What's new

Upgrade from KCG

I could have written your post - as a matter of fact I did in another thread. I started with the KCG and for $12 on Amazon, it got me started. I hated the grip (or lack of) and bought a Rockwell 6S. Couldn't be more pleased. Adjustability, knurled grip, and over-built stainless steel. I ended up paying a total of $80 with a website pop-up discount. This was just before their price hike. It took a week to get it coming from Canada to North Carolina.
How do you find the shave to be compared to KCG? Is it mild and better?

Hi there,

I got a KCG as my first DE razor couple months ago, and I am generally happy with it, however, I really don't like the handle. It is too heavy and slippery, last week I dropped the razor while shaving and got a cut.

So I thought maybe this is a good opportunity to upgrade.

My dilemma is that people say KCG is similar to EJ DE89, which shaves very well, some even say it's better than Razorock Mamba or Rockwell 6S. So any expenditure might not actually improve the shaving experience.

Can you recommend me something that is:
1. smooth (just as smooth as KCG) for everyday use, and shaves better (in your opinion)
2. Have great build quality (stainless steel)
3. Ideally not significantly more expensive than Rockwell 6S

Happy shaving!
Just a noob here myself and my first razor was the KCG with blades included and it worked well. I received 4 razors within a week or so and have not used the KCG again but will get back to it. Second shave was with the RR SLOC & Astra SP and it was definitely a better experience for me than the KCG. Maybe a little more aggressive but I think the razor looks more aggressive that it actually is. Shave was great. Third shave was Henson AL13 mild and it was a little too mild with the Astra SP and seemed to load up easily with the shave cream. I will get back to this one and try a couple of different blades but my next Henson will probably be the Ti medium. 4th shave was the PAA DOC & Astra SP. Similar but not quite as good as as SLOC. Next shave was SLOC and 2nd time on Astra SP got my first tiny weeper on this shave but no razor burn. I do use the alum block after every shave before the Proraso balm.
So far SLOC has worked best for me so now it is time to load different blades in these four (4) razors and run through them again before I get anymore equipment.
Good luck and happy shaves!
Scott

Thank you for the suggestions and warm welcome

So far we have:
Razorock - I'm considering Mamba for the smoothness. Very reasonably priced
Rockwell 6S - this is more expensive, but the safer choice as I can adjust the head
Karve Overlander - this is currently sold out :(
Blackland Razors - looks amazing but more expensive than the rest of the options

I am gravitating towards the Mamba due to the amazing looks and reasonable price
RazoRock - Gamechanger .68 or .84 + add an additional handle or 2
Rockwell - Consider the 6C

The KCG in itself is not a bad razor but I'm not a fan of the handle knurling or lack thereof.
The second half can present a safety issue being polished and smooth.

I would recommend using nylon washers from ATT between any replacement handles / heads to offset any seating issues.

I know I'm late to the party, but I like the KCG head but the handle not so much. My Razorock super knurl handle will be arriving within the week.

Hi there,

I got a KCG as my first DE razor couple months ago, and I am generally happy with it, however, I really don't like the handle. It is too heavy and slippery, last week I dropped the razor while shaving and got a cut.

So I thought maybe this is a good opportunity to upgrade.

My dilemma is that people say KCG is similar to EJ DE89, which shaves very well, some even say it's better than Razorock Mamba or Rockwell 6S. So any expenditure might not actually improve the shaving experience.

Can you recommend me something that is:
1. smooth (just as smooth as KCG) for everyday use, and shaves better (in your opinion)
2. Have great build quality (stainless steel)
3. Ideally not significantly more expensive than Rockwell 6S

Happy shaving!
I have the KGC and the Mamba 53 and 70.
The Mambas are much smoother than the KGC. The 70 will give you an equally efficient shave as the KGC but much smoother. And a genuine steel razor with an awesome selection of handles.

Get a Tech. At a flea market or antique store for less than $10. Or a Lord L5, the best of the Tech clones. I’ve seen them on the web for $7. Great razors for most faces.

Great idea to first just switch the handle do you can continue working on your technique. The KCG is a wonderful razor (I myself have no troubles with the handle, but I like mine on the heavier side anyway) to hone technique and have mild shave if you need one. Even though I may have moved on to different razors I still have this in my rotation (or I am too emotionally attached to it - could be).

And I give a +1 to @Abz88 on the Fatip recommendation. In my opinion (and YMMV) an amazing razor at an insanely low price point for an all brass razor.

Best,

Guido

So, what happened. Now handle worked or you want on and ordered a Razorock? A have KCG and it's handle is little slippery, yes. But time using it helps with that and i got used to it. Now I'm thinking of switching to Razorock and was wondering if you changed your razor?

I have both of them, EJDE89 knurled handle and KCG
IMO EJDE89 is a bit more agresive, not much...
If handle is the only problem, you can buy handle only, threads are the same, so head and handles are interchangable

If you become open to aluminum then try a Henson medium.
If you want a one and done stainless steel then a Yates 921.
If you want stainless steel but a bit less expensive then a Merica razor.
Have fun whatever you decide.

Top Bottom