What's new

Upright Bike Program

Whatever you get, you need some type of program to keep you motivated so you just don't go thru the motions.

Running with this thought from Toyman in my thread about spin bikes, I see this is where my mind needs to be right now. I have a magnetic resistance upright bike and need a program or train of thought to get to where I need to be, just fit with no competitive dream. Starting from scratch I am trying to get consistently fit. I suffer from degenerate disk in my upper back, and RA. Finding it very hard to get started in the morning going to the bike after some form of intake seems to be a good place to start. As Toyman says a program is needed, but there is so much out there. I rode this morning and find right now maybe intervals are best or all I can do. I am open to any trains of thought, but the simpler the better.

The best place to start is to just ride at a good effort you can hold for 15-20 minutes. If you have a heart rate monitor 75-80% of max HR, not pushing it too hard until your muscles get used to the exercise about a month. Once your done that it all depends on your goals. A couple easy plans (not complicated) is either sweet spot training, 90% max intervals. Or keep doing the 75-80 % work out and throwing in some 2 minute all out efforts every 5 minutes.

Thanks, it is certainly been challenging with the weather in the seasonal change. One of my session preceded a arthritic flare up and that lowed me down. It affected my knees so I switched to a yoga for abs video until the flare is gone. I will hit the bike tomorrow. I like your information because it is exactly where I am at, but I thought my efforts should be more so it is good to see I am setting a good pace.

Your muscles need to get used to the new exercise. I always tell anyone starting out in cycling to just go out and ride for the first month or two. Doing intervals are not that fun and people usually get injured or quit if they start doing them to soon. Try keeping your cadence above 90 to help with your knees. Are you planning on riding outside as well?

90 will certainly be a target to shoot for. I have always been challenged with keeping higher cadence recommended for training. Yes, I do plan on getting out some, but only for recreation. All I have now is the mountain bike. I have been looking at area trails that arch my ability and always take part in any Virginia Creeper rides that may come my way. Also want to hit the green ways in Knoxville.

When everyone starts out there cadence is low. When I first purchased a computer with cadence my average for any ride was around 85 and that was with me trying keep it high. Now for a recreational ride it's 90-95 and 100-105 for time trials or fast pace rides. Try spinning as fast as you can without bouncing. This will help you smooth out your pedal stroke and get you used to higher cadence.

Top Bottom