What's new

Upgrading to an adjustable razor

I can tell you about the 4 adjustables I own so…

The Emperor is a solid razor. It’s heavy and seems well built but it’s my least favorite of my group.

I have 2 vintage Gillettes. The Black Beauty, it’s similar to the Slim with a longer handle. It’s a very good razor. I have a 1960 Fatboy as well, this is an outstanding razor.

Oddly however the Merkur Progress (even with they silly tip on the handle) is my favorite of the 4. It took a few shaves to find my sweet spot and perfect blade for it (as with the others) but set a 4 with an Astra SP or German Wilky, the save is perfect.

As for adjusting “on the fly”. I can’t recommend that no matter which razor you choose. Start low and adjust up each time you shave until you find the sweet spot. The closeness my be lacking (or not) for the first few shaves but it worth it in the long term.

Im looking at Merkur Progress or Parker Varient - seen a dozen youtube clips and its still virtually 50-50 split.

Rex Embassador from what i read is a good razor but not $300 good !!

Didn't know about the Pearl Flexi. Pity there are not alot of S/S adjustable to choose from ?

Im looking at Merkur Progress or Parker Varient - seen a dozen youtube clips and its still virtually 50-50 split.

Rex Embassador from what i read is a good razor but not $300 good !!

Didn't know about the Pearl Flexi. Pity there are not alot of S/S adjustable to choose from ?
I’m a bite curious about the Parker my self. Just looking at pictures it looks like a replica of the Progress but with out the ugly tip. Never got around to trying one since at this point 25 or so DE razors, 6 straights and a few odd single edges are about 30 more razors that I need but would love to know how the 2 compare.

As for the Rex, if I’m spending $300 one it then it better wheel in a barber chair and shave me it’s self. But it looks cool.

I’m not exactly sure why adjustables aren’t a bigger thing. Personally I think once one learns how to properly shave, a good slat bar and a adjustable are a complete arsenal. You know hence the 30+ razors.

I have owned a few, vintage Gillettes, Mergress, Rex, and a Tatara. General thoughts...

The Gillettes were good but difficult to use in the upper lip area. Often got a nick there. The butterfly doors sometimes develop issues. Cleaning can be a chore.

Mergress, quality, good performer but again difficult to use in the upper lip area. Generally one of the better options.

Rex, decent shave but something just a bit off in the shave. Also experienced rusting of the cap. Disappointed. Not worth the money.

Tatara is one of the best in my opinion. Efficient and comfortable. Quality construction and elegant design. The best of what I tried by far.

IMHO.. The pearl is the better Rex. Its smoother and more comfortable.
I have both, and would agree except...

The Konsul. Smoother than Rex, at least equal to the Flexi, but more efficient on my neck (general problem area). Obviously, YMMV.

Worse yet, I was recently able to acquire a Taiga on the secondary market. Beats Rex, Flexi & Konsul in spades, and Gillette doesn't even make the running. All are very good, but the Taiga is efficient, gentle, and handles well.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
FWIW - I started shaving circa 1962 with my Gramp's Fat Boy .. went to college with a Schick Injector, then they sent us carts in the mail so .. didn't use an adjustable again until late 2009. I've owned and used in order of the razor's ages a Toggle, a Fat Boy, a Slim, a couple Black Beauties of both lengths, a Progress followed by a Mergress, a Futur, a Pearl & a Tatara Muramasa .. and probably something I forget. The thing is, each & every one of the ones I've held onto is set on the setting I like .. so they are all expensive fixed blade tools. Just a consideration, but there is extra expense in an adjustable that once you have figured out your sweet spot is wasted ..

I don't have either of these razors, but I get the impression that you're right. I believe they're both brass razors, which is good and explains their heft, but there are complaints on Amazon of blade warping. Vikings has claimed that this is not a bug, but a feature, but many (including myself) remain skeptical (which is why I don't have either of these razors; I think the most recent version of the Crusader has done away with this "feature"). I also wish they wouldn't engrave their logo on the head, I just don't like it. But I do believe these to be decent razors on paper, if maybe not the most popular around here.
My Crusader does not bow the blade

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Try out a vintage '60s Gillette Slim Adjustable and you can thank us later.
This. If you're in the market for an adjustable this will provide a fine razor that you can sell down the road if you fall out of love.

I have a couple of fine adjustable razors but no longer use them. But that doesn't mean you won't.

I recently got the Merkur Progress and it is a fantastic performer. Any blade I use I always find the perfect setting to get the right bite. Don't think I need another one.

Try out a vintage '60s Gillette Slim Adjustable and you can thank us later.

I have a newly acquired E2 1959 FatBoy, and just enjoyed my first shave with this beauty.
First pass WTG and second pass XTG --- both on level 7. A finishing third ATG pass on level 5.
A very similar feel to my A2 1955 Birth Year Super Speed Red Tip. Ahhhhh ! Life is good !
Both razors with my favorite blade ----- the Gillette Nacet.
An incredibly smooth delightful BBS result with absolutely no irritation or weepers. Sublime shaving indeed !

C8530C6D-4E4D-4E4E-9973-81C6573D1834_1_201_a.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have a newly acquired E2 1959 FatBoy, and just enjoyed my first shave with this beauty.
First pass WTG and second pass XTG --- both on level 7. A finishing third ATG pass on level 5.
A very similar feel to my A2 1955 Birth Year Super Speed Red Tip. Ahhhhh ! Life is good !
Both razors with my favorite blade ----- the Gillette Nacet.
An incredibly smooth delightful BBS result with absolutely no irritation or weepers. Sublime shaving indeed !

View attachment 1529118

This was my experience as well, with my 1959 E-3 Gillette 195 Adjustable Fatboy razor. I began my journey, using a 7 O-Clock GREEN blade with it.

proxy.php

But now days I am using Wizamet blades in it. Awesome razor, totally recommend that everybody should own at least one of these. So glad that you love yours, and I thank you for sharing! 😍

I'm not a complete beginner to wet shaving, but I am to buying a new razor. I've been using something cheap I bought at target for about a year and I think it's time to upgrade.

I figured I would go with an adjustable so I can get a feel for what kind of aggressiveness I like and won't have to buy a new razor as I get better with my technique (if this is bad idea, please let me know).

I am on a bit of a budget, but these are the one's I've been looking at:

Parker Variant: Really like how easy it is to adjust, but I've seen a lot of reviews about misalignment and QC issues.

Rockwell 6c: Most reviews seem pretty good, but it seems like its harder to adjust on the fly

Vikings Blade Emperor: Like the ease of the TTO, but I'm a little skeptical of the quality (I have a bad habit of buying the cheaper brands featured on Amazon and getting burned)

Merkur Progress: Reviews seem to be good but I don't think I'd like that handle very much.

Pearl Flexi: I don't really know very much about this one, but it just popped onto my radar and looks nice and is supposedly a higher quality build.

If anyone has used one or more of these or you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
So question, if I go from one of my adjustables to one of my DEs or Straights is that a downgrade? hmm...

I like the look of the these, what do they typically go for?
Watch Fleabay or pick one up here. Typically 25-$40 these days for a decent one but I won a lot of 4 on EBay for $27 several months ago- 1 broken and three mechanically excellent. Gave away extras, and like one of them so much I’ll eventually send it to Back Roads Gold for a replate. You simply can’t go wrong with a Gillette slim. I have no experience with the other adjustables so can’t compare.

This Dapperstudiocc shop on Etsy charges outrageous prices for vintage stuff. Slims and Superadjustables are available in antique shops and flea markets for $15 - 25; Dapper charges hundreds of dollars for them. I’m sure his razors are very nice but those prices are way out of line.

Top Bottom