What's new

used my cartridge razor today

First time in over a month, just to see the difference. Don't worry im a DE guy now, but i had to try it out with a fresh cartridge just to see. I re-lathered and took two passes (ATG too) to be fair, and the cartridge didnt even come close to the shaves ive been getting with a month of DE experience. I even used my brush and some proraso which I did NOT use before i started DE.
I switched to DE because i got tired of paying like $20 for cartridges just to get home and realize they were the wrong kind, but look just like what my razor takes, and then they only last a little while anyway. Sure i had to buy a brush, and a new DE razor (or a couple:001_rolle) but in the long run im better off now, and better shaves too!

Hope you're not torn up! I must admit I can get equal shaves by using a cartridge razor. Though the 'razor' us not as fun to use.

Tyler, I feel your pain ... in my case, literally.

I had to get out of the house early this morning, when the rest of the family was still asleep. And to assure that my wife slept through my morning ablution, I didn't want to turn on a lot of lights, run the faucets full blast for some nice, hot water, etc.

Bottom line, I pulled out my old electric Braun. What a huge mistake. Immediately after the shave, I had more stubble than I usually see at 5 p.m., and neck irritation like crazy.

So I conclude there is no valid reason for anything short of a wet shave in the morning, with a DE. I'll regret my decision all day long.

Hope you're not torn up! I must admit I can get equal shaves by using a cartridge razor. Though the 'razor' us not as fun to use.

I get decent shaves from a cartridge i have to be honest in saying, though i much rather a de shave as its far more fun and refreshing, the only time i use a cartridge now if i am in a rush and thats not often as i make sure i give myself plenty of time to shave.

I've wondered about this myself. I got my DE about two weeks ago because I was down to one M3 cart and didn't want to spend another $36 on 16 carts. I had been using M3s for several years, but had been using Trumpers soap w/ a badger brush for about 10 months.

Now, with the M3, I only did 2 passes: wtg and atg. With my DE I usually do three passes, 4 if I have the time (daily routine alternating wtg-xtg-xtg, and wtg-xtg-atg.)

I wonder if I tried this approach with a cartridge, would I get a similar result? Maybe, but that may be irrelevant. Even if I get a similar shave with the M3, I don't think it can be better than what I'm getting with my DE, so the real difference comes down to the money it costs to shave in those ways. The only other possible argument for a cartridge like the M3 would be it saves time... which is possible. I'm taking about 15 minute shaves, though I can bang one out in 10 minutes if I needed to. This isn't very much longer than the shaves I was getting with my M3.

I've been here several months now, and I'm sorry to say, I can actually get a better shave with my M3 then the DE. Still working on it, so no worries mate!

I actually get pretty decent shaves with my Sensor cartridge razor. Though I probably wouldn't get a good one with a Mach 3 or something ridiculous like a Fusion or Quatro.

I am definitely sticking with the DE wet shaving but I wasn't getting horrendous shaves before either. :wink:

I've been here several months now, and I'm sorry to say, I can actually get a better shave with my M3 then the DE. Still working on it, so no worries mate!

Whoa crazy, I have been shaving with a DE for over a year now and I can say that even with my sensor, mach 3 and fusion, I can get a close shave but not as close as I get with de razors! I started getting bbs shaves with in a few shaves and now it is daily!

Cheers,

I have to admit to using a cartridge blade at times. I'm in a band and it's usual when I have a shave an hour or so before we go on stage. I'm still relatively new to DE shaving, so though thought of a nick on stage isn't good. Plus, I haven't got a travel DE shaver yet. I have just spotted a case that will fit my merkur Futar :smile:
Once I get my technique down, the cartridge blade will be no more. The electric shaver I have I doubt will ever get used again. Wet shaving all the way.

when I used my Fusion last week because of time constraints I kicked myself for doing it. not only did I not get a poor shave but my face was incredibly itchy afterwards. I still think cartridge razors are a necessary evil if you're pressed for time, but in most cases avoid it at all costs.

In the name of science, I tired out my Atra today with a Personna cart. Awful shave: too much irritation, parts of my face felt raw, and the aftershave burned about 10 times worst then when I use my DE/SE razors.

It goes without saying, I am done with those kind of tests. :lol::lol:

My quality of shaves with a DE varies depending on how much time I spend shaving. If I have the extra time I get better results shaving with a DE.

My shaves were almost always decent with my M3 regardless of how much time I spent shaving. Like so many others though, I just find DE shaving to be more enjoyable. I eventually threw out my M3.

I committed to the DE, but still use the cartridge once in awhile and I must say with proper prep, I'm still better with the cartridge. There are a couple of spots on the neck that I still can't finesse as well with the DE.

BUT, I see the DE catching up with every shave. Also going through a sampler pack of blades to find the right one.

It's just a matter of time.

The DE is much more enjoyable.

To all-

No suprises here.

There is a a time/place for a cartridge, but its no substitute for a Feather blade in a Gillette New.

Tyler, I feel your pain ... in my case, literally.

I had to get out of the house early this morning, when the rest of the family was still asleep. And to assure that my wife slept through my morning ablution, I didn't want to turn on a lot of lights, run the faucets full blast for some nice, hot water, etc.

Bottom line, I pulled out my old electric Braun. What a huge mistake. Immediately after the shave, I had more stubble than I usually see at 5 p.m., and neck irritation like crazy.

So I conclude there is no valid reason for anything short of a wet shave in the morning, with a DE. I'll regret my decision all day long.

Add me to this list too. Was running late for class, grabbed the Norelco... what a mistake.

I think most of us have tried the cartridge just to see. Personally I found I could get a smooth shave, but I really don't like all of the tugging!

I switched to wet shaving with a DE two months ago and have been very happy with the results. Like the OP, I also went back to try my Sensor Excel but with Proraso instead of that awful canned ****e. The shave was decent and probably quicker but not by much. I enjoy the DE more and feel like I cheated myself for not using it.
Heck, I'll even admit to using my electric last weekend on a lark. It was a crappy shave as expected but as I was pretty busy, it didn't affect my day at all.
Anyway, I guess we'll all try out the old hardware but if you're a DE regular, there just no going back.

-M

Top Bottom