What's new

Urban coyotes

We are dealing with them constantly in my subdivision. There have been numerous instances of them even jumping privacy fences to get to small dogs. A lady posted a video the other day from her ring doorbell camera of one coming on her porch and getting her cat. This was 2 houses down from me.

Thankfully, my dogs are 50 and 80 pounds, and not something a coyote will be likely to mess with. I just wish the stupid city laws didn't forbid shooting within the city limits or I'd offer free services to the folks in my area.

Neighbor's cat probably killed a few birds. Now the coyote eliminated the kitty. You could import something like a big bobcat to keep the neighborhood coyote free, but then you would have to worry about a bigger predator.

I live on a quarter acre,lots of old trees, SE Denver near the Highline Canal. Lots of wildlife, especially in the old Fairmount Cemetery nearby. The coyotes have displaced the foxes and are feasting on the rabbits and the occasional cat and small dog. In my quiet neighborhood, we are all cognizant and weary of the coyotes as our pets can be easy victims. So far the last couple of years, the coyotes have remained on our neighborhood perimeters. My cat Louie, appreciates this. He's tough, but no match for an adult, hungry coyote.
20180530_082931.jpg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am in far North Carrollton so maybe 15 minutes from Frisco. I have not seen a Coyote one. Bobcats now that's a different story.

I like the way Texas Parks and Wildlife has their hunting laws on Coyotes. "A hunting license is required for Coyotes unless they are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl."

If the Coyote is attacking you and you do not have a hunting license....you are SOL my friend. :lol:

I live in Toronto. Pretty close to downtown and I’ve seen a bunch over the years. Mostly in parks near my place but I have seen one out of the parks.

I had a pregnant one on my lawn a week ago last Saturday. She ate two mice (one of them pregnant itself) that I had set on a stone after trapping them, then left me a neat orange package on her way out, having clearly dined on pumpkin or squash. I haven't heard the pups yet....they should be wailing with along to sirens within a couple more weeks.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I live on a quarter acre,lots of old trees, SE Denver near the Highline Canal. Lots of wildlife, especially in the old Fairmount Cemetery nearby. The coyotes have displaced the foxes and are feasting on the rabbits and the occasional cat and small dog. In my quiet neighborhood, we are all cognizant and weary of the coyotes as our pets can be easy victims. So far the last couple of years, the coyotes have remained on our neighborhood perimeters. My cat Louie, appreciates this. He's tough, but no match for an adult, hungry coyote.View attachment 976927

Bonus points to Louie; got him a fine House-Eater there!

Please keep him indoors after dark.

AA

Bonus points to Louie; got him a fine House-Eater there!

Please keep him indoors after dark.

AA

I have been transitioning him to mostly indoors the last few months as there's this angry bully cat causing havoc in the hood. Louie has tustled with him and Louie is too good a cat to be injured. I've known Louie since he was ten weeks young and the neighbors let him come and go through their dog door. Louie came to live with me, his choice, 3.5 years ago. Louie is smart and strong but this bully cat who came to the hood last year is... mean. The owner hasn't responded to other cat owners whose cats he has viciously attacked. There's a Have a Heart trap waiting for this bully cat to enter into. Release in the mountains will be his karma. Let the bully cat defend himself against Bobcats and Mountain Lions. Louie, lately,
20180528_093238.jpg
has only been let out for a few hours, a couple times a week during the day when I'm working outside. I am concerned for his health and safety... and I sense he knows it. Louie is a really good boy!

I am in far North Carrollton so maybe 15 minutes from Frisco. I have not seen a Coyote one. Bobcats now that's a different story.

I like the way Texas Parks and Wildlife has their hunting laws on Coyotes. "A hunting license is required for Coyotes unless they are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl."

If the Coyote is attacking you and you do not have a hunting license....you are SOL my friend. :lol:
Oh, I don't know...most of my family thinks I'm a domestic animal, and I bet I could make a case for that in court.

Yes. They are a problem in Metro Denver. They follow the deer along the Highline canal. I heard them last week.
They are not Lassie!
I’m not the least bit fond of them.
Good luck! Be smart!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
We have three distinct species of Urban Coyote down here. One of the species can be identified based on it having four legs most often. Of the other two one is for SHOW while the other is for GO.

Unless you catch then by surprise. :biggrin1:

Around here they are shot on sight. I've never heard of them attacking a human in this area, but they will kill baby calves and small pets any chance they get. Not to mention what they do to baby deer and wildlife birds, baby chicks, and nests. Most ranchers carry a rifle in their truck for the express purpose of dispatching coyotes and wild hogs.
Domestic cats kill more birds etc than coyotes, but then just try to cull the cat herd.

When I lived in NE Calgary, Alberta there was an interchange that supported a coyote and his family. I was lucky enough to see him one day "barking" at traffic. Apparently he'd do this until there was no traffic and then he'd cross.

I live on a quarter acre,lots of old trees, SE Denver near the Highline Canal. Lots of wildlife, especially in the old Fairmount Cemetery nearby. The coyotes have displaced the foxes and are feasting on the rabbits and the occasional cat and small dog. In my quiet neighborhood, we are all cognizant and weary of the coyotes as our pets can be easy victims. So far the last couple of years, the coyotes have remained on our neighborhood perimeters. My cat Louie, appreciates this. He's tough, but no match for an adult, hungry coyote.View attachment 976927

You live both of me.
I hear them regularly at Bible park.

Unless you catch then by surprise. :biggrin1:

Around here they are shot on sight. I've never heard of them attacking a human in this area, but they will kill baby calves and small pets any chance they get. Not to mention what they do to baby deer and wildlife birds, baby chicks, and nests. Most ranchers carry a rifle in their truck for the express purpose of dispatching coyotes and wild hogs.

I was one of them.
We didn’t shoot them on sight because they controlled prairie dogs, mink, and field mice. But the need to be controlled. I have observed them watching me or follow me while working on the ranch.

Winchester .308 controls coyotes.

Top Bottom