What's new

Upside Down Baseplate Appreciation Thread

Latest fashion is Upside Tech.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg

For those shavers riding the NYC subway system, take note of the jet.com ad. As I usually try to be invisible on the subway, I had to do a double take on this one. How did this one get by?
upload_2018-11-6_12-12-1.jpeg

an upside-down baseplate in a professional advertisement? That's impressive.
What I find shocking is that jet is owned by Walmart. These ads are all over the subway system and on the PATH trains. I cringe every time I see them.

X2 Tech in Wrong Case_6822.JPG
When I bought this X2 Tech (in a SuperSpeed case) in a thrift shop a few days ago, I saw that it was loaded with a Gillette Blue Blade.
I demonstrated to the cashier how you could flip the base plate, and that would protect everything from the blade edges. She said "Oh yes, my grandfather would always do the same thing."
I take that as a confirmation of my theory that most photos of upside-down base plates are that way because that's how the original owner left them.

When I bought this X2 Tech (in a SuperSpeed case) in a thrift shop a few days ago, I saw that it was loaded with a Gillette Blue Blade.
I demonstrated to the cashier how you could flip the base plate, and that would protect everything from the blade edges. She said "Oh yes, my grandfather would always do the same thing."
I take that as a confirmation of my theory that most photos of upside-down base plates are that way because that's how the original owner left them.

This is quite fascinating and your theory does make sense. I didn't think of the upside down method before as of people keeping their blade safe at home.

This is quite fascinating and your theory does make sense. I didn't think of the upside down method before as of people keeping their blade safe at home.
It really only works for some three-piece razors. Techs, LC NEW, and Goodwill are okay. I don't know about the SC New.
Gillette Old - not at all.
RazoRock Old Type - sorta, but it would probably damage the edge if you torque it down tight enough to stop it from spinning. Fendrihan Mk I head - same result as RR Old Type.

It really only works for some three-piece razors. Techs, LC NEW, and Goodwill are okay. I don't know about the SC New.
Gillette Old - not at all.
RazoRock Old Type - sorta, but it would probably damage the edge if you torque it down tight enough to stop it from spinning. Fendrihan Mk I head - same result as RR Old Type.

These pictures found just today, do support your theory.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg

Top Bottom