What's new

Use a DE blade to sharpen pencils

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
284145617_5237637026275158_4245347483465788773_n.jpg

Razor blades can also sharpen pencils ?!
Yes, that's exactly the super power of a traditional razor; whether it's a double-edged blade (DE), a single-edged GEM blade, or a wedge blade...there are specially designed pencil sharpeners, proving that the previous People cherish resources.
The DE style pencil sharpener can use three-hole old type and new type double-sided blades. After 1930, many famous European brands have produced them, including FABER and STAEDTLER. The German army even put NOROLA products in map bags.
283079524_5237638522941675_8768029028356552720_n.jpg
.------
The UNICUM INCA in the photo is a Swiss product, and the bold brand words are very lovely, which is rarer than FABER. The overall use of alloy casting (should be zamak) + steel screws; the original green finish has been mottled, I simply wiped off to reveal the original metal color.
UNICUM INCA is different from other models in that the fixing screws of the cover are moved to the back - the concave space is used to make the appearance more neat; secondly, a small blade is deliberately exposed at the front end, which is convenient for cutting the thread head or cutting the hemp rope of the mail package.
There is a sleeve for thin pencils in front of the pen slot hole. Many old products will lose this part, so I help her make a new one; you must pay attention to a small thin tenon, which must be precise and firm. It can be stably snapped into the L-shaped fixed opening on the back.
284567649_5237572912948236_6935422713929468839_n.jpg

Although it is very old, the pencil sharpening is still smooth after changing the blade, the pencil sawdust in the photo is that it is made. This razor blade pencil sharpener is definitely an interesting collection of shaving history.

Attachments

• 284472754_5237637866275074_2099252899373709986_n.jpg
    284472754_5237637866275074_2099252899373709986_n.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 18
I wonder if they made any left handed pencil sharpeners. Or did the Germans force left handed kids to learn to write with their right hands?

ERS4

I wonder if they made any left handed pencil sharpeners. Or did the Germans force left handed kids to learn to write with their right hands?
I mentioned that this DE blade sharpener was made after 1930.
Pencil sharpeners were invented and popularized in the 18th and 19th centuries, and the world at that time was certainly not as concerned about the rights of left-handers as it is now; in addition, due to the scarcity of metal due to world wars, factories will also be more inclined to make products of the same specification.
Of course, you can still find some antique left-handed sharpeners, it just might have to take more time than modern ones.

There are many more antique pencil sharpening tools in the library below, many of which are designed in the form of a planer, so there is no problem with the left and right hands. ↓
Handheld Pencil Sharpeners - https://web.archive.org/web/20110718121544/http://www.officemuseum.com/sharpener_small.htm

The collection of antique pencil sharpeners here is also wonderful. Whether it’s for lefties or not, it’s exciting to see so many creative designs. ↓
www.Spitzmaschine.de - http://www.spitzmaschine.de/index.html

Last edited:
View attachment 1464067
Razor blades can also sharpen pencils ?!
Yes, that's exactly the super power of a traditional razor; whether it's a double-edged blade (DE), a single-edged GEM blade, or a wedge blade...there are specially designed pencil sharpeners, proving that the previous People cherish resources.
The DE style pencil sharpener can use three-hole old type and new type double-sided blades. After 1930, many famous European brands have produced them, including FABER and STAEDTLER. The German army even put NOROLA products in map bags.
View attachment 1464074.------
The UNICUM INCA in the photo is a Swiss product, and the bold brand words are very lovely, which is rarer than FABER. The overall use of alloy casting (should be zamak) + steel screws; the original green finish has been mottled, I simply wiped off to reveal the original metal color.
UNICUM INCA is different from other models in that the fixing screws of the cover are moved to the back - the concave space is used to make the appearance more neat; secondly, a small blade is deliberately exposed at the front end, which is convenient for cutting the thread head or cutting the hemp rope of the mail package.
There is a sleeve for thin pencils in front of the pen slot hole. Many old products will lose this part, so I help her make a new one; you must pay attention to a small thin tenon, which must be precise and firm. It can be stably snapped into the L-shaped fixed opening on the back.
View attachment 1464073

Although it is very old, the pencil sharpening is still smooth after changing the blade, the pencil sawdust in the photo is that it is made. This razor blade pencil sharpener is definitely an interesting collection of shaving history.
Thank you for sharing, really interesting. Looks like a great use for used blades.

PSAD? Now I want one. A Gem SE model would nestle nicely among my many vintage Gem and Ever-Ready razors.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of one of these from Henry Gaisman, while he ran either AutoStrop or Gillette.

ERS4

I'd love one. Does anyone sell them these days?
There is no brand that manufactures "DE Blade Pencil Sharpener" anymore.
But it is still possible to find them on ebay or antique stores. After all, it is a daily necessities of the past, so the production is very large and there are many people who own it.

ERS4

PSAD? Now I want one. A Gem SE model would nestle nicely among my many vintage Gem and Ever-Ready razors.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of one of these from Henry Gaisman, while he ran either AutoStrop or Gillette.
The "Mueller Little Shaver" comes with the original blade, but also fits a GEM blade nicely.
Its operation is closer to sharpening a pencil with a knife, and it definitely brings retro elegance to the study.

未命名.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There is an interesting write up on DE razor blade planes here:

ERS4

There is an interesting write up on DE razor blade planes here:

Thank you so much, this is great supplemental information, very precious..

I used to want to get some DE blade handy planers like these too, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a more recent product, and it's not easy to get in my area.
Fortunately, there are still some leather crafting or baking tools that still use DE blades in modern times.

By the way, I also love the silent film "Metropolis".

ERS4

Very cool! l wonder if someone with 3d printing skills could replicate this kind of pencil sharpener?
The structure is so simple that 3D printing should be feasible.
The process of sharpening the pencil is parallel to the direction of the wood grain, so the pressure on the blade is less than that in the process of shaving hair, just pay attention to the tolerance and shrinkage of the resin.

Top Bottom