What's new

Urge to accumulate has stopped... concerning?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don't want to sound ungrateful with this post. Also, I am saying I miss not looking for something a little bit as well.

One item I haven't dabbled in yet is straight razor and that is an option for me maybe.

In the mean time I am gonna enjoy the ride of knocking out some great regular shaves.

According to my wife the process takes too long, maybe I will try speed up some.

Maybe :)

KM
Definitely get a straight and learn to use it
During my first year of SR shaving, I was purchasing a new SR about every couple of weeks. This year I have settled down and have only purchased about a dozen.

Who knows what might happen next year. My current feeling 8s that I don't need any more SR's (except for a M7DS of NOS Filli 14's).
i haven’t bought another straight for over a year and only use a few of what I have. Unfortunately I can’t part with the ones I don’t use.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
i haven’t bought another straight for over a year and only use a few of what I have. Unfortunately I can’t part with the ones I don’t use.
I try and shave with each of my SR's at least once every couple of months. With good edge maintenance, they all shave equally very well, just differently.

I believe I'm getting close to not really wanting any new razors as well. The ones I have now that are in my regular rotation provide excellent drama free shaves. I have about 8 DE's I use regularly and love shaving with each one for various reasons. I have also found my favorite blades and have more than enough for a few years worth of shaves. I have settled on a couple of synthetic brushes and a couple of badgers and don't really have any desires for more.

Now the thing that gets me are soaps and aftershaves. Still trying to find that signature scent. I tend to really like a scent for a while then grow tired of it. I have a few that I really like, but haven't found "the one" just yet. I guess I'll just have to keep looking and trying...😁.

I don't want to sound ungrateful with this post. Also, I am saying I miss not looking for something a little bit as well.

One item I haven't dabbled in yet is straight razor and that is an option for me maybe.

In the mean time I am gonna enjoy the ride of knocking out some great regular shaves.

According to my wife the process takes too long, maybe I will try speed up some.

KM
Straight razor eh mmm now there's a thought!:devil:

I feel like I have acquired the razors that best fit me, both DE and SE. I found what I think is a nice brush rotation with badger, boar and syn represented. A purchase of 100 blades each of SE and my fav DE was done a few months back. I have learned which soap and splash works best, again for me. I will every few weeks grab the Arko stick but that is it. The only think I swap around is the scent before I walk out the bathroom.

The rush/need to find the next thing has been squashed to almost nonexistent. My shaves have been regularly great, no complaints.

Is this shave nirvana?
Does the need for something new come back?
Am I just done looking now that I found my "package"?

Now I say most of this all in jest but I find it odd I am not looking for a brush or razor or soap.

Thats all :)

Happy Holidays to this great board.

KM

It's just your common sense returning. :001_smile

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Will keep you in prayer. Fasting is a good and necessary spiritual exercise...but, it shouldn't be done all the time.

By the way, have you tried the new G5A synthetic knot from Germany that AP Shave Co. Is offering in their brushes? It's synthetic and yet is so much like badger...it's unreal!

Discuss ...

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Also, I am saying I miss not looking for something a little bit as well.
We are here to help.
I just ordered two new stones even though I haven't used my SR's in over a year.
Mine said the same thing. I grew a beard, hence one of the reasons I haven't used an SR in over a year. Just started shaving again, but only sporadically. She never complains how long I take shaving anymore.

Man I needed a shave

doug

Hi,

It isn't a cause for concern to me. It's the state everyone ought to attain after a while. Of course, what constitutes 'a while' will differ from person to person. :p

I hit my point in 2014. Now what I desire is few and far between. Just replenishment of consumables.

Stan

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Concerning? Well, a couple of vendors will probably go bust now, but if their hungry children don't bother you then we'll all have to try to live with it.

I'm set on my razor, blades, brushes, WH and moisturizer, but I manage to put a soap I haven't tried on my Christmas list each year. I purchased a new travel razor, brush and stick, so I haven't managed to absolutely kill my curiosity. But it doesn't surprise me if I don't get anything new until next year's Christmas gift.

You could be set for life, we're all a little different in our acquisition trends. I don't like to predict the future as my motto seems to be: if I want it, I buy it. Works for me.

KM
Hah the straight?
Now there’s another door into a labyrinth of its own.
One straight razor is definitely not enough, especially early on, you need at least two.
Welcome to the the world of steel.
But dialling in the perfect edge for your face is another doorway to another brand new Labyrinth.
Welcome to the world of stone.

When I settled on my favorite combination (Tradere OC with a Kai in it, Tabac, and a Wee Scot), I went about 7 years without buying anything new other than a single Tabac refill in the middle somewhere.

Cut to September 2021 and I happened to look at the shaving section of my local grocery store to see the King C Gillette lineup sitting there. On a whim I bought a pack of the blades just to try em out. When they turned out to be kinda great, I got the urge to try the razor out too. It turned out to be decent as well, but it just didn't feel right in the hand to me, which is when I decided/realized I no longer have any interest in razors that aren't machined stainless. This prompted me to put an order in to Fendrihan for their stainless Mk II razor, which confirmed to me that it needs to be machined stainless, not cast, or I'm not in favor. So now I have a RazoRock Game Changer .68 on the way.

ALSO starting in September, I decided to try out a few brands of blades I'd never tried before, and ordered a fresh 100 pack of my Kais as well as a 250 pack of Wizamet Super Iridiums on account of missing that brand. Along the way I threw in a couple Barrister & Mann soap samples, and based on praise on these forums picked up pucks of Stirling Varen and Canada Shaving Soap. Oh and with the Tabac formula change I picked up 4 new pucks of the original tallow.

And because my only brush for the last 6 years has been my Wee Scot (lost a B&B Essential boar brush in a fire), I got curious about other small brushes and wound up ordering both an Omega 10086 and a Maggard travel synthetic, both with 18mm knots.

Sooo.. oops. It came back. :001_rolle

I can already feel it waning again, though, so that's good. Might have a few things left to pick up, like maybe some other base plates for the Game Changer, and a modest stockpile of Canada Shaving Soap.

Top Bottom