What's new

Urban coyotes

They are very intelligent creatures.
Yes, but trapping them is not too difficult. Doing it where everyone owns dogs is difficult. Too many folks just let the dogs out and expect them to stay in the yard. Coyote sets are like magnets to the generic ankle biter.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, but trapping them is not too difficult. Doing it where everyone owns dogs is difficult. Too many folks just let the dogs out and expect them to stay in the yard. Coyote sets are like magnets to the generic ankle biter.
Ha ha! Generic ankle biter! I'll try to work that into a conversation.

I live in Columbus, OH and we've got urban coyotes here. Like others have said, they take their toll on the cat and dog population.
Not to mention that one wrecked my last car. 3 years ago, I was driving home from work at 3am and one came out of nowhere and ran in front on me. I couldnt miss it and it tore up my car pretty badly.

In areas where the wolf population is booming, the dominant specie drives the coyote further toward human population as they try to avoid the wolves. Overpopulation of coyote can cause the same effect. The same exact phenomenon occurred when everyone started seeing so many red fox. It was just the fox avoiding the coyote population many years ago.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
We definitely get coyotes but see more two than four legged. Also javelina and deer and armadillo. A change from my last location where alligators were the neighbors.

Second hand information here but I was told today that the coyotes and wild dogs are starting to run in packs in the Tucson area... and they are getting more aggressive and harder to spook.

Second hand information here but I was told today that the coyotes and wild dogs are starting to run in packs in the Tucson area... and they are getting more aggressive and harder to spook.

This is very bad. Wild dogs tend to have little or no fear of humans. Dogs and coyotes will interbred. When that started showing up around here, oh, maybe forty-five or so years ago, we were told they were bad news. Whether they are really that bad, I can't say.

I can say a pack is always bad news. Dogs will do in a pack what they won't do individually, and even two can "sic" each other on something they normally wouldn't tackle. Even perfectly domesticated dogs can run in packs when their owners are out. Unfortunately, know of some tragedies, and decades ago local farmers had a hard time with packs of wild dogs getting into livestock.

FarmerTan

This is very bad. Wild dogs tend to have little or no fear of humans. Dogs and coyotes will interbred. When that started showing up around here, oh, maybe forty-five or so years ago, we were told they were bad news. Whether they are really that bad, I can't say.

I can say a pack is always bad news. Dogs will do in a pack what they won't do individually, and even two can "sic" each other on something they normally wouldn't tackle. Even perfectly domesticated dogs can run in packs when their owners are out. Unfortunately, know of some tragedies, and decades ago local farmers had a hard time with packs of wild dogs getting into livestock.
Had dog packs real bad here about 50 years ago. Was told the guys around here just kept shooting them on sight. Lots more little kids back then; larger families.

As to pets: a few years back we had some strange dogs show up, with collars. Started trying to kill my chickens, as well as the neighbors. Finally ran them off with no shots fired. Never saw em again.

FarmerTan

Killing chickens is bad, but it's really bad when they start trying to kill the neighbors. :001_rolle
Amen. I live a mile from our little town the way the crow flies. About 15 years ago our son came in from his swing set saying he saw some dogs by the barn. Looked out the window: coyotes. They were gone before I got the 22. Not long after I was snow blowing at around 11pm (yes, my nabors are as weird as me) and a coyote was watching me from my neighbors front yard, not 20 feet from the end of my driveway. Almost hated to turn my back on it.

They really are beautiful creatures, but I would have no qualms about shooting them.

Growing up on the Farm I was taught to shoot every Coyote I saw. I tagged one during deer season 500 yards behind the house in the soybean field with a 7mm Remington 500 Rifle . That 150 Nosler bullet blew him up.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Seems like 'yotes attacking pets is a bit on the rise in many urban areas:

Small dogs no match for coyotes in metro Detroit, attacks on the rise

Coyote attempts to take second dog in Sioux Falls

Pet owners call for caution after coyote attacks

I haven't seen any in the pasture during the day in a few months, but it's getting that time of year. I do hear them every night. The .30-30 is leaning in a corner handy.

The smallest dog I've had out here has been a Husky. I also had a couple of Black Mouth Curs and they didn't have a bit of a problem with coyotes...they'd go after them. :biggrin1:

Black Mouth Curs are neat, but can be a pain. I think I might get another one since I don't have a dog right now. An Old Yeller type dog.

proxy.php

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I haven't seen any in the pasture during the day in a few months, but it's getting that time of year. I do hear them every night. The .30-30 is leaning in a corner handy.

The smallest dog I've had out here has been a Husky. I also had a couple of Black Mouth Curs and they didn't have a bit of a problem with coyotes...they'd go after them. :biggrin1:

Black Mouth Curs are neat, but can be a pain. I think I might get another one since I don't have a dog right now. An Old Yeller type dog.

proxy.php
That is a beautiful dog.

proxy.php

He looks like a dog we had when I was a preschooler. He was a good old dog.

The black mouth reminds me of local lore: the blacker a dog's mouth, the meaner the dog.

the patrol car that was trying to get in the trash can
The patrol car was trying to get in the trash can? :001_smile

Sorry, I couldn't resist....

I'm in a small city in Michigan, and I see coyotes in the middle of town once or twice a year. One committed hari kari on the front of my car on I-70 just outside of Frisco, CO a few years ago; took out the bumper, radiator, and intercooler, and spread himself out over about 40 yards of road. I'd have taken the pelt if there'd been anything salvageable.

About 25 years ago there was a morning rush-hour traffic jam in the middle of Detroit because a few deer were running around on I-75. I'd had no clue they were that adaptable.

Top Bottom