What's new

US online retailers for the various Personna "Lab Blues" "Medi-Prep" "Israeli Blues" and "Israeli Reds"

The Japan Post stopped serving most countries that had any sort of COVID activity, so yes, it was almost certainly COVID related.

Pick your own Poison, there's no rule that you have to like any given blade... in fact I rather agree that Feathers are overrated, despite being one of the sharpest blades that isn't outright harsh.

Right now my favorite is the PPI/Gillette Platinum (blue/"Swede" packaging), those are $17/100 ($20 with shipping) from RBC and the other PPI/Gillette Platinum (blue/gray/white pack) is regularly available on ebay for $14/100 shipped.
Are these the Gillette platinum blades you mentioned?

Are these the Gillette platinum blades you mentioned?

Yep, that's the one. I have a thread on this blade vs. the "Swede" version... both excellent blades for me, with a slight edge to the blue packet variety, though it's so close that it may just be sample/batch variation (Though PPI is very consistent, I have 10 year old Astra SPs that shave exactly like ones purchased recently).

My favorite of the weird Personna things is this link: https://www.amazon.com/Personna-Double-Razor-Blades-Count/dp/B01F8YN9L4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=lab+blue+blades&qid=1607545627&sr=8-3&th=1
If you select the 100-count box, it's the German-made blades (same as Israeli, I think), but the 200-count is the USA Lab Blues. Personna is weird.

I'm not sure if you noticed it, but the Amazon link you provided for the 100 and 200 count boxes of Personna indicates two different sellers. For these 3rd party resellers, you can never tell where they're getting the picture from. The 250 count box is being shipped from a seller whose address is a private house while the 100 count box is being sold direct by Personna with the address given as their headquarters. Those review ratings on top of the page are meaningless because Amazon commingles every seller who has ever used that link (they re-use links and when the product is sold out it switches to a seller who has it in stock).
1608681785060.png

Here's the CamelCamelCamel price tracker for Amazon. I bought mine in July of 2019. I rechecked my invoice and the price was $40 even. I bought it with subscribe and save and that took off $2.02, but then there was tax so after tax it was $40.96. I still thought that was high at that time as that would basically be $20 for 100 blades and back then most of my blades were $7-$10 max for 100 blades. Look at the chart. What happened between summer of 2019 and the beginning of 2020 to warrant the price doubling? Covid 19 can't be the reason as that would mean everything would have doubled not just these blades.

So the question regarding Feather blades is why would they warrant this high a price? I get it if you could get 10-20 shaves off one blade, but I get maybe 3 before it starts tugging.

Your CamelCamelCamel link is for the 3rd party seller pricing on Amazon and they're all over the place. The problem with Amazon links is that if Amazon or even one of their 3rd party shlock resellers sells out of an item, that link converts over to another 3rd party reseller that has a price that may be 25% or more higher than Amazon's or the previous 3rd party reseller.
To compound the problem, the reviews are commingled and combine sellers, including Amazon's. Since Amazon doesn't require the reviewer to state the seller, you never know who sold the customer the item they're complaining about, or if it's in perfect condition, who the reputable seller is. Some way of doing business, huh?

Received these from Amazon last week. Any ideas on what these are or if they are a new variety to the mix?

Personna 1.jpg

Personna 2.jpg

Was expecting Lab Blues but pretty sure they are not those. Had a shave with one and it performed well, but it didn't remind me of the first shave I had with the laser etched one that was included with my Dart razor. I used this "Platinum Chrome" blade in my Fatip Lo Storto closed comb slant so maybe that's why my impression of it differed. We shall see after direct comparisons in the next coming weeks.

Received these from Amazon last week. Any ideas on what these are or if they are a new variety to the mix?

View attachment 1212914

View attachment 1212915

Was expecting Lab Blues but pretty sure they are not those. Had a shave with one and it performed well, but it didn't remind me of the first shave I had with the laser etched one that was included with my Dart razor. I used this "Platinum Chrome" blade in my Fatip Lo Storto closed comb slant so maybe that's why my impression of it differed. We shall see after direct comparisons in the next coming weeks.
Lab Blues currently come packaged like this:

1611514557199.png

They are made in Verona, VA by Accutec.

I think everybody gets confused by Personna blades.

Mine were bought on Amazon and the seller was Personna, not a third party. Are the "Platinum Chromes" a new blade or just a different name from one of the other types "Israeli Reds" (now German reds?)? I just want to know what I actually have.

Mine were bought on Amazon and the seller was Personna, not a third party. Are the "Platinum Chromes" a new blade or just a different name from one of the other types "Israeli Reds" (now German reds?)? I just want to know what I actually have.
Personna is just a brand name, not a company nor a vendor. Personna blades are made by either Edgewell or Accutec. Whatever you bought was made by Edgewell. They are not Lab Blues or Med Preps. If that is what you wanted, you got the wrong ones. We advised not to buy from Amazon, but you did not want to listen.

1611516248822.png

I bought 7 packs of Lab Blues from Maggards. I was ok with ordering from Amazon based on the info Shane from Blackland Razors provided in post #14 about the 100 count in his link being Israeli Reds or German Reds and the 200 count was the Lab Blues. I'm not complaining as I did get them for under $12 and the 200 count Personnas (now have to check if the packaging is the real deal Lab Blues) were around $23.

Personna is just a brand name, not a company nor a vendor. Personna blades are made by either Edgewell or Accutec. Whatever you bought was made by Edgewell. They are not Lab Blues or Med Preps. If that is what you wanted, you got the wrong ones. We advised not to buy from Amazon, but you did not want to listen.

View attachment 1212942

I'm not questioning you, but here is the seller info on that Amazon link where I bought my "Platinum Chromes". Seems these were sold direct from Personna/Edgewell no?

personna shaving address.jpg

Anyone know where to buy actual IP Reds (not the blue pack German-made Platinum blades) today?
This doesn't answer your question but I purchased some a while back on Amazon that were advertised as Israel Reds, arrived in red packaging, but had 'Made in Germany' on the box. I contacted the seller and he asked me to take a picture and send it to him. I did. Nothing came of it but just sharing. He did ask me if I wanted a refund but I said no. If it's any consolation the blades are actually fine, IMHO.

Edit: I've attached a photo. I notice now that the 'Israeli' claim (watermark) has been removed from the site. So, there's that.

IMG_0122.jpg

Last edited:
As a long time fan of Lab Blue and Med Prep blades, I wouldn't mind seeing Accutec start putting their name on those packages.
They are a respected brand in their own right.
It would help clear up a lot of confusion.

Anyone know where to buy actual IP Reds (not the blue pack German-made Platinum blades) today?
This is the Personna Platinum Chrome Israeli Red in UK packaging
Personna.jpg
-

This is the German made version

rsz_personna_platinum_packet_3.jpg

Here is a link to where I bought them 3 times this year and I always get the Israeli Reds that I like. I kinda stocked up as they aren't making them anymore and I find them exceptionally smooth

PIR

Top Bottom