What's new

Update from Germanicus

Due to other obligations/pursuits/obsessions (namely new job, new espresso machine, househunting, mid-century modern design/architecture) I haven't been visiting this fine forums for a while. So here's an update on the shaving side of things.

A while back I had my first barbershop straight razor shave.
The good:
Face massage
Hot towels

The bad:
Razor burn
Stubble
No brush: hot lather applied w/hands (latex gloves)

Frankly I was expecting more. The experience was overall relaxing but I was expecting a badger brush and soap or cream. Instead I got lather coming out of a dispenser. The shave was not nearly as close as the ones I give myself with my humble DE setup and with a lot more irritation.

The experience was akin to dining out or having an espresso at a coffee shop and being disappointed. After you have taken the time to learn to do things well at home it's hard to be pleased when somebody else does them for you.

BTW, my humble rotation includes: Proraso pre-shave, Proraso or Florena cream or C&E Sienna soap, HD and Derby, AV Sport (green) or Old Spice followed by Proraso AS balm.

Good to be back.

your home setup and skill outweighs the majority of those giving 'so called barbershop shaves'. At least you know how to correct what was done to your face. The poor sap who knows nothing would think they have had the best experience money could buy.

marty

Now your scaring me. I found a barborshop that does the de shave... but I don't remember seeing a brush there. Ack, Imma have to have a talk with this so-called barbor before I sit in that chair. (I didnt get a shave at the time, I just got my haircut)

Top Bottom