What's new

Updated Review of 7 Synthetic Knots

I’ve been using synthetic brushes in my rotation for about a year-and-a-half now. I have tried several actually, but have whittled it down to 7 (technically 8, but two of them are with the same brand knot). I thought I would share my observations of the 7 specific synthetic knots in my current rotation (FWIW) and hopefully encourage those who have been thinking of trying a synth brush, to go ahead and give one a go. (This is an update to a synth review/comparison that I did several months ago).

The first 3 brushes that I’m going to mention have basically the same type knot (same fibers, IME). They are: Plisson L’Occitane; Maggard Razors; and AMACK “Sunrise”. Even though they appear to be the same fiber, the knot specs are different, and thus they each have their own “personality”.

1. Plisson L’Occitane: specs out at about 22.5/55
2. Maggard Razors: specs out at about 25/55
3. AMACK “Sunrise”: specs out at about 25/53.

The Plisson L’Occitane & AMACK “Sunrise”: The Plisson L’Occitane and the AMACK “Sunrise” feel very similar, both have ultra soft tips, with the AMACK having just a tad bit more backbone due to the spec difference, no doubt. Neither has what I would call “substantial” backbone; as a matter of fact, some would say that the Plisson has practically no backbone at all. But that is not a negative for me; it just takes getting used to, IMHO, and is well worth it. The Plisson splays effortlessly (as does the AMACK), which makes face lathering a breeze (for me), and bowl lathering produces a quick lather and paints the lather on with no streaks - it's really nice. I have the Plisson set in a Rudy Vey custom handle.

Maggard Razors: Now this brush feels very different in comparison to the other two. The Maggard is much, much more dense, and certainly feels bigger than a 25mm brush. It has substantially more backbone than the other two. The tips, thus, do not feel as soft as the other two, especially if face lathering with circular motions. I prefer to use paintbrush motions with the Maggard, rather than circular, because the tips feel softer that way. It’s surprising to me that this is not as soft tipped as the Plisson and AMACK because of the similar fibers. I have to also add another thing that makes the Maggard brush so good: the handle! Nice and hefty Kent replica – just awesome!

The next 4 brush brands have different knots, both in construction and fiber type. They are: Edwin Jagger XL; Whipped Dog; Ubersoft; and A4 Game Changer.

1. EJ XL: specs out at about 25/57.5
2. Whipped Dog: the standard handled one is 25/54; the tall handled one is 25.5/52
3. Ubersoft: specs out at about 26.5/52
4. A4 Game Changer: specs out at about 24/54

The EJ XL: This is a FANTASTIC brush on every level! I intentionally omitted the word “synthetic” because it’s that good. Many folks (including myself) have posted about this phenomenal brush, so I’ll just say this: that if all my other brushes vanished and this was the only one left, I’d be quite content. I love the soft tipped, plush, dense feel of this brush - just great! I really enjoy the splay that this knot presents while still retaining backbone. It’s huge as a face lathering brush, but luxuriously enjoyable; and it is a wonderful bowl latherer, as one might expect. Two side notes: I also once had the EJ L, 23mm, and was a good brush, but the tips felt a tad bit "spiky" to me. An efficient and capable brush, no doubt, but it just didn't make the grade for me. One would think that a mere 2mm difference between this brush and the XL wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but it is, and not in the best way (for me). But the EJ XL is dynamite on every possible level! And secondly, I had two Muhle synths (23mm and 25mm), but both were set too low for me, and required much more exertion to splay like I prefer, and thus didn’t feel as luxurious; however, if set to the same loft ratio as the XL, I’m sure they would be equally good as they use the same synthetic fiber. As a matter of fact, I just received a Muhle 25mm synth knot, and when held up next to the EJ XL, it appears identical, so will set it accordingly.

Whipped Dog: Another outstanding brush! This knot is IMHO the best “value” synthetic knot on the market currently. It has wonderfully soft tips, almost as soft as the EJ XL, and as soft as the Plisson/AMACK (to me), but with more density and backbone. This works well for face lathering or bowl lathering, but requires just a tad more pressure to splay nicely – not a negative, just a nuance. This is my number one travel brush (in the standard handle), and I like it so much, that I have another one for home use (in the tall handle). This brush whips up lather (hard soap, croap, cream, or stick) as well as any brush can – awesome!

A4 Game changer: The fibers of this knot may well be the same as the Plisson, AMACK, and Maggard, except that they are black in color. I don’t know if they were dyed, or if that’s the original color. But it feels very similar to the Plisson in performance and face feel. It has maybe a touch more backbone than the Plisson? but not by much (if any). It has very soft tips, like the Plisson, and is an excellent performing knot – I rather like it. I have it set in a ShaverJoe custom handle.

Ubersoft: This knot is a hybrid shape – actually closer to a fan, than bulb. It is very dense, similar to the Maggard, with excellent backbone. What it does lack, however, is ultra soft tips. I find this one to border on “scritchy” if face lathering (not quite like an inferior batch of Simpson “best”, but similar), but if bowl lathered and painted on, quite nice. This is a fantastic brush performer, to be sure, with lots of scrub. I have this knot set in a Doug Korn D7 – perfect.

SUMMARY:

Synthetic knots make wonderful brushes! They are excellent performers and very enjoyable to use. If I were to be brutally honest, I actually get the best lathers from synth brushes (there, I said it!). So here is how I rank them in order of preference (for me – YMMV, of course):

1. EJ XL – hands down my favorite synth, and one of my favorite brushes – period!
2. Whipped Dog – if I didn’t have the EJ XL, this would be top dog. It’s outstanding on every level.
3. Plisson/AMACK/A4 Game Changer – I love the soft tips and easy splay.
4. Maggard Razor – the handle is awesome, and it’s a dense brush.
5. Ubersoft – dense brush and solid performer.

So go ahead and order a synth brush – they’re excellent!

$IMG_1434.jpg
Plisson L'Occitane; Maggard Razors; AMACK Sunrise

$IMG_1440.jpg
EJ XL; Whipped Dog; Ubersoft; Whipped Dog; A4 Game Changer

Last edited:
The EJ looks great. It sure looks a lot like my Muhle synthetic.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
This is awesome [MENTION=82524]cmh737[/MENTION]! Thank you so much for sharing this! I have one synth now but may have to grab one of these based on your excellent breakdown. I'm going to share this in the Clinic.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks for doing that. :detective:

I have the AMACK “Sunrise”, and like it so much I bought two more knots.

AA

Top Bottom