What's new

Upgrade from my starter DE razor?

I got a rebranded BD179 from CVS about a month ago. Took the plunge into DE. It came with blades "Made in Israel" which i believe to be Personna.

I felt that it does a good job, definitely better and more fun than my disposable razors, cartridge razors, and electric razors, although I knew even at the time of purchase that I would probably want something better soon after. I love the blade feel and audible feedback, it feels so great. I don't mind going over the same area many times as long as I can ultimately get a super close shave without bleeding. I really need a super close shave due to the fact that I use a CPAP and my mask tends to leak when I have any stubble at all :(

I bought a sampler blade pack and so far, I did NOT like the Derby. Astra and GSB were alright, Personna is familiar to me and feels good, and I am still working on the others. I'm still getting multiple weepers or small nicks on my typical shave, although I'm sure it
s due to poor technique

I was eyeing the Razorock Game Changers or Mamba razors because of several reasons:

1) Stainless steel material, not Chinese zinc junk
2) Low profile head, good for under the nose/upper lip
3) Blade alignment posts for perfect alignment
4) Easy to clean, easier than butterfly
5) Slightly closer shave
6) Great design (for example the Halo) and holds hair/debris well

I believe that I want a razor to have some heft and average to longer handle length.

Do you think a Game changer 68/84 or Mamba 70 or even Baby Smooth would be good for me? I'm nervous that I will get something either too mild or too aggressive and won't be able to return it.

Ideally I think I'd like an adjustable razor but Razorock doesn't make any as far as I can tell and for various reasons I'm not crazy about the rest of the adjustable razors on the market

Last edited:
A Rockwell 6S or 6C are always good choices to step up from a starter razor as they're very well-regarded, reasonably priced, and allow for adjustability.

A Parker Variant is another good choice for a reliable full adjustable.

A Rockwell 6S or 6C are always good choices to step up from a starter razor as they're very well-regarded, reasonably priced, and allow for adjustability.

A Parker Variant is another good choice for a reliable full adjustable.

I've read in some places that Parker is aggressive. But in the adjustable Parker, at the low end, is it considered mild? Or is the whole adjustable range still relatively more aggressive than most mild razors?

I suggest you stick with your current set-up for a bit, until your technique is really solid. During this period you can try different blade options to find out what works best for you.

The other point is that Zamak does not mean that a razor is, ‘junk.’ Some zamak razors last many decades and provide great shaves. If you want an ‘easy’ to clean razor that may well be an upgrade, then I would suggest you try either the Merkur 34C or one of the EJ89 series. These are also Zamak, but are fine razors in the ‘mild/moderate’ category.

Mainly, you should enjoy the journey!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

There is nothing wrong with the CVS Blade (aka bd179). I was in CVS picking up after shave, saw the Blade and because I have RAD bought one. I had a bd179 a couple years ago and found it too mild. Gave it to my son. Not sure what changed but the CVS Blade works well for me. I would agree with @BigJ, use it for a while while trying blades and hone your skill. However, if money is not an issue, there is nothing wrong with trying other razors if that is what you like.

To recommend something that hits the marks you are looking for the gamechanger lone is likely the best option for you. The babysmooth is very lightweight. Gamechanger is stainless and has excellent blade alignment. However you mention you’d like an adjustable, and outside of the Rockwell razors, it leaves you with a tto butterfly razor like a fat boy, slim, or black beauty and if you go for an adjustable that is not a good vintage tto, you could consider a merkur progress but now you are looking at a zink alloy build.

I have all of the razors mentioned, and from my experiences I would recommend the gamechanger 84 safety bar, or the Gillette black beauty long handle version. The vintage tto is not a difficult razor to maintain, and if you clean it with a toothbrush once a week with some dawn, you will never have an issue, even that is overkill.

Gamechanger will offer the heft you are looking for and possibly longer handle depending on how you outfit the whole deal. I personally love the superknurl. As for the black beauty razor, it’s a little lighter, and from an appearance standpoint isn’t exciting but man, it’s a hard one to beat.

Or you might try vintage. The Gillette slim adjustable is a great performer.
Of course, the Gillette Tech in one of many models is also a proven performer:
Prewar Fathandle Tech  like new.jpg
The Gillette New Model in either Long or Short Comb also works with about any blade & is equally excellent to the Slim & Tech:
Nickel New SC.jpg

A Game Changer 0.68 or Mamba 70 would be a mild yet effective razor. I find the 0.84 to be a little too aggressive for me, but many people love it. Worst case scenario - they wouldn't be hard to sell.

I really like their Barberpole handles as well.

I've read in some places that Parker is aggressive. But in the adjustable Parker, at the low end, is it considered mild? Or is the whole adjustable range still relatively more aggressive than most mild razors?
I own a Rockwell 6S, Parker Variant, and Merkur Progress (Mergress, actually). You won't go wrong with any of them. The Progress was the first razor I was truly satisfied with after trying a 34C, 37C, Fatboy, and two other vintage Gillettes. The Variant and 6S came later. The beauty of an adjustable as a newbie is that you can get a good feel of how mild or aggressive of a razor you prefer. All work well for me as a daily shaver. For several days of growth, give me the Progress. YMMV...

I own, or have owned, many of the razors you have mentioned and based upon your requirements would recommend the Game Changer .68 safety bar. Although it is not sold as an adjustable, like the Rockwell, you can now purchase 6 different plates for this razor. The .68 safety bar is the mildest, so start there. If it isn't providing the efficiency you are looking for, you can move to the .68 open comb, the .68 Jaws, or move to one of those same three options for the .84 version.

It has the low profile head you want, is very well made of all stainless steel and is both attractive and well balanced.

I have both the Game Changer and Mamba and prefer the GC for its smoothness and efficiency over the Mamba.

A Game Changer 0.68 or Mamba 70 would be a mild yet effective razor. I find the 0.84 to be a little too aggressive for me, but many people love it. Worst case scenario - they wouldn't be hard to sell.

I really like their Barberpole handles as well.

I own only 2 DE safety razors, the .84 Game Changer(my first), and now a .68 Game Changer. I have only gotten 3 shaves in now with the .68 but I think I prefer it as well. I really like the .84 too, but having now tried both, I think I prefer the milder, less aggressive .68

Now contemplating a Mamba .70 because I think it may also be a razor I get along with, plus I really like the stainless milled steel construction and the Razorocks come in at an agreeable price point for me. So in short, I agree with you : )

I suggest you stick with your current set-up for a bit, until your technique is really solid. During this period you can try different blade options to find out what works best for you.

The other point is that Zamak does not mean that a razor is, ‘junk.’ Some zamak razors last many decades and provide great shaves. If you want an ‘easy’ to clean razor that may well be an upgrade, then I would suggest you try either the Merkur 34C or one of the EJ89 series. These are also Zamak, but are fine razors in the ‘mild/moderate’ category.

Mainly, you should enjoy the journey!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

As usual, I agree with Mr Big and his experienced insight.
Let me add my neophyte, dim-witted opinion...
There are many factors that make up the performance, or how much you like the razor. Other than the actual razor and it’s weight, geometry, handle grip, etc...I’d say that the blade that you choose is at the least, just as important. In other words, you could get another razor, drop a blade in it, and hate it...or love it. As you will find around many of the B&B threads...In many cases, it’s not the razors fault.
Just as Mr Big suggested, use the CVS razor for a little while, try different blades, after you can string together a few BBS shaves in a row...then worry about a different razor.

PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER!
D7CFEF80-F312-42DC-898C-09FF7B0172EE.jpeg

All I know is that I get a great shave on the the Parker at setting 2 with the personna Israeli reds. I like the heavier weight of the Parker along with the longer handle. No cuts or weepers!

I would agree that the Parker Variant is a mild razor specifically below 2.5. I like milder razors because I don’t have a beard made of carbon fiber. Typically if I haven’t shaved for 2 days or more I do my 1st pass with the Variant at 3.5 and then wind it down to 2.5 for the rest of the shave. I suppose I could just swap out plates on a Karve, for example, but I like the adjustability of the Variant.

I would agree that the Parker Variant is a mild razor specifically below 2.5. I like milder razors because I don’t have a beard made of carbon fiber. Typically if I haven’t shaved for 2 days or more I do my 1st pass with the Variant at 3.5 and then wind it down to 2.5 for the rest of the shave. I suppose I could just swap out plates on a Karve, for example, but I like the adjustability of the Variant.
Actually I only received the Variant yesterday and today was my first shave. I watched some Youtube reviews and they said to start the Variant at a very low setting. So I went with 2. Tomorrow I'll try at 3.5 and wind it down to 2.5 to try to duplicate your success.

Top Bottom