What's new

USB microscope question…

Hi guys,

I’m going to teach myself to hone, and already have a couple of used razors and stones on the way.

Now I’m looking for an affordable USB microscope to see my progress and take photos. Will this scope be suitable for my purposes? It’s 2MP, affordable, and comes with a stand.

Thanks!

I would have thought so, yep.

Though you can get very cheap loupes that will probably tell you all you really need to know. I tend to use a loupe for edges cos it’s easy, and a similar usb scope just for looking at stones close up.

I would have thought so, yep.

Though you can get very cheap loupes that will probably tell you all you really need to know. I tend to use a loupe for edges cos it’s easy, and a similar usb scope just for looking at stones close up.
I've ordered a loupe as well. I'm planning on using the microscope to take photos to get advice on my edges.

Hi guys,

I’m going to teach myself to hone, and already have a couple of used razors and stones on the way.

Now I’m looking for an affordable USB microscope to see my progress and take photos. Will this scope be suitable for my purposes? It’s 2MP, affordable, and comes with a stand.

Thanks!
The linked microscope will probably cover what you describe as your use case. These budget scopes can benefit from a higher resolution. So if a 5 MP scope is available in your budget, it might be worth the extra cost.
It is important to understand the limits of what these microscopes can offer. They can be a really nice supplement when learning to hone, and as you said, to get constructive feedback on the work you have done.

Most of these scopes will not be able to tell you if your edge is going to shave well after a high grit finisher. However, they will let you know if you have done the ground work you need to do before you put the final finish on your edge.
They can also serve as a guide to see when all the striations at each grit level is gone, telling you to move to the next step.
The loupe can probably do most of this to. Even a bright overhead light can tell you allot about your edge that might be difficult to see under magnification.

Consider starting a journal thread where you share your experience. You will get allot of good feedback, and you will probably help someone else to starting out.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Should be okay. However, a microscope is more of a diagnostic tool. Or as you say, to take pics to share. It is not always the handiest way to see and interpret your bevel while honing. For that, a very strong magnifying glass is more useful, or else a good loupe. Quite possibly the very best loupe for the job that costs under $35 is the Belomo 10x Triplet loupe. I cannot sing its praises enough. It doesn't take pictures. It doesn't give you a 2000x view. You can't see a paramecium slither across the edge and slice itself in two. But it has a perfect focal length and reasonable depth and width of field and just gets the job done. There are also some dandy clamp-ons that fit over the camera lens of your phone, and some very cheap non USB hand held microscopes like the Carson that have a following.

So yeah, I would get that, or similar. But do get a good loupe. You will use it often. You will use the USB fairly often at first, then once in a long while.

There are cheaper loupes that compensate for their shortcomings with a built in LED. Meh. They are better than nothing, but I recommend the Belomo 10x Triplet. NOT the 20x. It is more of a near contact loupe and you don't want that, and the width of field is very small.

Check out this thread that I started when I was learning;

Should be okay. However, a microscope is more of a diagnostic tool. Or as you say, to take pics to share. It is not always the handiest way to see and interpret your bevel while honing. For that, a very strong magnifying glass is more useful, or else a good loupe. Quite possibly the very best loupe for the job that costs under $35 is the Belomo 10x Triplet loupe. I cannot sing its praises enough. It doesn't take pictures. It doesn't give you a 2000x view. You can't see a paramecium slither across the edge and slice itself in two. But it has a perfect focal length and reasonable depth and width of field and just gets the job done. There are also some dandy clamp-ons that fit over the camera lens of your phone, and some very cheap non USB hand held microscopes like the Carson that have a following.

So yeah, I would get that, or similar. But do get a good loupe. You will use it often. You will use the USB fairly often at first, then once in a long while.

There are cheaper loupes that compensate for their shortcomings with a built in LED. Meh. They are better than nothing, but I recommend the Belomo 10x Triplet. NOT the 20x. It is more of a near contact loupe and you don't want that, and the width of field is very small.
Thanks for the advice! I've done my due diligence on B&B and have already ordered the Belomo x10 Triplet. Just waiting for it to arrive from Belarus...

The linked microscope will probably cover what you describe as your use case. These budget scopes can benefit from a higher resolution. So if a 5 MP scope is available in your budget, it might be worth the extra cost.
It is important to understand the limits of what these microscopes can offer. They can be a really nice supplement when learning to hone, and as you said, to get constructive feedback on the work you have done.

Most of these scopes will not be able to tell you if your edge is going to shave well after a high grit finisher. However, they will let you know if you have done the ground work you need to do before you put the final finish on your edge.
They can also serve as a guide to see when all the striations at each grit level is gone, telling you to move to the next step.
The loupe can probably do most of this to. Even a bright overhead light can tell you allot about your edge that might be difficult to see under magnification.

Consider starting a journal thread where you share your experience. You will get allot of good feedback, and you will probably help someone else to starting out.
I've got an old Cadman Bengall coming in the mail. I'm planning to start a journal thread (just as you've described) on cleaning and honing it. I've got some Mother's Mag polish to clean it (and can pick up some sandpaper if required), then I'll use a Shapton Glass Stone progression to hone it. I'm still not sure whether to tape the spine or not (but Dr Matt on YT seems very pro tape).

I'm not keen to spend too much on a microscope, because I realise (and as @Slash McCoy has mentioned) it's probably not going to be used often. I just want something able to adequately visualise the edge and take photos. The aforementioned 2MP scope is cheap... it's quite a jump to the 5MP, and I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

Reactions: JPO
I have taught a number of guys to hone long distance with them taking USB photos of their work and in person with USB scopes and micrographs. It is an excellent way to learn, because we are both looking at the same razor and issues.

The hardest part of learning to hone is interpreting what you see. For what ever reason, there are folks on this and other fora that are anti-magnification, and claim they use little or no magnification, but they all know how to hone.

You don’t need a lot of magnification just a scope that will take clear photos at a decent magnification, you can get a good scope for under $100. I like the Dino-lite line. More megapixels are better, and a good stand is super important, because of the magnification. Stands like the one you linked are good, stay away from the jointed stands. USB prices are all over the map, shop around.

Cannot link other fora, but if you google, (Second Try at Honing) and (Learning Jnats with Microscope) you will see the potential of micrographs.

The first thread is a new honer, honing his second razor, from beater to super shaver. Learning Jnats is a new Jnat honer learning the mysteries of slurry and Jnats with pristine Jnat edges. Neither of these two honers could not have made their super quick progress with out the use of Micrographs.

If you do nothing else and make your edges look like the micrographs at the different stages of stone progression in the Second Try thread, you will learn a lot about honing.

The following two photos are the same razor, first before honing, other photo is after honing by the new honer, second razor he had honed.

151107124521580.jpg

151211191317216.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I've got an old Cadman Bengall coming in the mail. I'm planning to start a journal thread (just as you've described) on cleaning and honing it. I've got some Mother's Mag polish to clean it (and can pick up some sandpaper if required), then I'll use a Shapton Glass Stone progression to hone it. I'm still not sure whether to tape the spine or not (but Dr Matt on YT seems very pro tape).

I'm not keen to spend too much on a microscope, because I realise (and as @Slash McCoy has mentioned) it's probably not going to be used often. I just want something able to adequately visualise the edge and take photos. The aforementioned 2MP scope is cheap... it's quite a jump to the 5MP, and I'm not sure it's worth the investment.
I have known guys to secure their loupe to their phone cam with a rubber band. You might give it a try. (won't work with all loupes, I am thinking.) Also, a very bright work light will help a lot. The idea is to have one bright light source only, making a sharp reflection on the bevel. It really helps a lot. As you roll and tilt the razor under the light, you will find positions where flaws in the bevel or places along the edge where the bevel faces do not meet, will show up as spots or lines of reflection where there should be none.

Yes, and try positioning the light source differently, you will eventually find the sweet spot for the light, the razor and your eyes where it's much easier to spot defects. The place you're looking for is where light comes down from the light, reflects off of any defect and bounces back to your eye, but without the light source directly shining brightly into your eye. You want your pupil open wide for maximum sensitivity. A good bright lamp with a shade can help, or just a light source that is close but above you a decent ways.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Actually the after picture still looks, to me, like the plane of the bevel reveal does not reach the apex. If I saw this under my scope with my lighting I'd be staying on the stones.
I didn't want to be the guy to point that out, but yeah.

Still very much an improvement. The main thing, is it can be seen.

Remember though, that's under significant magnification. It would probably look ready for the finisher, under 10x loupe, or naked eye. Not bad for second attempt at honing.

Well, here is what the honer said about that edge, in this 7-year old post.

“I stropped and shaved this morning and it was great! Very close, no irritation, and not slashes to my face.
I'm very please at how this $20 blade was resurrected into a shavable razor”.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Top Bottom