What's new

Updating matcha

When I searched Matcha a little while ago, I saw that the latest thread was from 2014. So I thought we'd update the subject.

Joel gave a great tutorial in 2008 on how to make a great matcha. The pictures have all expired now, though.

I can't offer any advice or opinion since I am just researching the subject.

I am asking those who drink matcha to jump in with suggestions and recommendations of teas and equipment. I have no idea what is quality ceremonial matcha and what is not.

Has anyone purchased from Breakaway?
Quality Japanese Matcha Green Tea | Beyond Ceremonial

Happy shaving!

I've been going over that website. Interesting.
They are quite expensive as they say they have the highest quality.
They prepare in a non-traditional way saying it's easier and quicker. I agree yet I disagree as they speak of the "rules" etc. of tea ceremony. You can make matcha with a whisk and not have to follow the formalities of a tea ceremony. Those rules are for ceremonial purposes, not everyday drinking. That being said, there is nothing wrong with making something easier.
I may order the match flight so I can try them out. That would be a way to try 1 or 2 expensive teas and also try a couple that I'd more typically order.

I purchase my matcha from o-cha.com or kettl. I've been curious about Breakaway Matcha but I haven't been able to justify the price... Yet!

O-cha has some great tea at reasonable prices but they do have some options from Tsuen Tea Shop in Kyoto which are very nice and priced for such quality.

I'm sitting on on Chiyo Mukashi which is great. Strong umami taste, slightly sweet, creamy and not at all bitter. It's been my daily cup. I have some of the Tsuen Taiko-San matcha I'm waiting to try as well. 20180510_082717.jpg 20180510_082856.jpg

Ippodo have some nice starter kits, that's where I started.....they seem to have more options thess days.

I'll second the recomendation for O-Cha too.

It's been a long time since I used them but Denstea have a nice looking started kit for $20.

Of all places, Costco is starting to offer bagged and loose green tea matcha. Buying it is the easy thing, knowing what's about and trying to understand the difference between a bag which steeps for 30 seconds or a loose tea which you steep longer... I'll be interested in how this developes.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Bagged matcha? Doesn't that virtually defeat the idea of matcha?

Are they just selling something more along the lines of sencha and calling it "matcha" because Dr. Oz or some other fashion-of-the-moment yay-hoo said "matcha leads to weight loss, great skin, riches beyond your wildest dreams, and George Clooney"?

Hey, we Are talking about Costco.
Warehouse of all things good and satisfying for your life?
Card carrying membership required for marital bliss?

I'd be weary of any "big box" matcha, unless you're plan mainly on making lattes or something similar. If that is the case, the value makes it an easy choice IMO.

Top Bottom