What's new

UPS brokerage fee

when UPS brings a package from USA to Canada
if the value is less than $20can does UPS still charge a broker fee?

Malheuresement...Ca dépende.... Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. Sometimes, they even send you an invoice a month after the fact, with a note that "you have been the lucky winner of a random audit thing, and they want MORE money"

I hate UPS. They are horrible. the WORST company ever. I regularly buy pens, watches and other goodies from the states and elsewhere. If they ship by UPS, I refuse to buy.

In case I wasn't clear - UPS sucks hugely. In fact, the vast sucking sound that Ross Perot referred to a decade or so ago, was actually UPS.

They are the hoover upright of transportation companies - in their suckiness, I mean.

:smile:

Just so I am understanding you correctly? You don't like UPS? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(They are expensive compared to USPS)
Sue

Regular post never gets the same attention as a courier - partly because the courier companies always send the stuff through their clearance broker so they can extract a brokerage fee (now I could be jumping to conclusions here but I be UPS have UPS Brokerage do theirs) - which is typically magnitudes higher than the regular mail charge for brokerage.

Case in point - I ordered 2 pairs of trousers from the US - total cost including shipping to me $90 - the assessed value according to the broker = $200 so duty and tax on double the initial cost and then a hefty brokerage fee on top. Even if you can reclaim the fees from the customs (I claimed the over payment) there is no way to reclaim the spurious brokers' fee.

I ordered 2 more pairs - delivered by USPS - cost inclusive of shipping to me $90 - arrived covered in stickers saying "fees to pay" etc but thanks to the efficiency of the post office - not on his sheet to collect, so no money taken. Even if there had been the fees were 25% of the fees assessed by the broker.

Net I will never use any company that ships to me via UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc. and that's before I get on to the way their delivery drivers will do anything but deliver as addressed - leading me on trails of up to 160 miles round trip to get the stuff.

when UPS brings a package from USA to Canada
if the value is less than $20can does UPS still charge a broker fee?

It all depends on if the item is manufactured in a NAFTA region. If so and under $200 dollars the only fees should be shipping and the GST/VAT that the Canadian government charges. If the product is manufactured in a Non-NAFTA region lets say China were as we all know a lot of product is produced. Then an additional duty will be applied. A good portion of the problem is brought on by the shipper not classifying the product correctly and not declaring the value. Which then leaves you at the mercy of the clearing agent. I do not work for UPS but have shipped product to and from Canada for many years. All shipping companies have +'s and -'s.

I hate UPS. They are horrible. the WORST company ever. I regularly buy pens, watches and other goodies from the states and elsewhere. If they ship by UPS, I refuse to buy.

In case I wasn't clear - UPS sucks hugely. In fact, the vast sucking sound that Ross Perot referred to a decade or so ago, was actually UPS.

They are the hoover upright of transportation companies - in their suckiness, I mean.

My thoughts exactly! :smile:
If it is declared under $20 you will not have any fees to pay.

Don't know about these brokerage fees, but the worse thing in my mind about UPS is they purposely 'throttle' your package or hold it in limbo until their magic delivery date. With FedEx I've noticed if the package arrives ahead of schedule it goes out for delivery early. Nice service.

The suckiness that is UPS (Guess what the "S" stands for) is truly magnificent in the vacuum provided by their suck. :biggrin:

I find USPS very good. Quick, prompt and generally mega-cheap - the post office in canada is usually pretty good too. (As compared to the Dyson Vacuum cleaner of couriers - UPS)

hee hee... I really am getting into this...They could suck a watermelon through a garden hose.... Suck-start a Harley... :confused:

O Sue, thou are perspicacious - I truly loathe UPS... They epically fail every time... I have a friend in Val-des-Monts (small town just across from me). He spits every time he sees an UPS truck, and does the evil eye. I once caught UPS in an huge lie, and they didn't even have the graciousness to apologise.

Doug

Perhaps one of the experts here can tell me how UPS has become the largest package delivery company in the world?
But not the largest in every country. Not even the largest in Europe. Fedex is a larger company through its subsidiaries such as Ginkos ...

Hmmm Growth by lying to customers, and forcing them to drive to the UPS warehouse to pick up their packages? :eek:

Besides... Fedex dont suck so much.:w00t:

If you look at their annual reports, UPS seem to be levelling off on growth when compared to sector competitors. (Hard to be sure, reading SEC reports is an arcane art)

Let's face it - "When something brown shows up on my doorstep - it is either UPS or excrement - in any case, they both stink"

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case, I have NEVER had any other courier or delivery company actually lie to my face. In my case they dropped off a note saying they had attempted to deliver the previous day. Unfortunately for them, I was gardening out front of my house the entire day. Oops for them. When I called them on it, they didnt even have the grace to apologise. They switched to "o well, there was an accident with the truck" When I said I would check the police reports for my neighborhood, they switched to "maybe you were in the washroom"... and finally confessed that he hadnt even had the package on his truck.

Unbelieveable. and indefensible.

Yeah - "go UPS" :bored:

Next time, don't embarrass yourself in public forums, do your research before you put your foot in your mouth:

Market Capitalization::

UPS = $66.54 Billion
FDX = $27.22

:biggrin::biggrin:

Antonio you wouldn't be a UPS employee would you?

Would be my guess...

Like I said in my post "hard to be sure" Not my area of expertise - obviously yours though - I asked a broker friend of mine - he provided the information - (me - I never trust the internet for research) I will be happy to let him know he was wrong. thanks SO Much for the information.... My foot isn't in my mouth...

Like I said I cannot speak for anyone else - but these are my experiences... Sorry you disagree... If you are an employee of UPS - can you maybe let us know some addresses and phone numbers where we can complain?

Alternatively, look up "UPS brokerage fee lawsuit" and have a great read!... Yep - FedEX and brokerage fee lawsuit also turns up results - again IN MY EXPERIENCE, getting into FedEx and avoiding fees is a lot easier than UPS.

UPS is still a-suckin' in my books... Yep -

So, Antonio.... Some rational comments? Perhaps some of your experiences? Some advice for us all? Some pointers? help us out here.... Be humourful! be creative, use analogies. Anecdotes are welcome - the funnier the better! Have fun with it... we are....

UPS for general delivery in your own country is fine. My beef and all Canadians beefs are their ridiculous brokerage charges on items coming from the States to Canada!
I wish their were laws in place so companys like UPS can't bend people over like this. Maybe our UPS employee member has some more info on this or maybe he is too busy holding the lube..............................:wink:

UPS for general delivery in your own country is fine. My beef and all Canadians beefs are their ridiculous brokerage charges on items coming from the States to Canada!
I wish their were laws in place so companys like UPS can't bend people over like this. Maybe our UPS employee member has some more info on this or maybe he is too busy holding the lube..............................:wink:

JEEEEEZ, Handy - I spit out my tea...:w00t:

My beef and all Canadians beefs are their ridiculous brokerage charges on items coming from the States to Canada

+lots and not restricted to Canada.

I liked the "good old days" when they sent you a postcard to say we have a package ref:XYZ, you took (or sent - free post) ref XYZ to the customs they assessed it, you paid them direct and sent the proof of payment to the courier... who then (get this - it's radical) delivered the package to the right address.

Now "for my convenience" they send it to a broker who typically wrongly assesses it, charges me GBP20/USD40 for the privilege and then fail to even try to deliver 3 times leaving me to drive 160 mile round trip to their depot and be raped for the charges.

At least when the mailman doesn't deliver I can walk to the depot and get it...

Top Bottom