What's new

Upgrade from KCG

Hi there,

I got a KCG as my first DE razor couple months ago, and I am generally happy with it, however, I really don't like the handle. It is too heavy and slippery, last week I dropped the razor while shaving and got a cut.

So I thought maybe this is a good opportunity to upgrade.

My dilemma is that people say KCG is similar to EJ DE89, which shaves very well, some even say it's better than Razorock Mamba or Rockwell 6S. So any expenditure might not actually improve the shaving experience.

Can you recommend me something that is:
1. smooth (just as smooth as KCG) for everyday use, and shaves better (in your opinion)
2. Have great build quality (stainless steel)
3. Ideally not significantly more expensive than Rockwell 6S

Happy shaving!

Welcome to B&B! Take a look at the new ERA razor from Blackland Razors. It may be a while until the user reviews start coming in, but in concept it may be precisely what you're looking for.

I'll just leave this here...

And welcome aboard! :badger:

Hi and Welcome aboard. Welcome to Badger & Blade ! I suggest the Karve Overlander, wonderful razor. I regret trading mine but surely I will get her back. It fits your shaving profile. 2nd pick would be Rockwell 6S. GL

My dilemma is that people say KCG is similar to EJ DE89, which shaves very well, some even say it's better than Razorock Mamba or Rockwell 6S

Welcome to the discussion, Kiwi66.

I have the KCG with its heavy and rather slippery handle, and it is definitely not better than a Rockwell 6S.

I can't comment about Mambas, but the RazoRock Game Changer with various baseplates is better than a KCG, and I'm very happy I got the 4 reasonable options (open comb and safety bar x 0.68 and 0.84).

If you need to budget, get the GC.68P (mild safety bar), or the Rockwell (consider the zamac one at half price) and try R4/R5, they are both excellent.

The only thing I loved about the KCG was the blades, as they were near-enough perfect. On the other hand, so are Astra SPs for me...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kix

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Sorry to hear about your razor handle being slippery. Would it be feasible to simply change the handle on it to one that's a bit grippier? West Coast Shaving has a number of nice aftermarket handles that have a nice knurl for grip.

Welcome to the madhouse! :thumbup:
I really don't like the handle. It is too heavy and slippery ...
Why not just change the handle?

Your KGC handle is 97mm long (a vaulting pole IMO), 11.4mm diameter, an weighs 71g (the razor head weighs 31g).

Most stainless steel handles are heavy too.
I like the look of the RazoRock Vintage THICK Bar Handle - 316L Stainless Steel:
RR-Vintage-Bar-Handle-THICK_2022-02-11.jpg

Which is 76mm long, 13mm diameter, but unfortunately weighs 72g (about the same as yours).

If you don't mind a slightly thinner handle, there's the RazoRock Vintage THIN Bar Handle - 316L Stainless Steel:
RR-Vintage-Bar-Handle-THIN_2022-02-11.jpg

Which is also 76mm long, but 10mm diameter, and weighs a much lighter 40g.

And here they are together:
RR-Vintage-Bar-Handles_2022-02-11.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions and warm welcome

So far we have:
Razorock - I'm considering Mamba for the smoothness. Very reasonably priced
Rockwell 6S - this is more expensive, but the safer choice as I can adjust the head
Karve Overlander - this is currently sold out :(
Blackland Razors - looks amazing but more expensive than the rest of the options

I am gravitating towards the Mamba due to the amazing looks and reasonable price

Welcome to the madhouse! :thumbup:

Why not just change the handle?

That was my first thought!
But I am based in Asia, and shipping costs can be as high as 20-30USD.

Also, the KCG head has brass threads, so finding a compatible handle that ships internationally would be around 50-60USD.
At that point I started considering getting a Razorock razor... and down the rabbit hole we go.

The new Karve Shaving Overlander might be an answer to your need.
The older Karve Christopher Bradley Plate C also will be similar but a bit more efficient than the KCG
Others coming to mind : Pearl Blaze, Razorock Game Changer 84, Charcoal Goods Everyday razor OR Level 2
The Edwin Jagger 3one6 is a step (or two) up too from the EJ89 head on the KCG.
The Rockwell 6S Plates 5/6 are a good stepup and very smooth compared to the KCG which could be Plate 3 on the Rockwell 6S

Some of these razors would have considerably more blade feel from the KCG, but solid razors.

I tried the KCG for a bit, just to have the reference point in my head. It was an okay shaver, nothing to write home about. I agree that the handle is very slick. It would have been better if they'd extended that barberpole pattern for much more of the handle.

I've since picked up a RazoRock Game Changer 68-P and I'm probably never going to shut up about how great it is. And you can get some extra baseplates to give it some adjustability similar to the Rockwell. The GC and two extra plates would be roughly similar in price to the 6S. Or, if you really like the Mamba, getting it and both plates would even less.

I will warn you about RazoRock razors, though.. If you have any plans of further exploration in the zamak/cast metal razor world, you may want to consider doing that before buying into RazoRock. Because once you have an RR, you may get spoiled by the ridiculous quality for value they offer, and become a full stainless steel convert! 😁

It's a thing.

Welcome to B&B.
I got a KCG as my first DE razor couple months ago, and I am generally happy with it, however, I really don't like the handle.
A handle from Aliexpress would transform that razor at a very reasonable price. Work on your technique before changing to a new razor. The KCG is very capable of giving you a very good shave. The blades it comes with are excellent but expensive so look for blade alternatives like Astra SP, GSB or Nacet to name a few.

Just a warning on getting a new handle, the KCG has a standard pin size but there is a groove/indent where the handle meets the head that prevents a lot of handles from fitting snuggly. My EJ handle doesn't fit my KCG head snuggly for example.

I know you said SS, but I would recommend a FaTip with a Gentile base plate (Piccolo or Grande depending on your handle preference). It has a slightly different shave angle to the KCG but I find it just as if not smoother and a more efficient razor. It's an all brass razor so better quality than the KCG and also cheaper than a SS razor.

Just a warning on getting a new handle, the KCG has a standard pin size but there is a groove/indent where the handle meets the head that prevents a lot of handles from fitting snuggly. My EJ handle doesn't fit my KCG head snuggly for example.

I know you said SS, but I would recommend a FaTip with a Gentile base plate (Piccolo or Grande depending on your handle preference). It has a slightly different shave angle to the KCG but I find it just as if not smoother and a more efficient razor. It's an all brass razor so better quality than the KCG and also cheaper than a SS razor.

For reference, some pictures showing the slightly different indent/groove in the base plate and the difference between the snug fit of a KCG handle and the not so snug EJ handle.

20220211_090247.jpg
20220211_090430.jpg
20220211_090335.jpg
20220211_090356.jpg

Hi there,

I got a KCG as my first DE razor couple months ago, and I am generally happy with it, however, I really don't like the handle. It is too heavy and slippery, last week I dropped the razor while shaving and got a cut.

So I thought maybe this is a good opportunity to upgrade.

My dilemma is that people say KCG is similar to EJ DE89, which shaves very well, some even say it's better than Razorock Mamba or Rockwell 6S. So any expenditure might not actually improve the shaving experience.

Can you recommend me something that is:
1. smooth (just as smooth as KCG) for everyday use, and shaves better (in your opinion)
2. Have great build quality (stainless steel)
3. Ideally not significantly more expensive than Rockwell 6S

Happy shaving!
I could have written your post - as a matter of fact I did in another thread. I started with the KCG and for $12 on Amazon, it got me started. I hated the grip (or lack of) and bought a Rockwell 6S. Couldn't be more pleased. Adjustability, knurled grip, and over-built stainless steel. I ended up paying a total of $80 with a website pop-up discount. This was just before their price hike. It took a week to get it coming from Canada to North Carolina.

As others mentioned, if the handle is the only issue it can be changed out. If you simply want another razor and the handle is your motivation for getting one, the 6s is an incredible choice, in my opinion. However, once you figure out what plate you like, you will probably keep it there. I started on 5,moved to 4 for a couple of days, then six after a couple more days and left it there. From what I have seen on Rockwell's site, they make other models with less plate options that are more budget friendly, but you need a good idea of what you want from a razor. Others, of course, have mentioned additional brands that are also excellent choices.

Edit: looks like the only option from Rockwell with less plates is the 2C kit, which comes with the R1 plate in chrome plated zinc alloy. Personally, I think the R1 plate just doesn't give enough of a blade gap.

Last edited:
Reactions: ewk
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Indeed, my main motivation was the handle. A lot of you suggested getting a new handle if this is the only issue, and I decided to do just that, because I do like how it shaves. My switch from cartridge to DE was super easy thanks to the KCG.

I found an all brass handle that ships cheaply, and will give KCG another try.

If it doesn't work, I'll get a Rockwell 6S :thumbup:

Top Bottom