What's new

Update: On Glock's Appeal against Army's Decision on Sig 320

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Glock is challenging the US Army to finish testing to confirm which handgun is the best

Found this interesting article that gives a bunch more details into why Glock Vice President, Josh Dorsey (who is a retired marine) of why he is protesting the Army's decision of the Sig 320. Apparently, he is saying that the Army didn't attempt to finish the testing, canceling the tests, just before the most important Reliability and durability portion of the testing.

Dorsey is suggesting that a few of the Army's Administration was only concerned with the Lower bid of Sig's 169.5 million against Glock's bid of 272.2 million. Glock is also saying the testing was supposed to go 25,000 rounds but the Army halted it at 12,500.

Glock's Vice President Dorsey, is also maintaining, that during these rounds, the full size Sig 320, suffered more stoppages than the Glock 19.

The Army says it will not hold more handgun tests between Glock and Sig Sauer

Both articles are very informative and interesting reading.

It should come as no surprise that the Army would take the low bidder. That's how we got stuck with the Beretta over the P226. Glock is pissing and moaning when they already have their answer. Unless they choose to compete in the arena of pricing the competition is over as they have already dramatically failed THAT test. Stopping the rest of the test is the Army's prerogative, testing costs more money, money that is wasted if the outcome is already predetermined due to pricing.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It should come as no surprise that the Army would take the low bidder. That's how we got stuck with the Beretta over the P226. Glock is pissing and moaning when they already have their answer. Unless they choose to compete in the arena of pricing the competition is over as they have already dramatically failed THAT test. Stopping the rest of the test is the Army's prerogative, testing costs more money, money that is wasted if the outcome is already predetermined due to pricing.

This is my thinking also. I could understand if Sig had like a thousand more stoppages than the Glock, but Glock just saying, "the Sig had more stoppages?" What does that mean? And also, were not talking about being under bid by a few million dollars, we are talking about over a 100 million dollar difference, holy crap!

They essentially BOUGHT the contract. Hope it doesn't bite them on the butt.

I also hope, once production catches up, the quantity being built leads to a price drop for the rest of us.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We should only really be disappointed in this: will this cost American lives, if Glock is correct in it's assertions? Harry Truman would blow a gasket on this one.

I have my doubts on that. It's got to be a huge improvement over the Beretta, if nothing else.

It should be no surprise that to government went with the lower bid, although Glock needs to get over it and move on. Typically Glock arrogance. They cant accept the fact that now, everyone builds great poly SA pistols. What do you expect from a company whose motto is, "perfection".

Why can't Americans build a better COLT ???
For one because Colt had a poor business model. Colt tried to rely just on government contracts, instead of being like everyone else and having both government and civilian contracts.
You could say though that Americans did build a better Colt. Its called a, "SIG".

[QUOTE "You could say though that Americans did build a better Colt. Its called a, "SIG".[/QUOTE]

I was looking at a small pocket pistol and looked at a Colt Mustang, the I found the Sig 938, Got a 9mm in the same size package. The gun just seemed tighter and better built, plus the Sig sights are light years ahead of the Colt's.

I thought that was the Germans?
New Hampshire now.

I have a late 60s Commander. It's nice but I like my Sig RCS Compact better in every way but one. The Sig will never gain in value.

I'm ok with that. It's a tool, however well made.

Let me put this in a military perspective.

The new DoD shoestring contract just came up. One shoestring manufacturer promises a shoe string that costs $1 a pair and will last for 2 years. Another shoe string manufacturer promises a shoe string that costs $2 and will last for 2.5 years. Which shoe string contract should we award?

Pistols are literally the least effective and last considered weapon systems in the military. EVERYTHING else is more powerful. About the only people using pistols in combat with any type of regularity can pick whatever pistol platform they want and won't be affected by this contract. So I'd consider cost, once it concerns a pistol platform above a certain floor of reliability, to be the most important criteria for a mass issued pistol. Glock lost out on this one and deservedly so, IMHO. I'm not a big fan of Sigs (initially for their left frame decocker, also for their high bore-axis) but no way should we pay more for a Glock (especially with the manual safety), the Sig will be perfectly suitable.

Let me put this in a military perspective.

The new DoD shoestring contract just came up. One shoestring manufacturer promises a shoe string that costs $1 a pair and will last for 2 years. Another shoe string manufacturer promises a shoe string that costs $2 and will last for 2.5 years. Which shoe string contract should we award?

Pistols are literally the least effective and last considered weapon systems in the military. EVERYTHING else is more powerful. About the only people using pistols in combat with any type of regularity can pick whatever pistol platform they want and won't be affected by this contract. So I'd consider cost, once it concerns a pistol platform above a certain floor of reliability, to be the most important criteria for a mass issued pistol. Glock lost out on this one and deservedly so, IMHO. I'm not a big fan of Sigs (initially for their left frame decocker, also for their high bore-axis) but no way should we pay more for a Glock (especially with the manual safety), the Sig will be perfectly suitable.

Well said.

Also, what other items will that extra 100 million buy and what effect will that have?

Got a SIG, got a Glock, got a Beretta. Not a burp of difference in quality or reliability as far as I can see.

Top Bottom