What's new

Upside Down Baseplate Appreciation Thread

Another gorgeous eBay upside down rarity...

(And yes, I bought it!)

20210808_185714.jpg

20210808_185652.jpg

Seeing this made me curious. I have some red....stuff between the teeth on my NEW LC and I remember cleaning some out of the crevices around the ball end. Does anyone know what that red stuff is? Wax to preserve the finish while shipping or something?

I'd put the base on backwards but I'm too lazy lol.

View attachment 800631
I think a lot of the gold plated razors had a laquer to protect the thin plating that went red with a little age. I suspect thats what you cleaned off. I did the same to a nice ball end tech once

If vintage isn't your game you can get a brand new clone from china.
It really cracks me up when it's a professional picture from a marketing department promoting the razor. I'll cut a guy slack on ebay who has probably never used a classic DE before, I get it. But this stuff?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think a lot of the gold plated razors had a laquer to protect the thin plating that went red with a little age. I suspect thats what you cleaned off. I did the same to a nice ball end tech once

Thats what it was, the original varnish. It didnt get cleaned off.

You all seem to know a lot about razor assembly and such. I’ve been having problems with my Leaf razor. Can’t seem to get a good shave, and I get lots of nicks and weepers. Anyone else having this problem?

Attachments

• 1C70F312-0D92-474A-A107-AEC85FAD3617.jpeg
    1C70F312-0D92-474A-A107-AEC85FAD3617.jpeg
    778.6 KB · Views: 45
Maybe I should trade on my troublesome Leaf for this extremely rare beauty; a Made in England Gillette Reverse Plate travel Razor:

Attachments

• ECE41A8E-2044-45FF-8C1A-38D1BF787B58.jpeg
    ECE41A8E-2044-45FF-8C1A-38D1BF787B58.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 13
There's an UDBP Old Type (on the online auction site) sandwiching a cardboard spacer that's included as if it's necessary for the razor to function.
Nevertheless, it's a startlingly good condition Old, with (unless they hid it) an uncracked ball-end handle and only the slightest bend to an outer tooth.
Clearly, they don't know what they have ("vintage safety razor gold tone") but I'd love to see someone give it a quick clean and put it together correctly!

Attachments

• udbp_old.jpg
    udbp_old.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 12
There’s a lot for auction now that includes a very rare Gillette prewar fat handled upside down baseplate. I was tempted to bid, but I already have 3 techs, and one of them is a very similar post war fat handled reversed baseplate. I mean really, how many upside down baseplate razors do I need to own?

Top Bottom