What's new

Used book question

I only buy new if I am looking for a specific book, and it has proven difficult to find. Otherwise, book prices are so outrageous that I have to buy used to justify the cost.

I agree. Were you to print a copy of the book, that would be another story.

Sorry for the other long reply, but intellectual property has been a topic with me lately...:blushing:

Once a person relinquishes his ownership of the book, and has not violated any other contractual obligations for the book, (I'm not aware of any such obligations not to resell the book, as opposed to re-selling some Microsoft software products, for example) there is no problem with buying a used book. The problem is when multiple copies are being shared simultaneously, i.e. burning a music CD over and over and handing it over to friends while you still groove to the original--that's a no-no.

Personally, I buy used books. I'm a big fan of used book stores, but I'm a bigger fan of the public library system. :001_smile

With exceptions, most of the time when books get sold as used the publisher has quit producing them. No royalties are lost by the author because no more copies are being produced.

Often the only way to get much sought after titles is to buy them used. And that is especially true for first editions or autographed copies, which can be highly prized and much sought after.

As a librarian and know several published authors, I can vouch for the fact that most of them are voracious readers and ardent supporters of libraries. Most authors love having their books in the library (it's free advertising) and many lesser known authors will solicit library systems to get their books on their shelves to get their name out there. As far as royalties are concerned, that is such a small percentage of what a major author is paid, that's it's no big deal to them. Grisham makes his money from his contract and movie rights, not royalties. That's just my experience as a librarian talking, YMMV. :tongue_sm

With exceptions, most of the time when books get sold as used the publisher has quit producing them. No royalties are lost by the author because no more copies are being produced.

Often the only way to get much sought after titles is to buy them used. And that is especially true for first editions or autographed copies, which can be highly prized and much sought after.

The like-new copies that you see at some book sellers like Half-Price books are called "remaindered." It's basically a type of overstock. Publishers release remaindered copies to clear space in their warehouse.

Once a person relinquishes his ownership of the book, and has not violated any other contractual obligations for the book, (I'm not aware of any such obligations not to resell the book, as opposed to re-selling some Microsoft software products, for example) there is no problem with buying a used book. The problem is when multiple copies are being shared simultaneously, i.e. burning a music CD over and over and handing it over to friends while you still groove to the original--that's a no-no.

Personally, I buy used books. I'm a big fan of used book stores, but I'm a bigger fan of the public library system. :001_smile

It's people like you that keep me employed!!! THANK YOU!!!!! :biggrin:

Throughout the 25 years I spent in Israel, I patronized used-book stores. In Jerusalem, there were The Book Stop (Tzvi and Patsy Arnow) and The Book Maven (ז"ל Tuvia Ariel); in Tel-Aviv, "there could only be one": The Book Shuk (Moishe). All of them were my close friends.

It's just the way it was... a central public library in the "large" cities, which charged a yearly membership fee that varied according to number-of-books checked-out... and it wasn't inexpensive, either. Did I say that the public libraries had about a dozen books in English, between 'em?

During those 25 years, I returned to the US several times, for one or two years-at-a-stretch; and the first thing I did upon returning was to find the nearest public library and acquire a library card. I still have all of them.

Today, after four-and-a-half years back in the US, I continue to patronize my local public library on a weekly basis, usually reading two books at-a-time. And it's all fiction. OK, not "all"... maybe only 80% of printed books (and magazines, journals, etc.)... in fact, maybe only 50%, given the amount of factual and informative stuff I read on-line.

I'm pretty sure that most of us "forget" just how much reading we do on-line.

Smooth shaving!

I pretty much only buy used books, unless it is something I really want. Even then, buy it new on ebay. Can't wait for the new James Ellroy, speaking of books I'll have to buy new.

I'm a Harlan Coben fan as well, but has anyone noticed that all his non-Myron Bolitar books are the same? Person is missing for a long time. Protagonist is sad about this. Notices random one in a million thing and finds missing person. Also, somewhere along the way someone will be wrongfully imprisoned or at least accused of a serious crime they did not commit. I still love 'em.

BDD

Top Bottom