What's new

Use a stand or not?

I'm a little obsessive about this. I've always hung my brushes (exclusively badger)...I guess I have a vision of any remaining moisture on the bristles (admittedly very little after my shaking and towel-drying) properly moving via gravity toward the tip, rather than toward the knot.

Logically, the knot should be able to withstand a little moisture (which would surely dry quickly anyway), so hanging is probably not necessary.

Now, the kicker: my current ED brush (EJ Best) came with a stand, and its instructions said to hang it. Significantly, the printing on the brush is such that it's readable when the brush is hung. Interestingly, I've seen some EJ brushes with the printing the other way, and presumably sold without a stand. My soon-to-be here Simpson Colonel is (as are all Simpsons AFAIK) printed so to be readable with the brush standing on its handle, bristles up.
I have a stand ready and waiting for my Simpson, but I know it will vex me that I can't read the printing whilst it is hung. :a36:

So...???? Do what makes you happy.:001_rolle

Nice pic. I want to put up some sort of shelf in the bathroom. Does your picture imply that no stand is needed for a damp brush?
It implies that he is a ballin' badass because he drive a Mercedes. Realistically, that is a terrible place to keep an expensive electronic key FOB. Next time just prop your penis on the shelf and get it over with.

I kid...in that way that really isn't kidding but I don't want to sound like a jerk.

I generally use a stand with my basic boar brush (Omega 48), but lately I have seen comments along the lines of "capillary action will draw moisture up and out of the bristles," or words to that effect. So which is it? Should I hang it upside down or leave it on the base?
Tested for a year. Did not matter in that timeframe.

I use a stand with the Parker synthetic I currently shave with, but that is mostly because it came with a stand. When I was still using my previous brush (a cheap synthetic Omega, not bad at all but too floppy for my taste) I did not use a stand and felt no need to acquire one.

I guess hanging a brush might, in theory, help the bloom stay denser or more even, but the difference is probably minimal. I think the only situation in which I would actively seek out a stand would be if my brush had a wooden handle, since that way I'd know it wouldn't end up sitting in a puddle.

I hang whichever brush that I used that day in my one stand. Then it is replaced when the next shave occurs with the next wet brush. I probably wouldn't fool with a stand at all if one of my brushes hadn't come with a stand; however, since I already have it, I figured that I may as well use it. I certainly don't see how it could cause any real harm, but I certainly don't think that it is a necessity at all. Use a stand if you have it but don't sweat it if you don't would be my advice.

I don't use a stand, but I rotate heavily. IMHO, brushes should be allowed to dry out completely between use. Probably not great to have the hairs and knot continually damp.

I have a stand to keep the wife happy - a place for everything. But half my brushes don't fit it.
Over the years, there's been no negative effect on my brushes.

I used to worry about hanging them... not anymore. I flick off as much water as I can after cleaning it out, then fluff it up on the towel and put it away. Its never wet enough to drip so hanging probably doesn't do as much as separating the hairs as much as possible to allow evaporation.

Not that I have been doing time measurements but since a few weeks I deliberately have NOT used my brush stand and I have a feeling that my brushes dry quicker now.
It's probably marginal, but noticeable. To me anyway...

As a recovering engineer, let me over-think this...

If a brush is dripping wet, a stand would be preferable, as the water would run down the bristles because of gravity.

If, on the other hand, the brush is almost dry (as I believe most of ours are, as we squeeze and shake out the water and even towel-dry), the water vapor (molecular water) would leave the brush more effectively if the brush were "bristles up." If bristles down, the vapor would be trapped by/in the knot.:blink:

I realize that the "dripping wet" scenario would evolve to the "molecular" stage after a while. So maybe it would be best to store the brush on the stand for the first 12 hours and then on its handle for the next 12 hours. Or...maybe we should have a timer-driven motorized stand that would turn the brush over at the appointed time (or maybe with a moisture sensor to do it exactly at the right time).

Me? I just hang the brush on a stand and forget about...I like it that way...the brushes look rested and relaxed, rather than standing at attention. :001_rolle

There are no stands in my shave den. I currently have seven brushes on the counter, all knots up, handle down.

I've tried stands n the past and didn't like them. They take up too much space, and don't really accomplish anything. The last time I used one, it caused my Semogue 620 to shed bristles like crazy after each use. As soon as I stopped putting it in the stand, the shedding stopped.

If you do insist on using a stand, make sure it holds the brush by the handle, and doesn't pinch the knot. That's what caused the shedding on the 620.

If brush makers wanted us to use stands, they would include one with every brush. It would add 25cents to their production costs, and they would raise the retail price of the brush by $10.

The logo on every brush handle is designed to be read with the knot up and the base down.

There are no stands in my shave den. I currently have seven brushes on the counter, all knots up, handle down.

I've tried stands n the past and didn't like them. They take up too much space, and don't really accomplish anything. The last time I used one, it caused my Semogue 620 to shed bristles like crazy after each use. As soon as I stopped putting it in the stand, the shedding stopped.

If you do insist on using a stand, make sure it holds the brush by the handle, and doesn't pinch the knot. That's what caused the shedding on the 620.

If brush makers wanted us to use stands, they would include one with every brush. It would add 25cents to their production costs, and they would raise the retail price of the brush by $10.

The logo on every brush handle is designed to be read with the knot up and the base down.
Although I use stands, I don't like the fact that sometimes the brushes fall out of the stand. I know some will say the brushes have come to life and want to escape the stands and rest on their handles...I'm not convinced of that, but I will listen to arguments on that point.

As regards your last point, my EJ Best brush did come with a stand, and the logo is printed so that is readable with the brush in the stand...and the instruction manual says to hang the brush. I see that, now, most/all of the EJs I see online are sold without stand, and the logo is printed so it's legible with the brush in the bristles up position. My recently-acquired Simpson Colonel has no stand and the logo is oriented for bristles-up presentation. The Simpson manual says nothing about post-shave orientation...just advises against storing in a "closed bag."

I'll continue to keep mine in the stands for now...if they climb out and demand to be free, I'll consider that.

Just based on (my version of) common sense, it seems that hanging the brush will remove most of the moisture through gravity. After that, whatever's left is probably drawn out by capillary action whether it's hanging or sitting. In any case, I hang mine after a few good shakes and then if I use a different brush the next day, I sit the "old" one and hang the "new" one.

There might also be an effect on the bloom, too, based on gravity and orientation of the bristles...but that's probably minor.

+1

IMHO, gravity draws water out of the knot, thus allowing the knot to dry quicker.

About half the commenters on this blog believe drying bristles down is best while the other half believe bristles down is best. you'll have to decide for yourself which is preferable.

Top Bottom