What's new

Upgrade from my Lord L6 razor

Hey guys i'm new here and also new to DE shaving. I'm looking for some advice on getting a more aggressive razor. I bought a Lord L6 with shark blades when i started DE shaving about a month ago, and it just seems way too mild for me since it can only cut so close no matter which angle i'm using it at. I was getting a closer shave with my schick 5 hydro.

Can anyone recommend a more aggressive razor? I was thinking of a Merkur Futur but i've read on here it can be extremely aggressive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Personally I would go vintage and the Gillette NEW long comb is unbeatable if you can pick one up; open comb so you are upping the aggression but not too much. The Gillette adjustables would be another route where you can change the settings to suit your purpose; here you are going to have to pay more though.

Personally i love the coolness and history of vintage razors but i'm looking for a more polished modern looking razor, i should have pointed that out. That's kinda why i like the look of the Futur by Merkur but if the lowest setting is still deadly than i dont know.

You should really try an open comb razor. Just stay away from Merkur open comb razors as they are even milder than the razor you have.

Check out the Sabi, or any of the Cadet open combs (all have the same head; different handles). Both will be considerably more aggressive than your Lord. Available on-line from Shaveabuck. As an alternative, you might try a different blade (if you haven't already). Personally, I find Sharks to be only mediocre sharp, so you might try a sharper blade, such as Gillette 7 O'clock yellows, Personna lab blues, or even the uber-sharp Feathers.

Have fun.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. After reading up on here i might try using a shim on my lord to see if it makes it more aggressive just by cutting and stacking a couple old blades underneath a new one. But im gonna have to check out an open comb razor with some new blades aswell. I guess its all about experimenting:thumbup1:

I was getting a closer shave with my schick 5 hydro.

DE Shaving will not necessarily get you closer than a 5 bladed razor. I'm new to DE Shaving, but I'm getting far less irritation and my in-grown hairs are all but gone (compared to when I used a 3 bladed cartridge). More aggression might lead to a closer shave, but this can also be achieved by doing more (or different types) of passes.

Has anyone introduced you to Mantic59 youtube videos? http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59/videos?sort=da&view=0&flow=grid Mantic does a very good job of explaining DE shaving in terms of 'beard reduction'

This is my first post on B&B. I'm fairly new to DE shaving and have been using a Lord L6 with Shark blades to my satisfaction. I just purchased a 1970 Gillette Adjustable 109 and have been shaving with it for a week or so on setting 4. It's amazing to me how a 44 year old vintage razor out performs a modern day razor! My shave with the Gillette was so much smoother and enjoyable! I have to thank you guys on B&B for steering me to seek out and find a "Black Beauty" as my first vintage DE razor!

Last edited:
Hey no i haven't but thanks for the link i'll check them out. No i don't expect to get a closer shave than a 5 blade i just want it to be about the same. I also get pretty irritated using a cartridge razor which i was glad to see get better with the switch to DE. I think the Lord L6 is a great razor for beginners especially for the cheap price (like $10-$15).

Before you change razors, change blades. Shark Stainless Steel blades are among the mildest I've tried. I only get three shaves out of them before I have to throw them out. Whereas I get 20 or 30 shaves out of sharper blades (plus more nicks and/or alum stings). Try Gillette 7 O'Clock for something sharper, or Astra SPs for ultra sharp (too sharp for me, actually).

Regards,

Renato

Thanks Renato1 for the advice, i got some Feathers & Astra's on the way. I did the shim last night (stacked a new blade on top of 2 older cut down ones too add aggression) and didnt seem like a good shave.

Top Bottom