What's new

Upper lip ATG?

I've been using at 37c for a couple of years and get a respectable 3 pass shave. My upper lip is always a bit nerve wracking when going ATG, though. Do you go ATG in that spot? Think a Timeless .95 will be efficient enough to avoid that pass and still get a good shave?

I do the ATG on my upper lip with the Timeless .95 and have experienced no problems. It's just very well-hydrated, and no pressure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

A dual comb razor head with a milder side can be very useful going ATG on the upper lip. Especially in trying to shave those whiskers tucked up underneath at the base of the nose

Yes, the idea is to knock down most of the whisker length with two XTG passes first, then gently ATG at a shallow blade angle. It helps to have a razor that holds the blade very rigidly. You can also switch to a mild razor such as a Tech or SLOC just for the muzzle area. Skin stretching can also help a lot.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
This greatly depends on the character of one's beard. Sharpest blade and skin stretching helps me, but many days I forgo the drama of the Fool's Pass and make due with two slightly different direction WTG and two opposing ATG passes.

Hi,

I always do WTG, nose to lip, then ATG, lip to nose, with any DE or SE razor I have. No problem at all. My usual is WTG everywhere and then ATG in a few spots. And, the upper lip is one of those spots.

Stan

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Not for me. WTG, XTG, opposite XTG does a pretty good job for me.
I do a final sort of half ATG half XTG final pass on my upper lip, with a bit of buffing, and that gives me a BBS finish. A direct ATG carries too much risk of blood loss for me.
Yes, the idea is to knock down most of the whisker length with two XTG passes first, then gently ATG at a shallow blade angle. It helps to have a razor that holds the blade very rigidly. You can also switch to a mild razor such as a Tech or SLOC just for the muzzle area. Skin stretching can also help a lot.
For me two XTG passes in opposite directions works better than trying to go ATG on my upper lip!

Like the esteemed gentlemen above, I never do the "Fool's Pass".

XTG followed by diagonally XTG/ATG from the center of my top lip out.

A pure ATG between my top lip and nose is a recipe for blood, irritation and pain.

Been thinking about trying a Shavette on that area. :)

I do the fools pass on my upper lip with any razor I use but then the whiskers on my upper lip are very thin and sparse which helps with the smoothness. I've never had an issue going atg on the upper lip, not the first one.

On my neck, however, is a different story. The whiskers there are very thick, coarse, they grow in different directions, and lay flat to the skin. There, I've found that razors which hold the blade very rigid are superior to those that don't. Some examples include the Ti or SS Timeless, Karve, Fatip Piccolo, and Gillette NEW SC, all of which I've used. Take a look at a side angle picture of one of those razors and notice how close the top cap and base plate clamp down to the cutting edge of the blade.

IMG_20200430_110217.jpg

I've found that the more rigid blade makes the shave smoother on my trouble spots and I'm much less likely to get blade skipping or chatter.

Last time I tried ATG on my upper lip, I cut my lip. Never again.
*touches wood before posting this*
To date I have only cut my lip once and that was with a cartridge razor, which slipped during use, and my lip did not stop bleeding for almost an hour. Never again!

I’m quite fortunate in that my lip is sufficiently smooth with a WTG and XTG pass.

I remember my father used to go over his upper lip area with an electric shaver after a wet shave. He used cartridges.

Top Bottom