What's new

Upgrading to an adjustable razor

Pearl Flexi is a dream. Just be sure to get version 10.
Did they make changes to the design after v2? I have read in a few places, this board included, that the versions are essentially just batch numbers and have no real meaning after the initial problems were worked out in the design. Is that true?

Either way, I agree. It’s a fantastic razor.

Did they make changes to the design after v2? I have read in a few places, this board included, that the versions are essentially just batch numbers and have no real meaning after the initial problems were worked out in the design. Is that true?

Either way, I agree. It’s a fantastic razor.
I don't know. What I've read is that the pre V10 version had some difficulty with the adjustment mechanism forcing an uneven blade gap. I'm sure others here in B&B have the definitive answer. Supposedly the V10 version cleared up the issue. I certainly have no problems with mine.

I don't know. What I've read is that the pre V10 version had some difficulty with the adjustment mechanism forcing an uneven blade gap. I'm sure others here in B&B have the definitive answer. Supposedly the V10 version cleared up the issue. I certainly have no problems with mine.
Gotcha. I don’t know either, I’m just glad mine doesn’t have any issues. 👍

It can give one a hint if one is rather in the mild or aggressive camp, but not much more.
That makes sense. I think some part of me is worried that I'm going to end up not liking whatever I chose and then I'll have to buy another one, whereas with an adjustable I could just change the setting. That might not be the best idea though idk

@Wbh24 If you're interested, I'm giving away a Merkur Progress in this post -

This is currently the best deal on the table for you. Its a great adjustable at a great price.
I strongly suggest that you take up @Big_T 's offer.

From your list the two I have are the Progress and the 6C. I like the Progress but I reach for the 6C so much more. On plate 5/6 it works really well. I really had no interest in one but saw it on eBay for $12 and decided to take a chance on it. I know it’s considered kinda cheap/basic but it just works. The Progress has good looks, and is adjustable on the fly, but blade alignment isn’t always great and I found there to be a decent amount of chatter. YMMV of course. Just my pennies.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm not quite sure why an adjustable doesn't appeal to me. I can't come up with a decent explanation to myself, let alone others.

Is it the simplicity of a fixed gap razor? I've only been wet shaving for 6 months or so but I've been having great shaves from the outset... perhaps that's why I don't feel the need for an adjustable.

After reading lots of posts here for the past 6 months, it sure seems like the Pearl Flexi is universally liked if you get the latest version. Unless you buy a used one, I think the upgraded versions would be what you'd get if you buy one new, anywhere.

I know there are quite a few pretty costly adjustables. Some people love them. Then of course, as has been mentioned, there are quite a few Vintage Gillette adjustables that are very affordable.

A good adjustable is worth its weight in gold.
Good is a very subjective word, I know, often dictated by other constraints
such as budget.

The benefits are the ability to conjure up a different gap for different days.
Days when you shave regularly, days when your growth is 3 days old,
or 2 weeks old.

While I tried a Slim and Fat Boy in my first year or two of wetshaving, adjustables drove me nuts. Although I preferred the Slim to FB, I was constantly fiddling with the settings and never happy with any. I finally gave the Slim to a relative and sold the FB. I prefer DE's with a fixed head & angle. I find it much easier to switch the blade (mild-to-sharp) in a razor that I'm used to handling, than adjusting the DE.

This seems to be a popular choice! Anything I should be wary of when looking to buy online in terms of quality?
Buy from a reputable seller like DapperStudioCC on etsy. He has good merch and is a straight shooter. My recent razor purchase from him was better than he described. Also, BackRoads Gold sells completely refurbished stuff there. Either of those guy are a good place to buy one (if they have one in stock which they usually do). Slims aren't rare and finding a clean working example should be quite easy. They're a bit more flexible in use than the 195s and, for me, slightly easier to shave with, especially under the nose. But they are equally good razors IMO. Depends on one's face geometry.

While I tried a Slim and Fat Boy in my first year or two of wetshaving, adjustables drove me nuts. Although I preferred the Slim to FB, I was constantly fiddling with the settings and never happy with any. I finally gave the Slim to a relative and sold the FB. I prefer DE's with a fixed head & angle. I find it much easier to switch the blade (mild-to-sharp) in a razor that I'm used to handling, than adjusting the DE.
Then you didn't learn the beauty of why they are such great razors or how to use them correctly. They took the three flare tip super speeds and put them into one body. 1-3 = blue, 4-6 = silver 7-9 = red. Mild, Regular, Aggressive.

The beauty of using an adjustable, to me, is to dial in the shave to fit the part of my face I’m shaving, and the direction.

I go medium aggression first WTG all over, dial it up a bit to get even closer for 2x XTG passes on my face, then I lower it to its minimum for an ATG pass on my neck and jaw. I can’t do that with a fixed-plate razor, and therefore I can’t get as close of a shave.

I have a few non-adjustable razors, but only a few and all extremely aggressive to get as close as possible. I am forced to scrap the ATG pass unless I want to risk some serious irritation.

Adjustables are great if you actually adjust them. I never understood people who find the “sweet spot” and leave it there, seems like a waste to me. But, as they say, that’s just me. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I agree with both @CCS, as well as, @richy240!

I own both standard DE razors, in SB & OC, as well as DE adjustables, 1 being vintage. I can tell you right now, if you are somebody who doesn't always shave everyday, and sometimes lets another day or two go by between shaves, your going to appreciate having an adjustables. As adjustables, literally allow you to adjust the blade aggression gap for the amount of whisker growth you have, as well as, adjust your blade aggression gap, while on the fly!

I own the Gillette 1959 E-3 195 Adjustable Fatboy, and I feel its just like CCS said, its like they took all the best flare tips, blue, silver, red, and stuck them in one razor, saving you time and frustration. Do you really want to shave with three different razors at one time? I mean, sure, you could, but why? Why wouldn't you want to have them all in one razor for convenience?

For the record, I also own the Rex Ambassador & the Merkur Futur adjustable razors, both are good and all, but I still prefer my Fatboy. Why you ask? Cause its the smoothest adjustable shaving razor, out of all of them I own. Gillette knew what they were doing, when they made the Fatboy. And while I have never used their slim razor, I can clearly read the posts from other's who have, and they seem to love their SLIM's, as much as I love my Fatboy. I have big hands, so I prefer the Fatboy, its that simple really lol.

Also, the point that Richy made, I also completely agree. I have read a lot of posts from folks who state, they are using an adjustable razor, but say they pick one setting, and leave it there for the entire shave, this makes no sense to me. The point of an adjustable, is the ability to adjust the blade aggression. For me personally, I start my WTG passes with a strong level of aggression. Then I drop the blade aggression down a little bit for my XTG/DTG passes. Then I drop the aggression further down, when I finish up with my ATG passes.

Its all about achieving the maximum level of efficiency that your skin is able to withstand, to achieve the goal of whisker weight reduction. I've ready multiple posts from folks who went straight for the Muhle R41, for maximum fire power and regretted it. I saw a video from Sinatra Lennon recently, and he cut himself bad with the R41, cause it was just far too much blade aggression, and I suppose his angle was off a bit, and that razor did not care 2 spits, to cut him up to bits.

This is why adjustables are nice, adjust the aggression how you need, and slowly back it off later, for the most comfortable shave.

Buy from a reputable seller like DapperStudioCC on etsy. He has good merch and is a straight shooter. My recent razor purchase from him was better than he described. Also, BackRoads Gold sells completely refurbished stuff there. Either of those guy are a good place to buy one (if they have one in stock which they usually do). Slims aren't rare and finding a clean working example should be quite easy. They're a bit more flexible in use than the 195s and, for me, slightly easier to shave with, especially under the nose. But they are equally good razors IMO. Depends on one's face geometry.
+1 on Dapper Studio. Spenceandbo.com has nice users up to a NOS slim aristocrat.

I'm not a complete beginner to wet shaving, but I am to buying a new razor. I've been using something cheap I bought at target for about a year and I think it's time to upgrade.

I figured I would go with an adjustable so I can get a feel for what kind of aggressiveness I like and won't have to buy a new razor as I get better with my technique (if this is bad idea, please let me know).

I am on a bit of a budget, but these are the one's I've been looking at:

Parker Variant: Really like how easy it is to adjust, but I've seen a lot of reviews about misalignment and QC issues.

Rockwell 6c: Most reviews seem pretty good, but it seems like its harder to adjust on the fly

Vikings Blade Emperor: Like the ease of the TTO, but I'm a little skeptical of the quality (I have a bad habit of buying the cheaper brands featured on Amazon and getting burned)

Merkur Progress: Reviews seem to be good but I don't think I'd like that handle very much.

Pearl Flexi: I don't really know very much about this one, but it just popped onto my radar and looks nice and is supposedly a higher quality build.

If anyone has used one or more of these or you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Welcome!
Out of your list, you'll want the Pearl Flexi. It's fully made of brass and the mechanism is fantastic. Plus it shaves great.
I know some say the Yaqi because it's decent quality for the price but it's Made in China. The Pearl & Parker is Made in India. The Progress is Made in Germany but that doesn't mean anything. Merkur quality isn't what it used to be!
And you don't like the handle anyways!
The Rockwell as you already know uses different plates so you have to switch them one by one!
As others have suggested, I'd also look at vintage Gillette's (if that interests you).
The Slim adjustable and Super adjustable is relatively inexpensive. And if you like it after getting one, you can have them replated to look and work like new. All at a reasonable cost!
Good luck,
LRod

Top Bottom