at one time, on the road I use my Personna blade tuck to store spent blades (don't throw in hotel room waste basket for maids to cut them selves). And the large penny bank I never used that I picked up at a garage sale for 50 cents.
Every once in a while I empty the small 1/4 quart jar of blades & tape them with duct tape and throw in the metal bin or garbage!
blade handling (2).jpg
blade bank.jpg

Have some great shaves!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Now we have razor bins costing up ten dollars/pounds ffs!
There are members here with hundreds of razors and soaps, and they are still buying several more every month in an endless cycle of dissatisfaction. If they spent $500 on a blade bank they couldn't be any more bonkers than they are already. Convince them it is an unobtanium, slightly more 'efficient', hybrid blade bank, and they may go to $1000, they may even buy two, one to use and one as an investment 😂

I use a screw topped Zip Lock storage container (8 oz?) that has a very thin slit at the top and whose top has been generously glued shut with waterproof silicone adhesive.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
There are members here with hundreds of razors and soaps, and they are still buying several more every month in an endless cycle of dissatisfaction. If they spent $500 on a blade bank they couldn't be any more bonkers than they are already. Convince them it is an unobtanium, slightly more 'efficient', hybrid blade bank, and they may go to $1000, they may even buy two, one to use and one as an investment 😂
If you paint it black and call it Tactical some folks will give you 3x that.

I use a large old plastic spice jar with the kind of lid that flips up on one side so you can pour rather than sprinkle out the seasonings. I keep it in the bottom cabinet of the vanity.

Living in a rural area, every couple, three years I dispose of the collected used blades, wrapped up for the landfill to finish the process. I suppose I could dig a hole in the pasture but 1000 years from now, some dude with a metal detector might be working the area...

I use a steel blade bank so it can be recycled when it's full. Just beat or crush the slot closed before recycling. It should get picked up by the magnet in the recycling process and then get melted down safely.

Non-magnetic containers might be less easy to recycle.

Some of the many previous discussions.

With salt, they will start rusting very quickly. Sprinkle in a bit of salt and then a little water and let the water evaporate. You can occasionally shake up the container and repeat. The stainless steel razor blades are made with will rust just fine when properly encouraged.
Or, as I do...
I clean everyone prior.
Re-used as window scrapers or similar to those nasty things that acetone doesn't clear away?

Top Bottom